HIS ATI 4870 512mb wont show image

Timaneo

Jan 17, 2005
Pc worked fine last night
Turned on this morning and don't get any image after windows boot screen but can hear the windows sound boot up in the background and can tell it is booted up fine just no image.
Boots into safe mode fine but can't uninstall anything.
Put in my neighbors 8800gt, gets into windows fine, uninstall all ati drivers.
Put in 4870 back in and it gets into windows, installed driver 9.4 and restarted, no image again after boot screen.
Did everything again but with different drivers, 9.3, 9.1 and still no image. Also tried windows update ati driver. With the older drivers I couldn't install in safe mode because I get an error "hardware detection failed" but worked fine with 9.4.
I Read online that people had same problem and updated Microsoft visual c++ to 2008 version. I did that and still not working.
I am using windows 7 build 7048 but I don't think that has anything to do with it as people online had same problem with vista.

I spent the last 5 hours uninstalling/installing the software and switching video cards and just about give up, I also called HIS tech support but they were a waste of time.

Edit: problem fixed, was a loose monitor cable on the monitors side. Doesnt even make sense why it worked fine with nvidia but not with ati. Wasted a total of 8 hours.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Yeesh, not a fan of ATi drivers and unfortunately thats your issue (as you know). Not to mention you are using a Beta OS, so problems are to be expected. Something had to change between last night running fine to this morning and its not. Either you installed a program/update or an autoupdate occurred. This is just my opinion of course so its not concrete. Check to see if any updates were installed last night (or if you know you did) and uninstall them. In Vista text thats the location. But Windows 7 is probably something close to that. Anyways, good luck!