Hoax claim for wearing MAGA hats? Woman says entire bar attacked her.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I read your posts. You are contradicting yourself. You are condemning violence, but also rationalizing that we should treat people by how they present themselves. That is simply not how society works.

How is that in any way a contradiction. We should both not excuse violence and treat people based on how they present themselves. This is common sense.

And yes, that is exactly how society works and you know it.

Nov 8, 2012
But I never made that argument or anything even close to it. In fact, I said the exact opposite repeatedly.

Lolwut. It isn’t backtracking in any way. This is just gibberish.

Yeah except for the part where I literally argued the exact opposite and you quoted it.

Nice job owning yourself.

That is either lack of English 101 or a deliberate attempt to misrepresent my very clear and obvious position.

This is an embarrassingly stupid post.

Yeah, uhh... Gotta just agree to disagree here. That's not the way I take your post/point when you say that anyone wearing a MAGA hat is inciting violence.

/brofist

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obnoxious drunken redneck bimbos provoke scuffle in bar, get tossed out. Blame hats. Bleating ensues.

I mean, you know, it's 15 minutes of fame, right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, uhh... Gotta just agree to disagree here. That's not the way I take your post/point when you say that anyone wearing a MAGA hat is inciting violence.

/brofist

I’m not going to agree to disagree. You claimed my point was literally the exact opposite of what I stated multiple times.

Sometimes people are right and sometimes people are wrong. You are demonstrably wrong here, by your own quotation.

Nov 8, 2012
I’m not going to agree to disagree. You claimed my point was literally the exact opposite of what I stated multiple times.

Sometimes people are right and sometimes people are wrong. You are demonstrably wrong here, by your own quotation.

Okay, fine? I'll try to refresh you as clearly as I can from my perspective

You said this:
But I never made that argument or anything even close to it. In fact, I said the exact opposite repeatedly.

Referencing my post here:
I get what you're saying - but you have some clear cut quotes here where you're indirectly implying it is the fault of the person wearing the hat that the event occurred. This quote is EXACTLY that. No - you can't presume that just because someone wears a MAGA hat that they are intending to provoke violence - that is obscene and ridiculous.

Which this is quote below I was referencing. You are CLEARLY STATING HERE that the hat is worn "specifically to provoke others"
Dressing provocatively is designed to have people be attracted to you, not commit a sex crime against you. Wearing these hats is done specifically to provoke others.

Comprende?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Okay, fine? I'll try to refresh you as clearly as I can from my perspective

You said this:

Referencing my post here:

Which this is quote below I was referencing. You are CLEARLY STATING HERE that the hat is worn "specifically to provoke others"

Comprende?

You cannot say someone is indirectly implying something they are directly stating they do not believe.

Provoking someone does not mean inciting violence. People can and are provoked in a million ways that do not result in violence. In fact, I also explicitly said what I meant by her provocation in this thread, something you also ignored.

You are wrong and you misrepresented my argument, either accidentally or deliberately. Either way there’s no shame in simply admitting you’re wrong when it’s this clear.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
You cannot say someone is indirectly implying something they are directly stating they do not believe.

Provoking someone does not mean inciting violence. People can and are provoked in a million ways that do not result in violence. In fact, I also explicitly said what I meant by her provocation in this thread, something you also ignored.

You are wrong and you misrepresented my argument, either accidentally or deliberately. Either way there’s no shame in simply admitting you’re wrong when it’s this clear.

If I interpreted your argument incorrectly - then I apologize and admit it.

The way I posted is the way I legit interpreted it. I don't intend to misrepresent your opinions. However I obviously wasn't alone as @Starbuck1975 clearly saw the same.

I read your posts. You are contradicting yourself. You are condemning violence, but also rationalizing that we should treat people by how they present themselves. That is simply not how society works.

Reactions: Paratus

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I do get a little kick out of her wanting her political decisions to be treated as a protected class. Guess we can just chalk the MAGA up as a feels based religion to make it happen
Typical MAGA meme. Even though they're running the country, they think their political beliefs make them a protected class, like a historically-oppressed minority group. But at the same time, they want all other political beliefs to be outlawed, because freedom.
That's what the MAGA culture of victimhood and entitlement does to you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If a stupid hat provokes someone to violence, they are the problem.
The stupid hat didn't provoke violence here. The drunks wearing the stupid hat provoked violence, and then blamed the violence on the stupid hat so that they could play the victim.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The stupid hat didn't provoke violence here. The drunks wearing the stupid hat provoked violence, and then blamed the violence on the stupid hat so that they could play the victim.
I believe the sequence is that drunks wearing stupid hats drew the exact attention they sought, and then pursued with cell phones in hand to capture a “viral” moment, with the police arriving and further mishandling the situation.

Nov 8, 2012
Fair enough. I gave it some thought and removed my comment.

Glad you were able to come around and realize that it's possible to actually own up and come to terms in a debate. It's amazing, I know.

Sad that fskimospy had to remind you - but admirable that you came back and retracted.

Hopefully we can see more of that in P&N with rational debate instead of innate partisanship.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Dressing provocatively is designed to have people be attracted to you, not commit a sex crime against you. Wearing these hats is done specifically to provoke others.

In no way does anyone's style of dress excuse violence or criminal activity against them but you'll also see these clowns get shocked, shocked I tell you when people ask them to leave or say nasty things to them.

Sure. But it's not surprising to get more unwanted attention. A hat that has MAGA on it is just signaling you're a Donnie supporter. It may upset someone, but if the person who has it isn't doing anything else, how is that asking for something anymore than dressing "sexy"?

Nov 25, 2013
Glad you were able to come around and realize that it's possible to actually own up and come to terms in a debate. It's amazing, I know.

Sad that fskimospy had to remind you - but admirable that you came back and retracted.

Hopefully we can see more of that in P&N with rational debate instead of innate partisanship.

Yeah, and then you had to ruin it.

Reactions: Meghan54

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

If someone acknowledges they were wrong, encourage it. 100%, every time. That's the only thing you should do: encourage it. If you include jabs like "sad that so-and-so had to help you see it" discourages future apologies and net makes the world a worse place. It's not ever sad than someone helps another person to see a different viewpoint and you agree with me. Why else would you post opinions on political message boards?

Nov 8, 2012
If someone acknowledges they were wrong, encourage it. 100%, every time. That's the only thing you should do: encourage it. If you include jabs like "sad that so-and-so had to help you see it" discourages future apologies and net makes the world a worse place. It's not ever sad than someone helps another person to see a different viewpoint and you agree with me. Why else would you post opinions on political message boards?

I entirely agree. The problem is that he had to have someone else tell him that what I did was admirable in order for him to see it.

It shouldn't take someone else telling you that to realize that messages quoting posts of apologies (mine) with simple things like "ROFL" serves no purpose.

Either way, the end result is the best result - and I commend both parties.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I entirely agree. The problem is that he had to have someone else tell him that what I did was admirable in order for him to see it.

It shouldn't take someone else telling you that to realize that messages quoting posts of apologies (mine) with simple things like "ROFL" serves no purpose.

Either way, the end result is the best result - and I commend both parties.

It isn't a problem that someone helped someone else to be better. It is a solution. :)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
That seems unlikely. Regardless, these people are wearing those dumb hats out specifically to get a reaction out of people and then pretend to be shocked, shocked I tell you, when they get a bad reaction from someone.
The other side of that coin is every bit as valid, people are grossly over reacting to a simple statement.