hmm, intel chips sure are sturdy!!

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
my old PC has been going slow for aaaages when i push it (all cores going, video encoding and 100+ tabs etc) and i notice in task manager it's only going at 1.6Ghz.

lo and behold!
awwaxz.png
:hmm:

well, it's handling it pretty damn well! been like that for at least a year i think. :$

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your HSF is either no longer attached or the fan has died. The chip is thermal throttling because it is hitting TJmax.

I had a laptop that did that to me, finally realized the thermal pad that DELL used had literally fallen apart such that the laptop HSF was no longer making contact with the die. Replaced the TIM (as the other two posters said) and it runs like a champ again.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
the weird thing is - it is spinning and attached. must be loose though.

to be honest, i've wanted a new PC for a while and i've had this for 5 years or so and it's time to say goodbye :)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Your HSF is either no longer attached or the fan has died. The chip is thermal throttling because it is hitting TJmax.

I had a laptop that did that to me, finally realized the thermal pad that DELL used had literally fallen apart such that the laptop HSF was no longer making contact with the die. Replaced the TIM (as the other two posters said) and it runs like a champ again.

Still ... you have to let go of some warranties to do that ...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Still ... you have to let go of some warranties to do that ...

DELL laptop, warranty is worthless the day you press the "purchase" button on their website. In my case the laptop was 3yrs old, so it hardly matter who manufactured it. Replacing the defunct TIM was the only option if I wanted it to be functional.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Damn,his q6600 is the b3 stepped model so he has had it about what 5 years maybe?

Think most of us got the revised g0 stepped q6600,including myself and yeah it was a beast,found my q6600 was severely bottlenecking my then new gtx295,so switched up to a i7 940 which made a difference.:p

Those q6600 chips still have a few years of service i believe for moderate gaming,then after that it will still have plenty of life left as a basic desktop chip.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
it gamed fine last year or whenever the 6000 series with the dual bios came out and i stopped gaming on that PC.

the way things are going it could go another 5 years probably - even gaming with a 720p ish res would probably be fine.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
B3 are TANKS!
Quite honestly one of the most durable intel quadcore cpu i have ever got to test / play with.

i have said this to many people... good luck trying to kill one.

I honestly have tried and failed under standard parameters normal people would use for cooling and insane voltage.

Now u want to talk about a glass cannon....
Yorkies... sigh... faqen yorkies... the E0's would go oh so high... and loved voltage like crack candy... however exactly like crack candy, they crashed pretty hard.... and pretty quick.

Last edited:

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
well, you've seen the temps on mine above - gotta be like that a year at least.

got the new parts now and pretty much finished. just mount in the case etc tomorrow and i'll be done. once everything else is setup i can retire the tank :)

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
I had a friend ask me too look at his pc because it was "noisy and slow". The fans were running 100% all the time, when I took the HSF off there was almost a complete layer of dust sandwiched between the thermal paste and the HSF plate.Turned out he had removed the HSF to clean the dust off it and then decided to clean all the dust from the inside of his case before slapping the HSF straight back on with the old paste (and dust) sandwiched in the paste.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Haha, if this computer had a mind, it would protest its retirement with the following:
"just clean up the old thermal compound from my cpu and heatsink and put new thermal compound on it."

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Time the change that TIM

Woah change the tim lol

"just clean up the old thermal compound from my cpu and heatsink and put new thermal compound on it."

Why is it everyone immediately suspects the TIM? I would first suspect the fan isn't spinning, which is easy to test for. If spinning, my second suspicion since it is an older system would be dust. I've seen heatsinks with so much dust in it that after the fan was removed, the dust could be peeled off like the lint in a clothes dryer.

I've seen posts about people getting magical results after removing the HSF and reapplying TIM on an old computer, and invariably (if they admit it) they would mention that while they were at it, they also blew the dust out of the heatsink. :rolleyes: Yet the results must have been the new TIM.

I had a laptop that did that to me, finally realized the thermal pad that DELL used had literally fallen apart such that the laptop HSF was no longer making contact with the die.

