Hindus and Muslims in monumental dispute over Taj Mahal

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Oh and I forgot to add - Amol - it doesn't matter how many times you have been to India. Your knowledge is still sub-par. India was never modeled to be a "Hindu Nation", always a secular. In fact, the word Hindu is not even Indian.

The term Hindu was often used to refer to an ethnicity (historically by people from outside the Indian subcontinent) just as Jew is used to refer to a particular ethnicity. In this sense it encompassed ethnic South Asians including Indians, Nepalis, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc., regardless of their religion, and was often spelt "Hindoo".

EDIT #2 - VHP = KKK of India. Basically, they claim that everything is built on a Hindu temple and should be given to them. They have said that about Christian Churches, Muslim Mosques and Sikh Temples (Ex. Golden Temple). As long as there are people like you inside and outside of India, their strategy will work.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
let them pick.

dont get in their business .

if there needs to be some killing. let there be...

I am evil today.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: boredhokie
I think the Hindu's should be able to hold onto it, since they're less likely to blow it up.

No kidding. They'd declare it "un-Islamic".

Islam is so goddamned useless....

agentsmith101

Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: ravana
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Why do the Indian people on here think that the Islamic guy that built it is Hindu?

Cuz they missed history class in school.

The Mughal's were Muslim rulers, what part of it is not clear?

The part which says that they took over India by force, they used INDIAS PRECIOUS RESOURCES to build the taj mahal, dont give me shite about how they somehow magically built it with their own money. It was built on the back of Hindu workers. PLUS there are 2x more muslims in India than Pakistan so India is very Muslim anyway and should keep it. (and as has been said the waq was made AFTER independence).

Kevin1211

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: UlricT
Originally posted by: Aimster
Originally posted by: UlricT
Originally posted by: amcdonald
They should give it to MTV so they can make a reality show with indians and muslims living in it.

wtf? Being Indian does not exclude being muslim. It has the third largest population of muslims in the world.

What is 2nd?

pakistan passed India a little while ago I believe. Indonesia is first I believe.

correction, first is saudi arabia, where 100% of the people are muslim....

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
what the hell....

1) Pakistan has more Muslims than India has Muslims
2) Kashmir's population is Muslim (majority)
3) Saudi Arabia is not 100% Muslim and they do not have the largest population of Muslims.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Kevin1211,

Saudi has a population of like 25 million including expatriates.
Pakistan has a population of 150 million or so (they are said to be the 3rd largest islamic nation)

You do the match.

You are talking percentage, everyone else is talking in terms of actual numbers.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Kevin1211
what the hell....

3) Saudi Arabia is not 100% Muslim and they do not have the largest population of Muslims.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/sa.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107947.html
http://www.saudia-online.com/saudi_arabia.htm

Saudi Arabia has a population of around 25 million people.
Indonesia has a population of around 140 Million?

How is Saudi Arabia #1?

No country is 100% Muslim.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: 5ayle
LOL! this is the funniest thread I've read in a while... I can't believe how ignorant some of you guys are in here! No really, somebody should publish a guide to the modern world written Maxim/FHM style so some of you guys can read it and get learned. I think like 2 or 3 posters had something uselful to say.
This is the problem with India man. So many random conspiracy theories about mosques built on Hindu temples and Hindu temples built on Muslim graves--reality is these are petty organizations led by petty people who only want one thing--MONEY!

They spread lies to their followers because if they say there's a temple in the locked basement, they'll believe it. There are countless other examples--"the largest diamond was given to the British by Muslims"; "xxx was the most beautiful temple in the world but it was destroyed by Mughals" etc. etc.

Its sad that people blinded by faith will believe anything--most Hindus still believe that Ganges water is sacred and safe to bathe in and drink.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Jassi
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
Originally posted by: venk
Give a Muslim an inch (Kashmir) and he will try to steal your entire country.

Yeah no kidding.

Kashmir has been Muslim for a while.

There was a time when it had a large Hindu population. But terrorists scared off a large majority of the Hindu population. One branch of my family (mothers aunt's family) was killed in their home. Another branch saw all the males killed and the females kidnapped...

edit: To stay on topic, it belongs to the country and no one organization.

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Jassi

In fact, the word Hindu is not even Indian.

The term Hindu was often used to refer to an ethnicity (historically by people from outside the Indian subcontinent) just as Jew is used to refer to a particular ethnicity. In this sense it encompassed ethnic South Asians including Indians, Nepalis, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc., regardless of their religion, and was often spelt "Hindoo".

If i'm not wrong, Hindu comes from the word Hindustan ( which is the hindi name of India ) .. It encompassed Indians, Nepalis, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis because at that time, all these countries were part of Hindustan, a.k.a. India.

EDIT: Found this from a google search:

The word Hindu originated, not as the name of a religion, but as a geographical marker. Hindu derives from the Sanskrit word for river, sindhu, from which the Indus River received its name. Sometime in the first millennium B.C., the Persians, who were then South Asia?s closest neighbors, mispronounced sindhu, and designated the land around the Indus River as hindu. Over a thousand years later, in A.D. 712, the Muslims invaded the Indus Valley. To distinguish themselves, they called all non-Muslims hindus; the name of the land became, by default, the name of the people and their religion (Schoeps, 1966, p. 148). Christians, upon entering Hindustan (as it was then called), committed the same error of reduction. From their perspective, the indigenous people were all idol-worshipping pagans, so they christened the Indians gentoo, a derogatory synchronization of ?gentile? and ?hindu.? Thus the name hindu originally was given by outsiders to denote a geographic territory, but through the encroachment of various other religious groups it came to encompass all native religions in South East Asia.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
They should give it to MTV so they can make a reality show with indians and muslims living in it.

:laugh:

That was fvcking hilarious.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Kevin1211
what the hell....

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/sa.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0107947.html
http://www.saudia-online.com/saudi_arabia.htm

Saudi Arabia has a population of around 25 million people.
Indonesia has a population of around 140 Million?

How is Saudi Arabia #1?

No country is 100% Muslim.

shens. Nation of Islam.

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: aplefka

:laugh:

That was fvcking hilarious.

Why? coz thats been happening for so long? I had a damn mosque 2 properties behind my house. No problems till now... Its all a power struggle that uses religion as a tool, and takes advantage of fools who cannot realise that fact.

Jassi, nice info. I couldn't really bother finding so much :)