Ho Lee Moly! Dishonored

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It doesn't have to follow Corvo, it could just be in the games world. If they stuck with Corvo they could do quite a bit still because we only know that he does his job till he dies and nothing inbetween.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Maybe...but it feels like a complete game. I kind of equate the name of the game to corvo.

Although they could use the Outsider as the catalyst for the other games. Like he will present anyone who has been wronged with the opportunity to redeem their honor and give them the powers. Could be interesting to learn more about that part of the game world too.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I really liked the game but the outsider was one part I didn't care for.

It was like Death joined a boy band or something

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I really liked the game but the outsider was one part I didn't care for.

It was like Death joined a boy band or something

The outsider needs to be explained better, but it was the most interesting part of the game. It's how you are able to do the things you can do.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm fine with there being an Outsider, but I'd prefer he was portrayed differently. Maybe a disembodied voice, not an N'Sync member.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
So I played through once in my normal ham-handed, let-god-sort-them-out mode. Now I'm playing through again with the intention of killing no one. If I rewire the light walls and arc pylons and the guards get themselves killed on them, does the game count these as kills?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I might have to pickup this game. I saw it on someone's top 10 games of the year list (I think it was number 2).

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
So I played through once in my normal ham-handed, let-god-sort-them-out mode. Now I'm playing through again with the intention of killing no one. If I rewire the light walls and arc pylons and the guards get themselves killed on them, does the game count these as kills?

Yeah. If you do anything that makes them die, it counts.

I got through the game relatively easily without killing a soul. Lots of save scumming to do it, but it isn't that difficult to do. The game reminded me quite a bit of Hitman, and I liked that you could even take out the targets without killing them.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah. If you do anything that makes them die, it counts.

I got through the game relatively easily without killing a soul. Lots of save scumming to do it, but it isn't that difficult to do. The game reminded me quite a bit of Hitman, and I liked that you could even take out the targets without killing them.
I ran the Overseer mission and didn't think I killed anyone but the summary screen said I killed one person. I didn't reverse a light wall so I wonder if somebody I shot with a dart fell and drowned or something. Except for a couple spots (like getting out of prison) kill-free seems to be easier than fighting.

any good deals on this game? planning on playing it when I finish witcher 2

$29 at Amazon.

Last edited:

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Just beat it, awesome game but like I just killed everyone lol. Not a single mission was done in stealth lol.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
wXflN.jpg

Why did I never hear about this?

Edit: The debut trailer.

Profanity is not allowed in thread titles
-ViRGE
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who. The. HELL came up with that image?

I just finished the game on PC yesterday. It is NOTHING like that graphic AT ALL. The game is a ~10 hour game and absolutely minuscule compared to Skyrim. Of course, the huge majority of buildings are not internally rendered or anything of the sort, nor are the levels at all massively populated. The game consists of ~9 missions linearly laid out and not on particularly large levels, either.

The game is fun and worth a play through if purchased for <$20, but:

1) It's absurdly easy. Magic makes the combat just too damn easy.
2) Story line is super-duper weak sauce and predictable as hell, and I never predict stories because I'm stupid, but I could predict this one
3) Characters are uniformly boring and/or have poor voice acting. Not a single character was memorable to me

This is absolutely not Bethesda's best work and I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for it when it came out.

Again, it's worth a play through, but eminently forgettable.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
that image was promo material before the game was released. Something like 100% of games are released with wild expectations that tend to fall short.

meh.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah that image is ancient well before the game was released. At the time the early trailers and the hype seemed to suggest it was some open world game set in some massive city. Alas, that wasn't the case. Still a fun game but I would have preferred a large city to free roam in. But I guess that's a lot of work.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Dishonored is my GOTY last year. Loved it. Playing stealthy was so good, if you played it as a normal FPS or very quick paced you really missed out on a lot of the game. It took me 21-22 hours to beat on my first play through.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I thought Dishonored's environment/atmosphere was rather bland and Corvo too powerful (esp. once he accumulates those magical abilities). I played stealthily but there is little punishment when discovered by foes. Corvo handles himself too well in combat for a stealth game and escaping is just as easy. In this sense, Dishonored is not quite Thief.

I had some fun with Dishonored but little urge to replay it. I guess it does not quite have that 'survivor' mode feel that XCom EU Ironman has. :)

p.s. The OP's image is just wrong. Dishonored's world has nothing on Skyrim, Assassin's Creed or even Deus Ex.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Agree. The game is easy, short, linear, and with lacklustre graphics. Storytelling style is pretty unimpressive too. Couldn't really get into it. A game like Deus Ex: HR came out way earlier and was superior in all these departments

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
that image was promo material before the game was released. Something like 100% of games are released with wild expectations that tend to fall short.

meh.
This is an actual Bethesda-endorsed image? Are we sure? I want to be sure because, if so, I want to legitimately look at all future announcements from them and discard them as garbage.
Agree. The game is easy, short, linear, and with lacklustre graphics. Storytelling style is pretty unimpressive too. Couldn't really get into it. A game like Deus Ex: HR came out way earlier and was superior in all these departments
Deus Ex HR was massively better, I agree.

The one level on Dishonored that looked beautiful was the mansion somewhere half way through the game, it was way over the top gaudy but it was really a well detailed area.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
The one level on Dishonored that looked beautiful was the mansion somewhere half way through the game, it was way over the top gaudy but it was really a well detailed area.
Did you mean the grand party by Lady Boyle? On that level, I thought the only thing worth a mention was the steamed shark dish (gaudy indeed), but the 'meh' textures still show even on the room decorations.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com

If you're going for the clean hands achievement (no killing) there's some really specific rules you have to adhere to, more or less any death (even accidental) in the map will count towards you, even the weepers, there's only a handful of things you can safely kill, make sure to read up on it. If enemies die through environmental hazards (rewired walls etc), you'll get the kill.

I did the ghost and clean hands achievement on my recent play through, that's never being spotted and not killing anyone, it's super rewarding and you have to figure out the alternate method of disposing with your targets for every mission.

The non linearity of the game is one of it's strengths, all the missions have alternate solutions, multiple paths, etc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is an actual Bethesda-endorsed image? Are we sure? I want to be sure because, if so, I want to legitimately look at all future announcements from them and discard them as garbage.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to suggest that it was straight from Bethesda--though the use of "promo" certainly suggests that.

What I meant was that it reads like fan promotional material--maybe someone played a demo at one of the tech conventions and created this image based on early impressions and the things promised.

But, I would imagine that just about any company is going to tout what they hope to include in the final product early on, and it will tend to disappoint at least some people if certain goals are not met.

If this practice causes you to scrutinize Bethesda in the future, then I suggest you apply the same scrutiny to all developers and distributors (bear in mind that a lot of this marketing crap will come from the distributor, whether or not the developer approves the truthiness of such claims).