Hockey Cards, Baseball Cards and Stamps

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
So I've got this collection of hockey cards, baseball cards (football cards, magic the gathering cards lol so many cards) and stamps.

Most of it was just given to me by my uncle, the only thing I actually collected myself was magic: the gathering and I know exactly how much that is (isn't) worth.

One of the best things I have, at least in my opinion with my limited knowledge, would seem to be a full set of 1988 cards, including wayne gretzsky when he was still playing for the edmonton oilers.

I have various other sets and individual cards like this which may or may not be worth something.

I also have two two inch binders full of stamps from virtually every country on the planet.

I once tried selling a few pages of these stamps on ebay, but only made about ten dollars.

Really, if the collections are hardly worth anything, I'd rather just keep them. What do you guys think?

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think you oughta research what you have currently, online before you even CONSIDER selling it on ebay or any other place. Knowing what you have and what its worth is infinitely more valuable to you in the long run. Why sell something whose value might double or triple in the next four or five years? Research Research Research! You know how to use the web, run a search on some of the items you have and see what turns up, or you might end up giving away something that may end up worth alot of money.

~wnied~

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Unless you need the money, I think you should keep them. As someone who used to collect stamps a while back, I know the trouble of collecting and also the joy of it. You might not enjoy it, but hold on to it because it has personal value from your uncle.

The only thing I collect now is comics and although I don't read them, collecting them is fun.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
for the sports cards get a new becket price guide and research them.
can't remember wich company has the best stamp guide anymore.
might just have to dig out the old stamps and check mine too...
one thing to look for on the stamps is first day issues.
for instance i know i have a first day issue from lake placid for olympic icehockey (the year we took the gold from the russians)
also have fist day issue for speed skating (i think it was the hydens that took all the golds)
both were cancelled from lake placid on the day of issue and have a silk cache' of the sport they were of on the envelopes.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Keep the stamps, if anything, they'll only increase in value as they get older. Stamp selling is a huge business that's over glutted with suppliers, so don't count on making much money off of it.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
for the baseballl cards, unless the cards are within the last couple years, you want to get their big price guide.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Dumping sports cards on ebay is rather tough, at least in my experiences. Low demand for just ONE particular card that is notable, but not the cream of the crop.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Not to burst your bubble, but usually when people have something they know nothing about, it's crap. Just search eBay. It appears that an 88/89 Hockey set sells for around $15. Sorry to break the bad news.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Not to burst your bubble, but usually when people have something they know nothing about, it's crap. Just search eBay. It appears that an 88/89 Hockey set sells for around $15. Sorry to break the bad news.

I know that, and I'm not a big fan of keeping crap. I just want to know if there's anything of value, if there is then sell it and the rest I will get rid of.

All good advice, but I really don't have time to go through card by card or stamp by stamp looking for things of value. I suppose that's really the only way to do it. Or I could just let them rot in my drawers for another half century hehe.