That's because it was a pad, not a thin layer of the typical thermal compound.

DELL laptop, warranty is worthless the day you press the "purchase" button on their website.

YMMV. I've had two good experiences with Dell warranty service in the past few months. Yes, they will want to run through troubleshooting, but in my case "He's dead, Jim." Won't power on even with a different AC adapter and battery from a second, identical unit. Because my warranty was for depot repair and not on-site, Dell mailed me a pre-paid shipping box. I received the fixed notebook less than a week after I shipped it.

What's worthless is the fact that the second, identical notebook also failed in a similar manner. D: Both failed just before the 1 year warranty was up. I've never had another Dell notebook fail me (so far) and I've owned many. So, avoid the Inspiron Mini 1012 netbook.

I had sold my second, working unit to someone and it died on them, not me. They had a similar experience with getting it easily repaired under warranty. Since warranty just ran out on both I gave them the one I still had, for free, just in case it dies again.

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
fan is spinning - trust me - i stuck my finger there to check as it was dark and couldn't see.

btw, i built the PC so no dell type warranty anyway.

i'm almost done with the new PC build now anyway (booting, just no discrete gpu/drives etc added yet). once thats' done and setup proper, i'll take the HS off this thing and check out what's going on. maybe i'll throw pics of the cpu/HSF and the dust situation.

either way, a 3.4ghz IB is going to be a hell of an upgrade from a throttling/seriously hot Q6600 :D still can't believe how it's runnign fine at this temp. i always thought - stay around 60C max - but that might be from the old athlon x2 days.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
still can't believe how it's runnign fine at this temp.

Needing super low temperatures is another "enthusiast fallacy" to be filed with the other fallacies of needing a super powerful PSU, among others. :whiste:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Why is it everyone immediately suspects the TIM? I would first suspect the fan isn't spinning, which is easy to test for. If spinning, my second suspicion since it is an older system would be dust. I've seen heatsinks with so much dust in it that after the fan was removed, the dust could be peeled off like the lint in a clothes dryer.

I've seen posts about people getting magical results after removing the HSF and reapplying TIM on an old computer, and invariably (if they admit it) they would mention that while they were at it, they also blew the dust out of the heatsink. :rolleyes: Yet the results must have been the new TIM.
Of course, if there's a bunch of dust, it's the dust that was the main problem. But if you're going remove the dust, you'll need to apply TIM afterwards, so why not say "time to replace that TIM:. ;) BTW, It happened to me(backstory in the next paragraph).

I still have a functional Prescott Celeron computer given to my family by someone. When we first got it, the fan was noisy, but bearable. Eventually, the fan was spinning as loud as loud can be and temps were easily in the 80s. I noticed and opaque layer of dust on the heatsink. This before I knew thermal compound even existed. I got the compound, then I cleaned the heatsink. I took off the fan and then took off the wads of thick, hard dust on the aluminum, and then applied my TIM and heatsink(with some difficulty, but no damage done)

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
well, finally took the old PC apart. piccies of the paste/fan.

30wv76g.jpg

30u7fdh.jpg

wjm1w.jpg

33uve5e.jpg

wow, that does not look good :eek:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Is your motherboard really that dirty and grimy? Where do you keep your computer, in a coal mine?

And do my eyes deceive me or is the paste actually watery-like?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
But if you're going remove the dust, you'll need to apply TIM afterwards

Why "need?" Has anyone tested temps in all permutations?

temp with old TIM and layer of dust "felt"
temp with old TIM with dust cleaned off (don't have to remove heatsink)
temp with new TIM and with dust cleaned off

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
well, finally took the old PC apart. piccies of the paste/fan.

wjm1w.jpg
Oh, the mass of grey under that fan. Dust-clogged heatsink strikes again!!! I doubt compressed air is gonna take that off. That fan must have been running loud. I know it was when my Pentium 4 Celeron heatsink had the exact same situation.

Last edited: