His response: "I believe in God"

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So, I was driving with a coworker to a job site, and I said, "Hey, have you seen the new photos from the surface of Mars"?

His response:

"Well...I believe in God"

I am still trying to figure that one out. Literal interpretation of genesis perhaps? So sad.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
So he thinks mars is god? I mean many ancient mythologies speak of planets as gods...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's clue you can't talk to him about anything other than the immediate job at hand. There's nothing of value that can be derived from him, and any discussion has a likelihood of going south into fantasy land.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
you should have gone off on him.

"what the fuck kind of answer is that?"

"i just wanted to know if you saw the pictures"

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Did you ask him to elaborate?

In Vacation Bible School (thanks, mom), one of the girls in our group started talking about how much she hates that there is evolution in schools. She said that she doesn't think we should be learning about Dinosaurs because 1) They are not real because 2) They were not mentioned in the bible.

:<

Feb 6, 2007
Photographs aren't mentioned anywhere in the Bible. Fact. Therefore, photographs do not exist. Quid pro quo. E pluribus unum. Semper fidelis Tyrannosaurus.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I think he's just messing with your head. That's just so non-sequitor it doesn't even follow non-logic.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You should have responded with, "You realize that cars are the work of the devil" then removed his seatbelt while screaming "Jesus we're coming home!" and accelerated into a wall.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
That's clue you can't talk to him about anything other than the immediate job at hand. There's nothing of value that can be derived from him, and any discussion has a likelihood of going south into fantasy land.

Thats true. I have an idiot coworker who swears the Earth is less than 5000 years old, citing reasons found in the bible. At first I tried to engage him and convince him that the gasoline he puts into his cars is more than 5000 years old. of course he doesn't believe in fossils, carbon dating, radiometric dating, half lives of greater than the time allowed in the bible etc... I cant take him seriously and I just won't engage or debate him on scientific subjects. It's pointless.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What an idiotic response. I can't even begin to contemplate the massive level of stupidity in that comment.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Thats true. I have an idiot coworker who swears the Earth is less than 5000 years old, citing reasons found in the bible. At first I tried to engage him and convince him that the gasoline he puts into his cars is more than 5000 years old. of course he doesn't believe in fossils, carbon dating, radiometric dating, half lives of greater than the time allowed in the bible etc... I cant take him seriously and I just won't engage or debate him on scientific subjects. It's pointless.

I used to work with a fundie(a couple actually). He was a nice guy, but... We'd occasionally discuss philosophic topics that could be construed as religious, but were of general interest. Everything would be going great, with us being on common ground, and he'd drop something ridiculous, like the earth being 6,000 years old or something like that. I can't work with that kind of data. I either have to stay silent, or someone's gonna get butthurt. Used to piss me off ruining a decent discussion like that :^/

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
???????

Why didn't you ask him what that had to do with anything? I'm sure if he believes in God, he believes he created Mars too.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

You work with me?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Tell him that Pat Robertson says it's OK to believe otherwise now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...sm-earth-is-not-6000-years-old_n_2207275.html

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Tell him that you believe in having smart friends and your buddy is severely testing your Faith.

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005

My favorite irony is that they use television to spread these troothz.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
So instead of asking him to elaborate, you came here and posted about it? Were you not looking for an explanation?