Hmm... I need packing peanuts and boxes

bandXtrb

Banned
May 27, 2001
Now taht I started ebaying, i need this stuff. It's $6.29 for two cubic feet of packing peanuts on staples.com. I used to keep a big bag of packing peanuts, as well as boxes from shipped items... but my mother threw them out :(

I just thought of something. Anyone want to mail boxes full of this stuff to me for a small fee, or is the shipping gonna outweigh the benefit?

bandXtrb

Banned
May 27, 2001
It's not as good though, right? I'm going to be shipping out a couple of hard drives, and I'll definitely need good packing for those.

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
If you don't mind ordering boxes in 10+ quantities, check out the USPS website. They will send you boxes priority boxes for free, but it usually takes a couple of weeks to get them. Considering most people send packages through USPS priority it is a nice service.

Sorry, but I don't have the link handy right now.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I work for a packaging and shipping company... I can tell you that peanuts definitely suck at protecting anything. The best packaging materials I've found are foam blocks, and densely packed shredded paper (or just newspaper). Bubble wrap definitely helps, and provides the first layer of protection, but shouldn't be used alone. Reading UPS's packaging manual = suck.

Josh

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Newspaper is OK. Just pack it well with a lot. If it's something like a hard drive or something else fragile, I wrap it in bubble wrap and then wrap it around newspaper and put it in a box full of newspaper :) I've sold hundreds or even thousands of things on eBay and I've never had a packaging problem. I've always used newspaper by itself or with bubble wrap for more expensive items. 600+ positives with only 1 negative.

bandXtrb

Banned
May 27, 2001
That's great info Canoworms. I can get newspaper for free :)

And the HD's are boxed so that's good.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Also, double box things that are potentially fragile. This eliminates most damage, but you will never have 100% protection no matter what you do; I've seen projectiles that have gone through the middle of some boxes. It's clear that no amount of good packing would help in a situation like that.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I get the newspaper for free, too :) I take large piles of the university newspaper and other university publications.

If you decide to use USPS Priority Mail boxes, be sure to tape the boxes even though they have their own seal. Sometimes they peel apart.