Hindus and Muslims in monumental dispute over Taj Mahal

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Hindus and Muslims in monumental dispute over Taj Mahal

Wed May 18,11:57 AM ET

link

AGRA, India (AFP) - An ownership battle has erupted over the world's most famous monument to love, the Taj Mahal, as it celebrates its 350th anniversary.

The magnificent 17th-century structure built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as a tomb for his beloved queen, Mumtaz Mahal, is owned and managed by the Archaeological Survey of India as a national monument.

But the Sunni Waqf Board, which oversees Sunni Muslim graveyards and mosques throughout India, has staked a claim to the white-marbled tomb, saying since the monument houses Muslim graves, the Taj belongs to it.

The Taj in Agra in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh contains the tombs of Shah Jahan and his queen along with other tombs.

Contradicting the Muslim claim, a hardline Hindu outfit, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP or World Hindu Council), says the Taj Mahal's builders constructed it after demolishing a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva, one of the most important gods in the Hindu pantheon.

The Hindu group says the monument should be declared a temple and adds the key to the mystery lies in a sealed basement in the Taj that it says contains the "pillars and artefact of a temple".

On either side of the massive platform on which the Taj stands are steps down to the basement that has been locked for as long as people can remember.

"If the basement is opened, it'll reveal the truth. I know it contains Hindu pillars and temple artefacts," said Agra VHP leader Raghvendra, who goes by only one name.

Former MP Subramanian Swamy, head of the regional Janata Party, recalled he was not allowed to see the basement when he visited the Taj in 1978.

"I was later called by (former prime minister) Morarji Desai who said I should not press the matter as it was in the national interest that the basement be kept sealed," he told AFP. "The government has something to hide and the issue should be thoroughly investigated."

The Waqf board, which under powers granted to it under India's 1950 constitution can summon witnesses and decide cases involving its interests, is to hold a hearing Friday to which it has summoned the Archaeological Survey.

The survey is to present its response to the board's show-cause notice asking why the Taj cannot be handed over to the Waqf board. If the two sides cannot agree, the case will go before the courts.

Archaeological Survey officials did not return calls for comment. But Archaeological Survey administrator Ghulam Ali Qamar, the custodian in charge of the Taj between 1958 and 1976, says no one knows what is in the basement.

"We once tried to drill a hole to see what's inside but the walls are so thick we couldn't even make a dent," he said.

Waqf chairman Hafiz Usman said the body would do everything it could to establish its claim to the Taj and says "we will go all the way to the Supreme Court to get the Taj".

"These people can say anything but the fact remains the Taj was built by Shah Jahan and it has graves. Therefore, it is Waqf property," Usman said.

The Waqf is also laying claim to seven percent of the around three million dollars paid annually by the 2.3 million tourists it draws each year.

Usman said if the issue was not resolved amicably, it could turn into another flashpoint like the demolished Babri mosque in Ayodhya, also in Uttar Pradesh.

"Some aggressive elements in the VHP will begin praying at the Taj and we could have another Babri," he said.

The mosque was razed in 1992 by thousands of Hindu zealots, most of whom belonged to the VHP and claimed it was built by the Mughal emperor Babur after demolishing a temple of Lord Ram, another important Hindu god.

The mosque's destruction sparked nationwide riots in which at least 2,000 people, mainly Muslims, were killed.

Usman said nothing would change if the Wafq Board were awarded title to the Taj Mahal. "The Taj will always be remembered as built by Shah Jahan. It will only be owned by the Waqf for administrative purposes," he said.

Historian Akhilesh Mithal, an expert in Indian historical monuments, said there was no truth to Hindu claims that a temple preceded the Taj.

"There's clear evidence the land to build the Taj was purchased from the Maharajah of Jaipur," Mithal said. "I've seen a map which clearly shows there was only a garden on the land where the Taj stands. There was no temple."

Regarding the Waqf claim it is their property, he said the body had no claim to the Taj as it was only set up after India's independence in 1947.

------

Pick who you would give it to. :D

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
They should give it to MTV so they can make a reality show with indians and muslims living in it.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
lol bannination ensues

why if I said "fvck christians" there would be no problem. Would the mods fear an attack on the servers or something?

<--for the record not christian

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
the VHP has being doing this everywhere (claiming hindu temples are under muslim boards). Fvck them for trying to make everything a hindu fundamentalist issue. And fvck the waqf board who just want to grab the money. Fvcking radicals on both sides should be tied up for the vultures to peck on, so they know how it feels to be preyed upon!

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: amcdonald
They should give it to MTV so they can make a reality show with indians and muslims living in it.

wtf? Being Indian does not exclude being muslim. It has the third largest population of muslims in the world.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: UlricT

wtf? Being Indian does not exclude being muslim. It has the third largest population of muslims in the world.

What is 2nd?

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Aimster

What is 2nd?

pakistan passed India a little while ago I believe. Indonesia is first I believe.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Hindus

Not just because I am one, but because Mumtaz Mahal (the guy who built it) was Hindu.

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Sheepathon
"It's not God I have a problem with, it's his fanclub" :)

Lol... Can't stand anyone who falls for organised religion. Damn sheep who can't exercise enough brain cells to think independently!

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

You assume too much!
How do you know I wasn't referring to Native Americans?

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

What is 2nd?

pakistan passed India a little while ago I believe. Indonesia is first I believe.

correct

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001

What is 2nd?

Pakistan has ALWAYS had a larger Muslim population than India :confused:

In fact, Pakistan was separated from India in 1947 when they got independence from Britain because Hindus wanted their own state and Muslims wanted their own state.

So India was a "Hindu" state (even though now, there are Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists) and West and East Pakistan (now Pakistan and Bangladesh) were considered Muslim states.

UlricT

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Amol
Hindus

Not just because I am one, but because Mumtaz Mahal (the guy who built it) was Hindu.

Bullsh!t... you are saying that just because a body of a person buried at the site is of a certain religion, the whole site belongs to that religion?

The Taj Mahal is a National Monument! And it MUST stay that way... or we risk civil war. Seriously.

<conspiracy theory>
This conflict will be blown up by american/european media (which also broadcasts in India) so that in-fighting begins, thus holding back the threat India could become to the US economically. The Indian ppplz will fall for this just as they felll for the british strategy 60 yrs ago, and will try to rip each other to shreds.
</conspiracy theory>

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

:laugh:

I think the government shouldn't hand it over to ANYONE. It's not just important to Hindus and Muslims...it's a world heritage.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Hindus

the guy who built the brookly bridge was german
the architect of the statue of liberty was a frenchman

these are still american structures.

:)

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Hindus

Bullsh!t... you are saying that just because a body of a person buried at the site is of a certain religion, the whole site belongs to that religion?

The Taj Mahal is a National Monument! And it MUST stay that way... or we risk civil war. Seriously.

<conspiracy theory>
This conflict will be blown up by american/european media (which also broadcasts in India) so that in-fighting begins, thus holding back the threat India could become to the US economically. The Indian ppplz will fall for this just as they felll for the british strategy 60 yrs ago, and will try to rip each other to shreds.
</conspiracy theory>

Shouldn't belong to a certain religion, but if it's going to go to a certain religion, it goes to the Hindus.

If I say Mother India, we're back to square 1.