Ho Lee Moly! Dishonored

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by AFurryReptile, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Madia

Madia Senior member

My problem is that I did intstall it. Each time I launch it still prompts me to install it again. Whether I reintall it or not the game launches fine. I'm just getting the annoying message to install msiexec everytime I lauch no matter what I do.

2. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I was getting this with Age of Empires III the other day, maybe it's a recent bug?

3. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Wow, played two hours last night. This game is awesome. It reminds me a lot of Thief because of how much time you spend planning your move. I am admittedly a chicken so I watch the guards make their rounds like three times before I dare try to get past.

4. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Can someone explain to me how players (in videos I watch) are chaining together powers so quickly? For me, my middle mouse button (which is the scrollwheel) activates the menu. I also have hotkeys 0-9. Even then, it would take me some time to switch to Swarm and deploy rats, switch to Bend to slow time, switch to Possession to go into a rat, etc. It seems so seamless in the videos.

5. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

As soon as you activate a power you can immediately switch to another, you don't need to wait for the power to finish its activation. I switch a lot between using time bend and blink to go in, grab something and get out before anyone even knew I was there.

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

So you activate Bend (now time is slowed down), you blink into a room, blink out of it, (bend is still going on), and you switch to Bend and deactivate it?

Hotkey 1 - bend
    Hot key 2 - blink

1, right click, 2, right click, f (grab item), right click (teleport out), 1, right click ?

I can see that, but this chaining together long sequences is something I need to think about and get used to. Not many games require that sort of "scripting"

7. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

I don't deactive bend because by the time I am blink out it is ending.

I've also done bend, blink, then wind to knock a guy into a wall of light then blink again to GTFO

It takes some practice to get it all down, but when you do, oh it is satisfying.

8. coloumb

coloumb Diamond Member

Then you probably won't like it. You can run around and shoot/slice up everyone in site, but the game is definitely built around being stealthy [which is a lot more fun].

9. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Wow, just found out on the last mission that upgrading to Blink 2 gives you more range. I thought the description just meant I could sprint faster. That probably would have made things easier.

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Prior to this, what did you think the upgrade to Blink did?

11. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Just finished it, going to start a ghost/pacifist playthrough now I think. I got the evil/bad ending, which I was expecting because I killed everybody. I thought the city watch and the overseers were the same throughout most of the game, and I also assumed they were all corrupt. Oops.

One thing I didn't like was how sometimes it was pretty obvious when the story was being affected (like the way a character acts towards you suddenly changes one mission).

#211 coldmeat, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  12. StinkyPinky

StinkyPinky Diamond Member

So what powers do you guys think is good for a stealth based character? Not full on stealth since I'm happy to kill if needed, but I will always take the stealth option first.

Thinking...

Blink (level 2?)
    Possession (level 1?)
    Dark Vision (level 1)
    Bend Time (level 2?)
    Agility (level 2)

13. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

Possession lvl 2 is quite handy for some situation I have found as well. Bend Time, Blink, and Agility lvl 2 are all definites.

14. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Should I start a new game, or just go back and replay the missions again? If I replay mission 1 and do it different, do those new stats now carry forward to the next missions? It might be too late, because I've already started a new game.

15. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

does possession 2 kill the dude you possess?

I noticed that possession 1 kills the rat when it runs out. that would not be good for a no-kills run. or does it not count as a kill?

16. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

No it doesn't. I've taken possession of a few guards and when possession wears off you pop out behind them. I used it for the guards that had the dogs, the dogs don't follow you when you walk away with the guy possessed.

Just beat the game, 22 hours. I explorer the vast majority of it, play mostly stealth but did kill people, had an overall Chaos rating of low. It was excellent. I will be playing it two more times, once fully killing everyone and once total ghost not killing anyone.

I liked the ending I got, it was simple but it was fine.

17. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

well it says "level II: rapid forward movement for a longer distance". That sounded like a faster sprint to me.

18. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

I thought the same thing at first, but since Blink is rapid movement forward (you don't teleport) I figured it meant longer distance. I put it together after I went to blink through a wall of light and died, I think figured it out right after that hah.

19. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

This game is really fun.

20. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Hmm I am sort of stuck on the beginning mission where you are trying to get past the wall of light. It says to use the alley (I forgot the name) to get around the wall of light. At the end of that alley is the distillery, which I've already been through. There's a dead end. Now where else to go. Am I going the right way?

21. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

Look up, use the roof. No way is the right way.

22. KaOTiK

KaOTiK Lifer

Remember this game has many paths to the same areas. Think vertically.

23. sygyzy

sygyzy Lifer

Cool, got it!

24. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

I was feeling sort of underwhelmed by Dishonored for a while, but as I get further into it, I am liking it more again.

It's far from perfect, and I still don't think it's a 9/10. But as a huge fan of Thief: The Dark Project (avatar source) it brings back some good memories of that for sure.

It's a bit too stale and derivative of Bioshock, Half-Life 2, and some other similar titles, but it is better than I was giving it credit for at one point.

I do think I'm possibly just before the last mission and if that's true... that's unfortunate, it's also a bit short.

I meant for this to be a more positive post than it ended up being.

25. pontifex

pontifex Lifer

I'm in the kennels. How do you quietly and non-lethally take out a dog and handler?
    You can't knock out a dog without using the sleep dart. If you take out the handler, the dog is alerted. If you take out the dog, I assume the handler is alerted?

Does killing dogs count as a kill or is that just humans?

If a dog sees me, does that count as being seen or whatever?