Holy Cow errr ummm pig

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
358 pounds of pork... I didn't realize our pig was quite that big (that puts her pre-butchered weight at well over 500 pounds)

About 16 big ham steaks, 2 hams, lots and lots of roasts - smoked and unsmoked, a year's worth of bacon for breakfast on the weekends (including canadian bacon), smoked pork chops, spare ribs, picnic roasts, loin roasts, etc. Best part is that I know what the pig ate; the meat should be extra good :)

pork.JPG

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
dont pigs eat their own poop which is really not proving your theory wrong about "you know what the pig ate" .. so I fail

enjoy your meals :)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I had some fresh sausage once, from a friend's farm with pigs. One of the best things I have ever tasted, bar none :)

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Aimster
dont pigs eat their own poop which is really not proving your theory wrong about "you know what the pig ate" .. so I fail

Gee, not that I ever noticed. They're actually quite clean animals, despite what many people believe.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: Aimster

Gee, not that I ever noticed. They're actually quite clean animals, despite what many people believe.

Yea, the only reason pigs are stereotyped as being incredibly filthy is because farmers coop them up in incredibly filthy conditions. I would think a freeze graze pig that was taken care of would be really healthy.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
In Japan, they use to feed human poop to pigs--this practice was ended after US occupation during WW2. Sometimes you run across the most interesting things on wikipedia.

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
All that mention of meat makes me hungry. Nothing but supermarket preserved ham here :(

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
I am jealous now.

How much did the whole process cost ya? And I mean the cost of the pig when it went to the butcher and the butcher fees.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
I am jealous now.

How much did the whole process cost ya? And I mean the cost of the pig when it went to the butcher and the butcher fees.
also, how much did it cost to feed the beast over its lifetime?

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
Originally posted by: SophalotJack
I am jealous now.

also, how much did it cost to feed the beast over its lifetime?

All together, it cost about $450 to $500 for all that meat, including paying for the baby pig, all the feed, and the butchering costs. We really didn't do that good of a job controlling costs (she was ready for the butcher in May, so we paid for 6 months of food needlessly) Next time, we'll know better; that'd have cut out quite a bit of the cost without really reducing the amount of meat that much.

Also, the butchering costs were a little higher, because I had about 1/3 of the meat smoked; the majority of roasts were smoked as well as all of the pork chops. That tacks on about 30 cents per pound. Regardless, the amount of effort to raise the pig was minimal... About 20 minutes per week to clean the stall (followed by 20 minutes of fence repair and chasing the pig around the neighborhood). Feeding her took all of 30 seconds or so, twice a day.