Holiday Bowl

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000
Wow, what a nice game. Back and forth, especially in the latter stages of the fourth. Does anybody know if Major Applewhite is going to go pro?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
he will probably enter the draft, but from there who knows what will happen

shaddow

May 6, 2001
but considering he did not start a game this year (until the holiday bowl) it will really hurt his draft possibilities, if he gets drafted at all it will probably be late rounds

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

<< but considering he did not start a game this year (until the holiday bowl) it will really hurt his draft possibilities, if he gets drafted at all it will probably be late rounds >>

even when he got benched a lotta people thought he was good. Keep in mind for the Hesiman race a lot of people discredited Chris Simms because they doubted whether he was even the best qb on the team. And I'd say yeah he wouldn't get drafted till middle to late rounds but then again so would most qb's. There isn't an extremely strong class of QB's this year.

-Ed

HaVoC

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Keep in mind there are current NFL quarterbacks the size of Major...Jeff Garcia, for example. Major may yet go NFL...or at least try the draft. I firmly believe there are not 100 better quarterbacks out there (1st-3rd string for the ~26 teams) in the NFL.

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
hey, BruinEd, all 4 Heisman finalist are QBs, so I'd say the QB class is pretty good. But I've noticed that most QBs who are good in college don't turn out very good in the NFL. A good example is our beloved Bruin Cade Mcknown, who was awesome in college but not so great in the NFL. It is for this reason that most teams pick QBs late.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
i just wish San Diego would take out Flutie and put in Brees (Purdue Fan Here)

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

<< hey, BruinEd, all 4 Heisman finalist are QBs, so I'd say the QB class is pretty good. But I've noticed that most QBs who are good in college don't turn out very good in the NFL. A good example is our beloved Bruin Cade Mcknown, who was awesome in college but not so great in the NFL. It is for this reason that most teams pick QBs late. >>

Eric Crouch might be converted to a RB or other position player given his speed (like his former alum Scott Frost), Ken Dorsey last i checked was a soph and probably going to stay another year. That leaves Rex (junior) Grossman, David Carr, Kurt Kittner, and Joey Harrington as the qb front runners. None of those 4 have been hyped as much as the famed qb class of a few years ago and none have been tagged as sure-fire blue-chippers with huge NFL potentials.

Not to mention with the Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, qb's have become much more of a risk and so it would take a Peyton Manning type of player for teams to draft qb's in the first round. Oh yeah...did I mention Drew Bledsoe is probably going to be floating around soon?

-Ed

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000

<< i just wish San Diego would take out Flutie and put in Brees (Purdue Fan Here) >>

Agreed, I am a huge Chargers fan, and I think we'll be seeing Brees next year. I think he can be a star in this league, but we'll see.

tigerbait

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
I played against Major Applewhite in high school. His team beat ours, but that was primarily because of Travis Minor (former FSU RB, now Dolphin).

He is a good QB... definitely should have started all the games this year over Simms.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

<<

<< That leaves Rex (junior) Grossman >>

that would be Rex (sophomore) Grossman
>>

ooops...sorry...thanks for strengthening my case though ;)

-Ed

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
geez, that was one helluva game.

when we (i go to UT :)) were down 19, i was thinking "haha, stupid *insert name of friend*, he paid 200 bux to go to the game, that must suck to lose that cash". at the end, i was thinking "holy crap, i wish i were there, it would have been worth every last cent!"

IndyJaws

Golden Member
Nov 24, 2000
What an incredible game :Q

Unfortunately, the best QB in the nation wasn't in a bowl game this year (Antwaan Randle El) :(