Ho Lee Moly! Dishonored

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Looks like my next distraction. I don't know how this flew under my radar until this week.

Just need a few more weeks of Borderlands 2 and I'll be ready.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Dunno what kind of rig you have but do you use MLAA or FXAA in-game?
Didn't played yet but just loaded the game to see the video settings available and with my rig and res (1080p) can I throw everything at max?

FXAA iirc , I have everything max'd out and it runs smooth.
You should be fine with your rig. I'm playing at 1080 as well and am running 2x Xeon 5355 (8 cores @2.66) and a GTX 480 OC edition

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I'm just worried that the PC version will be a typical console port which I don't enjoy. And I can't play FPS games on my PS3 of X360

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm just worried that the PC version will be a typical console port which I don't enjoy. And I can't play FPS games on my PS3 of X360

It isn't your typical console port (actually from what I read the console port of the game has issues because of the PC version). My only gripe is the FOV can only be set up to 85 in the ingame menu which is a bit low, but doesn't really bother me honestly. Controls are solid, it runs great, it has a lot of options and fully customizable controls. The prompts that come up actually say hit J instead of a controller graphic for like A coming up.

Even though the game is in First Person I really wouldn't call it a shooter at all. Sure you could play it like CoD and you will pretty much miss out on 90% of the game doing that. This is a sneaky stealth explorering game.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bah... stupid 2012 with its ridiculous number of games worth buying. I was planning on getting AC3 at release but maybe I'll get this instead and hold off on AC3. It'll give them time to work out the bugs. But what about Guild Wars 2? I should jump on that MP bandwagon while it's still fresh right? ARGH!!!!!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
anyone find the combination to the safe in the sewer (Jelly's Share)? I've looked all around and didn't find it and I'm about to drop down to another level and it doesn't look like I can get back up. The note on it mentions something about whiskey to help you remember but I can;t find it.

haha, nm, just found it...

behind the safe is a shelf with bottles on it. break the bottles and on the shelf is written the combination. you then have to position yourself just right to turn the dials on the safe to that number.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
anyone find the combination to the safe in the sewer (Jelly's Share)? I've looked all around and didn't find it and I'm about to drop down to another level and it doesn't look like I can get back up. The note on it mentions something about whiskey to help you remember but I can;t find it.

Look behind all the empty bottles on the shelf next to the safe.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Can you easily select missions to replay if you didn't stealth all the way through them? Given the praises of replayability I would assume so.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
What I liked about Hitman was that once you finish the game, you can go back and redo missions without having to start the entire game over again. Would be nice if this game did that, but I don't think it will? Haven't played it yet. I ordered mine from the UK so wont get the key for a couple of days.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Does anybody know of a site that'll take amazon payments and has the digital version? I have a $50 gift card to use.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The website for the game mentions an "in-game upgrade system". Is this one of those games where you have to buy additional weapons or powers with real world cash?

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone know if there are any water enemies? I kinda have a phobia of water in video games, so I'd like there to be no surprises since it seems this game might have me swimming frequently.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Anyone know if there are any water enemies? I kinda have a phobia of water in video games, so I'd like there to be no surprises since it seems this game might have me swimming frequently.

You should play Bioshock

I hear it's really good :whiste:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The website for the game mentions an "in-game upgrade system". Is this one of those games where you have to buy additional weapons or powers with real world cash?

I don't think so. Sounds like they mean you can upgrade your skills with points etc. Pretty common theme in action based rpg's. (like Deus Ex)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007

Fuck. I'm not very far into the game and there's already fish that bite me when I try to swim. There's a collectible that I need to swim to that the completionist in me won't let me move on without, but I really don't want to have to go in that water.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Played the first mission and already consider Dishonored as GOTY material.
Even though some textures are meh, gameplay, environments, exploration, secrets, voice-acting, fun factor...everything is really well done and sometimes amazinggly cool.

Love the world, NPCs and multiple ways to complete a mission and neutralize your targets.

Love it!

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Fuck. I'm not very far into the game and there's already fish that bite me when I try to swim. There's a collectible that I need to swim to that the completionist in me won't let me move on without, but I really don't want to have to go in that water.

Er...you been reading the notes? It's implied very strongly early on that
they take all the infected who become zombie things to a particular district. The flooded district.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
About 10 hours in so far, just got back from the golden cat :D

I've been taking my time explorering everything and just checking everything out.
Amazing game.

Amit3945

Jul 29, 2006
Are the gfx THAT good that the game demands 5850 & 4 GB RAM as the base?(doesn't look like it).
What I take from the initial reviews is that the maps are NOT all that large, the textures NOT to 2012 standards,the physics (we have already seen before).
From the videos that I have seen, looks like there are lots of low res textures in the gameworld.
I have seen better textures from games from 2010 and they run just fine on my 4850.
So where exactly is this requirement coming from?
If 5850 will give me low settings, it looks like a horrible port.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Are the gfx THAT good that the game demands 5850 & 4 GB RAM as the base?(doesn't look like it).
What I take from the initial reviews is that the maps are NOT all that large, the textures NOT to 2012 standards,the physics (we have already seen before).
From the videos that I have seen, looks like there are lots of low res textures in the gameworld.
I have seen better textures from games from 2010 and they run just fine on my 4850.
So where exactly is this requirement coming from?
If 5850 will give me low settings, it looks like a horrible port.

You shouldn't pay too much attention to the system requirements that the publisher puts on the back of the box. They're pretty much always ridiculous and inaccurate. You can get a better idea by going to tech sites and looking at benchmarks for the game on different cards. I suspect Dishonored would run just fine on a 5850.

Of course, if the game is legitimately fun to play, then I don't care about having sooper-dooper high-res textures.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
What I liked about Hitman was that once you finish the game, you can go back and redo missions without having to start the entire game over again. Would be nice if this game did that, but I don't think it will? Haven't played it yet. I ordered mine from the UK so wont get the key for a couple of days.

I watched a quick look, appears you can do exactly that. It basically puts you back at whatever point you were when you first did that mission.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
This game is awesome. Feels like Thief 2 the metal age meets skyrim with some assassins creed and deus ex thrown in for good measure. This game is definitely satisfying my longing for wanting a new Thief game for almost a decade now.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm having a lot of fun with this game, it's really amazing so far. My only gripe is that the UI elements are huge, does anyone know of a tweak or something to shrink it?

zijin_cheng

May 11, 2012
For all you people who hate steampunk (like me), great game and fun to play but every time I look at my surroundings I start hating the game again...