Holy Cow errr ummm pig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: confused1234
/barfs all over

Not a fan of pork, eh?

A guy I work with raises hogs and cattle. I need to buy a half a cow or some fresh pork. Yummy.

Apr 17, 2005
dont you get attached to the thing? i think i'd have a hard time eating something I raised. Its the natural way that humans have tended to livestock for centuries but its just something I wondered about.

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
I am jealous now.

How much did the whole process cost ya? And I mean the cost of the pig when it went to the butcher and the butcher fees.
also, how much did it cost to feed the beast over its lifetime?

All together, it cost about $450 to $500 for all that meat, including paying for the baby pig, all the feed, and the butchering costs. We really didn't do that good of a job controlling costs (she was ready for the butcher in May, so we paid for 6 months of food needlessly) Next time, we'll know better; that'd have cut out quite a bit of the cost without really reducing the amount of meat that much.

Also, the butchering costs were a little higher, because I had about 1/3 of the meat smoked; the majority of roasts were smoked as well as all of the pork chops. That tacks on about 30 cents per pound. Regardless, the amount of effort to raise the pig was minimal... About 20 minutes per week to clean the stall (followed by 20 minutes of fence repair and chasing the pig around the neighborhood). Feeding her took all of 30 seconds or so, twice a day.

sweet golly, that isn't bad at all. It's a hefty investment for a single type of meat... but man, quality meat + low cost + accomplishment = awesome.

good work man. you have inspired me.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I should take pics of my mom's farm for you this turkey-day.

she raises dairy goats and the odd animal or two (pigs, cows, the inevitable chickens, peacocks).
Generally when I go down there, I'm up to my ears in chores, but I'll try and find time to snap pics

:)

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i wish i had a farm...i would get lots of joy out of raising a nice plump piggy then eating it a few years down the road...

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
dont you get attached to the thing? i think i'd have a hard time eating something I raised. Its the natural way that humans have tended to livestock for centuries but its just something I wondered about.

There's a disconnect between "pets" and livestock that people are able to enforce.

You might baby an animal and be sweet to it, but if your end goal is to eat it, there's an ever-present emotional distance.
To put it simply, I treat me dog very differently than I treat a bull calf.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow, nice.
I wish I was your neighbor so I could invade your BBQs. That being said I don't plan on moving to NY :)

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Did you get the head back as well?
I was sort of expecting to see meat chopped up in bigger pieces: legs, head...

I went back to my hometown this fall, and couldn't resist dropping by the farmers' market and taking some pics.
This guy is a butcher :) And as usual, you can buy a pig head whole, and other pieces.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
I had some fresh sausage once, from a friend's farm with pigs. One of the best things I have ever tasted, bar none :)

Try smoked sausage... one of the best things I've ever ate... Too bad we are not feeding pigs any more...

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
does the meat come from the butcher in convient little packages like at the grocery store?
do you kill the pig yourself or does the butcher do it?
does the bacon come in little strips or do you have to cut it up yourself?
what does pig eat?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
When I was 13, we went to a friends "pig roast" where they had an entire pig slow roasting over an open fire pit in their basement. the whole place smelled like cooked pig which i find gross...but the pork tasted primo!

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z
When I was 13, we went to a friends "pig roast" where they had an entire pig slow roasting over an open fire pit in their basement. the whole place smelled like cooked pig which i find gross...but the pork tasted primo!
Open fire pit in the basement :confused:

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza
358 pounds of pork... I didn't realize our pig was quite that big (that puts her pre-butchered weight at well over 500 pounds)

About 16 big ham steaks, 2 hams, lots and lots of roasts - smoked and unsmoked, a year's worth of bacon for breakfast on the weekends (including canadian bacon), smoked pork chops, spare ribs, picnic roasts, loin roasts, etc. Best part is that I know what the pig ate; the meat should be extra good :)

pork.JPG

your my hero :thumbsup: