Hired-Fired same week

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The local newspaper called me and asked me to do a 3 times a week column on computers and the internet. I wrote 5 issues of the column and gave these to the editor. The first one was relating to pci modems, the second was a little hard drive upgrade, etc. The next day the editor called and wanted a meeting so I went down to the Newspaper office, sat around for about 45 minutes getting a little hot under the collar because I had to wait, when I talked to the editor he asked why I had chosen not to write about Apple machines as that is all they have at the paper. I told him I only wrote about real computers and not some Berry looking piece of crap that no one understands and does not even have a outlet in our city.
End Of Job.
Bleep

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
AAAAHHHHH, one of the real heroes of our times. He should be honered with the purple heart of PCism.;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I'd still be using a Mac if there were any decent software and the prices weren't astronomical. I like Berry! Berry berry nice.

Funny story, though. They shouldn't have fired you, just asked for a few Mac columns.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
So, why does it matter which computers the paper company uses? Most readers would be using PCs... ?

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Haha - thats pretty funny. I can't beleive they fired you over something that stupid!

Isn't upgrading modems and HDD's pretty much the same for PC/MAC?
1) plug device in
2) OS detects device
3) You load drivers from CD
The end.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Actually to upgrade the modem or hardrive for a mac the best tool to use is a hammer and or chainsaw.

BiB

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
I would have stated: My next story I was planning was going to be on the MAC. The boss is always right unless he asks you to do something illegal. It's his paper, let him pick the stories. I use to have columns in 3 separate newspapers. The editor always suggested to me on what to write about. Sometimes I didn't agree, we discussed it and we still did it his way. This is the real world - you either do it your bosses way, or the highway. Not that I like MAC's, but I would have liked the chance to learn about MAC's. Who cares if there isn't even a store for MAC's. If there are people using MAC's, they must have gotten them somewhere. Ask more questions before you take a job and you won't be disappointed later.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
that was a bit stupid.

that is, having apples at the office :p

--

enough apple bashing for now, since i like macs...

that was pretty stupid. not every mac looks like a berry. too bad apple does not have a halle model :p

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
WOW:
Supprised to see all the replys. In this case the boss was not right. In our second meeting we came to terms that I would have complete control over the column and that I would write about Personal Computers (P.C).
I was not looking for the job, they contacted me. I do not need the job. It was really a good feeling to tell the BOSS what I thought. It was a happy day for me. Darn I wish they had a office full of Packard Bells. ;) :)
Bleep