hmm, traffic ticket. Mitigation hearing or contested hearing?

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Two lane road, the car in front of me was slow, I cut to the left lane.
Then cop pull out, I saw him, knowing he was going to signal me, so I pulled back to the slow lane waiting to be stopped.
He walked over and asked me what I did wrong, I said possibly a bit speeding.
He agreed and also said my tail-light needed to be fixed.
Asked me for ID, registration, I couldn't find my registration, so he brought my driver license back to his car.
A few minutes later, I got a ticket of improper lane use.
He said he couldn't charge me with speeding but he would charge me swerve left and right.
The only reason I went back to the slow lane was because I saw him pulling out.
The ticket didn't mention speeding nor broken taillight.
What action should I take?
Mitigation hearing or contested hearing?

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
how much is the ticket?

I really don't think you can contest it really(meaning you didn't do it).

Better to do mitagating. although it means you agree but you will get a reduced fine.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Not that it matters but, pay the fine. If you contest it and lose in court, then you have to pay the court fees on top of your ticket.

A friend and I were in a car in a parking lot and a lady reported that we nearly ran her over to the police ( we weren't even close ) she also said he was speeding ( even though we just pulled out of the parking spot ). He went to trial with it and lost. Total fine was $237 with court fees which were $56 or something.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Mitigation, it's the best you can do. You can't prove the motivation behind what you were doing, so you can't get off that way. And from the sounds of it, the cop was out to make a quick buck, no question.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
The guy was nice and wasn't a jerk about it. Just pay the fine and walk away.

SOFTWARE2ndComing

Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: XZeroII

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I just hate you kind of people talk shlt without any responsibilities.
What if you were on the spot, what if you are the one getting the ticket?
Then you might be the one post a thread here, and crying for help or advices.
Read the topic, he is asking whether you should have a mitigation hearing or contested hearing.
Even a freaking moron knows how to pay up a ticket. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003
I have been member of this board since December, 2003 and if I learned anything is most people on this board hate speeders or at least they pretend to while posting here. Regarding your ticket and what you should do

In order to decided what you should do you should count how much will it cost you to show up to court to right the ticket vs. just paying it

If you fight the ticket

Your time (plus if you have to take day off work how much will that cost you)
Court fees if you lose the case
Chances of winning the ticket-I usually count the chances of 50/50 as he wrote you for only one thing

If the cost of fighting is lower then just paying the fight it, otherwise pay the ticket

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: SOFTWARE2ndComing

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I just hate you kind of people talk shlt without any responsibilities.
Read the topic, he is asking whether you should have a mitigation hearing or contested hearing.
Even a freaking moron knows how to pay up a ticket. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

You suck at teh posting
rolleye.gif

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
I got charged with "improper lane use", I didn't speed.
$100 I could really care less, but it's the principle that I don't want to admit to something I didn't do.

I just want to make sure, I have the right to cut to the left lane when the guy in front of me is slow.
And when I see the cops pull out, going back to the right lane was the correct action for me to take.
Because either he will need to go as an emergency or pull me over.

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003
Originally posted by: UncleWai
$100 I could really care less, but it's the principle that I don't want to admit to something I didn't do.

I just want to make sure, I have the right to cut to the left lane when the guy in front of me is slow.
And when I see the cops pull out, going back to the right lane was the correct action for me to take.

when you cut back to right lane was the cop lights and siren on? if so you can use defense that you are following the law but letting emergency vehicle go by you.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjosh

when you cut back to right lane was the cop lights and siren on? if so you can use defense that you are following the law but letting emergency vehicle go by you.

Exactamundo, he had his light flashed, no siren.
I talked with my bro, agreed to contest it.

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003

Exactamundo, he had his light flashed, no siren.
I talked with my bro, agreed to contest it.

keep us updated

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I have been member of this board since December, 2003 and if I learned anything is most people on this board hate speeders or at least they pretend to while posting here. Regarding your ticket and what you should do

In order to decided what you should do you should count how much will it cost you to show up to court to right the ticket vs. just paying it

If you fight the ticket

Your time (plus if you have to take day off work how much will that cost you)
Court fees if you lose the case
Chances of winning the ticket-I usually count the chances of 50/50 as he wrote you for only one thing

If the cost of fighting is lower then just paying the fight it, otherwise pay the ticket

Wow, you learn quickly. :)

I'm not sure what your chances of winning are if you contest it, but it really doesn't sound like you did anything illegal if the cop said he couldn't get you on speeding. What's wrong with moving into the left lane and then back to the right lane? You were going to pass him but you changed your mind - you weren't using the passing lane improperly.

I don't know how it works in other states, but when I got a ticket in Indiana I had to pay the court fees whether I contested it or not. The fine was listed as $10, court costs were $75.50.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SOFTWARE2ndComing

dude get a dummies guide to posting or something.