holy check out this corvette

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i wonder how much it rotted away and if the engine is frozen solid?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I bet thqat car is going to need a lot of work unless it was professionally maintained while it sat.

I think I was more impressed with the 1984 Nissan 300zx that was on ebay - it had only 245 actualy miles. Now that was a sweet car :D The Corvette has never really been something special to me :confused:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Yay! I'm the high bidder! Wish me luck! :beer::)

DAMN :Q I would bid on it on the premise that the price is almost guaranteed to got higher, but knowing my luck, the seller would end the auction or something and I'd get stuck with it!!! :frown:

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Why would it be messed up? It can't just sit there?
I don't know, I'll let you know once I get it. Maybe we'll have an ATOT rebuilding party or something. :)

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

No, the gas will separate, the oil will spoil, and slew of other things can go wrong. Hell, all of the rubber could be dried out. A car is not designed to NOT be used, and after so many years, if not maintained, it won't run anymore.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
I don't know, I'll let you know once I get it. Maybe we'll have an ATOT rebuilding party or something. :)

wat was your max bid, 25,000.02? lol

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow

No, the gas will separate, the oil will spoil, and slew of other things can go wrong. Hell, all of the rubber could be dried out. A car is not designed to NOT be used, and after so many years, if not maintained, it won't run anymore.

Couldn't you just drain the oil and gas out, replace the seals, and go?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42 Why would it be messed up? It can't just sit there?
Couldn't you just drain the oil and gas out, replace the seals, and go?

Yea, but then the car woudln't be "just sitting there" ;) That would be maintaining the vehicle (but of course, there also a lot of other things that have to be done that I don't know of) ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Yea, but then the car woudln't be "just sitting there" ;) That would be maintaining the vehicle (but of course, there also a lot of other things that have to be done that I don't know of) ;)

I meant once you bought it and wanted to use it. :eek:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow Yea, but then the car woudln't be "just sitting there" ;) That would be maintaining the vehicle (but of course, there also a lot of other things that have to be done that I don't know of) ;)
I meant once you bought it and wanted to use it. :eek:

More than likely, all of the oil would have drained to the oil pan, and the engine block would have seized up after that amount of time, requiring it to be rebuilt.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Too bad it's an '82. That's about the worst year peformance wise other than the original C1's. I believe they all had 305 ci engine's and were so bogged down by emissions that they didn't even put put 200 hp.

That being said, it's very cool to find a NOS car like that. I bet the owner knew what to do to keep the car's engine in shape. You don't buy a Corvette and keep the plastic on the seats by accident. He knew what he was planning on doing with the car.

Sal

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I doubt it's just been sitting there since 1982. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been started at least once in a while.

The problems from letting it sit are minor compared to the problems that will develop from use. So what if you need to replace the seals, remove and clean the tank, change the oil?

It's still brand new, besids that. Not a big deal.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I doubt it's just been sitting there since 1982.
The person bought it to pack away and sell later. What do you think he did with it otherwise? It only has 8 miles on it and the original plastic is on the seats. It couldn't have been a show car with the plastic on the seats, so my guess is that the guy just prepped the engine from day 1 and stored it away. You can drain everything out of the car and put some kind of preservative in it to keep it from rusting. I've stored something for a couple of years this way. What kills you is if you let the gas evaporate in the tank or build condensation in the tank. Or.. If you just let the oil sit there unchanged.

Sal

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Salvador
I doubt it's just been sitting there since 1982.
The person bought it to pack away and sell later. What do you think he did with it otherwise? It only has 8 miles on it and the original plastic is on the seats. It couldn't have been a show car with the plastic on the seats, so my guess is that the guy just prepped the engine from day 1 and stored it away. You can drain everything out of the car and put some kind of preservative in it to keep it from rusting. I've stored something for a couple of years this way. What kills you is if you let the gas evaporate in the tank or build condensation in the tank. Or.. If you just let the oil sit there unchanged.

Sal
I meant literally just sat there with no intervention. That's what I'm saying, I doubt he didn't maintain the car.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I meant literally just sat there with no intervention. That's what I'm saying, I doubt he didn't maintain the car.
I don't know.. You gotta wonder about people that buy a car like that and just pack it away for 20 years without using it. I could never have a trailer queen or save a car for resale someday like this one. He might have a collection somewhere and this car might've been sitting up on blocks in a climate controlled bunker with dust filters. You never know. I should probably email the guy and ask him about this.

Sal