History: Iran's Democracy Destroyed by U.S.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
It's been a while, i forgot YOU NEVER READ ANYTHING. Go review and try again.

Clown.
K. I read it again.

So where's the beef because your contribution was decidedly meat free? Put the tofu away and actually say something with some real content instead of using posturing little phrases like "REPEAT ground level disturbances" and "The CIA was undermining him at the GROUND LEVEL."

Neither of those trite little utternaces say a damn thing and appear to be nothing but pure pretenses of knowledge on your part.

The CIA had no more business interfering then than it did in helping install Pinochet.
Considering our long-term relationship with the Shahs of Iran, before it was even officially called Iran, and our business interests there, we sure did have business "interfering." No doubt in a perfect world everyone would stay out of everybody elses business. But we do not live in a perfect world and superpowers to this day meddle in the affairs of other countries. The US is surely not alone in that respect. In fact our own meddling has been rather ho-hum compared to some others. Going back to Iran's own history in the Persian Empire they themselves never had any qualms about interfering in the business of others, including conquest. So they have little room to bitch and complain themselves.

What an asinine argument - because wrong was done before, our wrong is ok?

This shows you lack any values, basically, because pretty much any wrong you can do, has been done, which is an excuse for you.

You aren't pushing for good behavior, you're pushing for bad behavior and excusing it.

Was the appropriate response to the corruption of King George III simply to defeat him and create our own equivalent corrupt regime? Was the appropriate response to Hitler for us to defeat him and conquer the world ourselves, to treat the Germans as they had treated the Jews? Are you about trying to make the world a better place, or using the worst means to simply gain power for your nation?

Your arguments are based on moral bankruptcy.

Your cliches about the world not being a perfect place are overstated to the point of absurdity. They have a legitimate role in defending SOME wrongs - not license for anything.

If the US stands for anything good - for democracy, for individual freedoms and rights - then it has something to be held to, and overthrowing democracy for greed falls short.

The fact that you are unable to see that point is why you are an immoral citizen, a voice for evil.
Not surprised you completely missed my point. Not surprised at all that it goes completely over your head. You'd rather respond using the slime tactics and mischaracterizations a few others typically employ in here instead of actually engaging in a discussion. Pitifully sad.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Incredible you accuse me of not providing meat when all you have done is provide a completely false set of bulletpoints. Again you seem to have a problem with facts, books, reading, or anything otherwise necessary to obtain knowledge.

The CIA kicked Mossadegh out of power, he was not losing popularity without the CIA. For one, you clearly didn't know about the CIA's ground game, second, you make a breathtakingly stupid argument that the undemocratic shah only should have been able to dissolve parliament but for mossadegh to do it was undemocratic.

You don't know any history far as I can tell, stop pretending otherwise.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Incredible you accuse me of not providing meat when all you have done is provide a completely false set of bulletpoints. Again you seem to have a problem with facts, books, reading, or anything otherwise necessary to obtain knowledge.

The CIA kicked Mossadegh out of power, he was not losing popularity without the CIA. For one, you clearly didn't know about the CIA's ground game, second, you make a breathtakingly stupid argument that the undemocratic shah only should have been able to dissolve parliament but for mossadegh to do it was undemocratic.

:thumbsup:

This is normal for TLC though. More than a few members have gone through numerous circle jerk arguments cause he won't admit he was wrong.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Those who are denying the US & UK role in operation Ajax which resulted in the overthrow of the prime minister of Iran and installation of the Shah need to read this:
Operation_Ajax

If you don't like the wikipedia entry, although it is correct, heres a link to GW Univ website with details, quote:
This extremely important document is one of the last major pieces of the puzzle explaining American and British roles in the August 1953 coup against Iranian Premier Mohammad Mossadeq. Written in March 1954 by Donald Wilber, one of the operation?s chief planners, the 200-page document is essentially an after-action report, apparently based in part on agency cable traffic and Wilber?s interviews with agents who had been on the ground in Iran as the operation lurched to its conclusion.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/N...8/index.html#documents

Direct link to documents (also on the link above)
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/N...8/index.html#documents

The CIA assisted overthrow and installation of the Shah is arguably one of the key events which lead to the rise of modern Islamic terrorism and mass anti-Americanism in the middle east.

Sep 12, 2004

The CIA kicked Mossadeq out of power? How, exactly? By backing the Shah, who still had Constitutional authority in Iran?

And can you prove that Mossadeq had the authority under the Iranian Constitution to dissolve Parliamnent?

What you can't seem to get through your thick skull is that I am not backing either side in this. I'm not playing favorites. I'm just dealing with the facts of the matter. It's YOU who have your usual case of the hate-the-US ass and assume that because you have chosen a favorite in that horse race that others must also.

Nor did you explain the meaning of your vapid little "CIA's ground game" phrase, even though you've employed it once again.

So explain what you're trying to say because you still attempt to argue this by presenting a glossing over of any facts and using trite, non-committal phrases and furious hand waving. But that's typical of your style of argumentation in here.