history buffs save me now!!!

bigbootydaddy

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
ok, i just read an excerpt about the robber barrons...civil war times, that few rich ones took advantage of recession and railroad and western opportunity

question is what drove these men?? from the quotes i read its pure greed in their individual part and growing monopolies.(vanderbilt, rockerfeller)

anyone confirm?? i gotta write a short paper and cant afford mediocre grade.

also how this impacted american society (depression) economy (depression again) politics (bribery??)

thanks in advance
Back to reading

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From everything I remember, there was nothing but greed involved. The expansion of the railroad system was hardly done for the national good, and the running of railroads was decidedly dangerous until about WWI (an average of about 10,000 people died each year between 1890-1920 -- somewhere around that, pretty amazing).

Since there were few controls on the formation of monopolies, and money could be made hand over fist by dominating an industry, the robber barons did just that and profited handsomely. Rockefeller is the richest man in the history of the United States, and his assets were not paper stock certificates like Bill Gates.

Most of these robber barons, much like Bill Gates today, went heavily into philanthropy in their later years as perhaps they were regretting the sins of their youth. I believe Rockerfeller endowed dozens and dozens of libraries around the country.

Now, do your own homework. :D

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
yes, greed and power was what they were striving for. I would look for good quotes on the net aobu them.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
AndrewR, your namesake Andrew Carnegie was the library guy, not Rockefeller.

On the subject of robber barons, don't forget Jay Gould.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
The "Robber" Barons were great heros who helped build the US into the powerhouse it is today. They funded much of their expansion via bonds and shares. Their innovation was crucial to the development of our current day financial markets.

Michael

monckywrench

Aug 27, 2000
Add the term "Manifest Destiny" to your web search.
The economic impact was beneficial (the infrastructure layout lives to this day) but the political impact was predictable. Naturally the wealthy and powerful have more leverage than the poor and trivial, who however still gained enormously from the social changes of the Industrial Revolution.Mobility, jobs, etc.
The Robber Barons brand of drive, brilliance and ruthlessness was necessary to build our transportation and industrial infrastructure. Good thing Politikal Korrectness hadn't been invented yet, or the expansion of civilization would have been bogged down by hordes of whiners. :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
One result of the RBs was the establishment of labour unions and workers rights. I view them in a similar light as Hitler, people who abused their power, acted criminally, but many things they did had long lasting beneficial effects.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
kranky, I knew it was one of the two. :) 50/50 chance, and I missed it -- that's why I don't play the lottery!