Hillary's pastor defends Obama's

Feb 10, 2000
Reverend Dean Snyder, the pastor of Foundry United Methodist Church, the church attended by the Clinton's during Bill's presidency, has spoken out in defense of Senator Obama's pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

The following is quote from Dean Snyder republished in the Dallas South Blog:

The Reverend Jeremiah Wright is an outstanding church leader whom I have heard speak a number of times. He has served for decades as a profound voice for justice and inclusion in our society. He has been a vocal critic of the racism, sexism and homophobia which still tarnish the American dream.

To evaluate his dynamic ministry on the basis of two or three sound bites does a grave injustice to Dr. Wright, the members of his congregation, and the African-American church which has been the spiritual refuge of a people that has suffered from discrimination, disadvantage, and violence.

Dr. Wright, a member of an integrated denomination, has been an agent of racial reconciliation while proclaiming perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear. Those of us who are white Americans would do well to listen carefully to Dr. Wright rather than to use a few of his quotes to polarize.

This is a critical time in America?s history as we seek to repent of our racism. No matter which candidates prevail, let us use this time to listen again to one another and not to distort one another?s truth.

I'd like to see the Reverend Wright issue recede into the background, as I regard it as a red herring when we have much more substantive issues to debate, but I am gratified that at least some people have managed to distinguish Reverend Wright's entire career from a few carefully-selected sound bites. While I am not crazy about the comments that have been replayed ad nauseum on Fox News etc., I think in the context of his ministry they are hardly the end of the world.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
According to polls released yesterday and discussed on the NBC Nightly News (I forget which exact polling group) the Wright incident has had little effect on Obama so far, merely slowing down his increase in popularity rather than even causing a dip.

But if you are sick of it already, keep your airline bags handy. For sure Fox News will run it from now to the election, and CNN from now until Clinton caves in. And that's now even counting the inevitable 527 group ads.

One possible positive side effect-the 10% of voters that still think Obama is Muslim may realize their error.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
isn't that the same poll that also showed Hillary's unfavorable ratings slip and, coincidentally, oversampled blacks?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
isn't that the same poll that also showed Hillary's unfavorable ratings slip and, coincidentally, oversampled blacks?

No, the poll showed her unfavorable rating going up-I think it was 48% among DEMOCRATS alone. Given the astronomically high negative rating she has always polled, I'm personally mystified by her insistence on focusing on the electibility issue, which is her weakest point. (PS-I think, but am certainly not positive, that the poll I'm referring to was a WSJ/NBC one).

Incidentally in the Quinnepiac (sp?) poll released for my state (CT) in this morning's paper, Obama beats McCain here but Clinton and McCain are neck and neck. This is in a state that hasn't gone GOP in the Presidential race in twenty years. It looks to me like Hillary would be another Dukakis.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Just ?sound bites?? Really?!

Does Reverend Jeremiah Wright refute his own statements as being unrepresentative of his beliefs?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oh look. Hillary's pastor blames whitey as well. This is just grand. So it's all whitey's fault. I think I get it now.

"naw, naw, naw - God DAMNED America!"
*cheers*

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553

No, the poll showed her unfavorable rating going up-I think it was 48% among DEMOCRATS alone. Given the astronomically high negative rating she has always polled, I'm personally mystified by her insistence on focusing on the electibility issue, which is her weakest point. (PS-I think, but am certainly not positive, that the poll I'm referring to was a WSJ/NBC one).

http://online.wsj.com/article/...66843.html?mod=WSJBlog

It was among all voters, so factor in all the Reps that reflexively hate her. Consider she only has 37% positive rating and Obama has 49% positive, yet they still draw even on head to heads. This means people who don't like Hillary still support her, and even though a lot of people like Obama they don't plan on voting for him.

But hey, Rev Wright is only polling at 4% positive rating :)

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Obama on pastor: If he hadn't left, I would have

White House hopeful Barack Obama suggests he would have left his Chicago church had his longtime pastor, whose fiery anti-American comments about U.S. foreign policy and race relations threatened Obama's campaign, not stepped down.

"Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying at the church," Obama said Thursday during a taping of the ABC talk show, "The View" that was broadcast Friday morning.

LOL, see how fickle Obama's moral compass is. Who's going to "calibrate" it for him now? The opinion polls perhaps? ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Oh look. Hillary's pastor blames whitey as well. This is just grand. So it's all whitey's fault. I think I get it now.

*cheers*
Yeah he probably mistakenly thought all white people were like you.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

White House hopeful Barack Obama suggests he would have left his Chicago church had his longtime pastor, whose fiery anti-American comments about U.S. foreign policy and race relations threatened Obama's campaign, not stepped down.

"Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying at the church," Obama said Thursday during a taping of the ABC talk show, "The View" that was broadcast Friday morning.

LOL, see how fickle Obama's moral compass is. Who's going to "calibrate" it for him now?

weird statement to make with his new pastor saying stuff like:

The lynching was national news. The RNN, the Roman News Network, was reporting it and NPR, National Publican Radio had it on the radio. The Jerusalem Post and the Palestine Times all wanted exclusives, they searched out the young ministers, showed up unannounced at their houses, tried to talk with their families, called up their friends, wanted to get a quote on how do you feel about the lynching?

I know we don't like to think about Saint Obama straying from the truth, but I'm pretty sure this is a complete falsehood:

had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

LOL, see how fickle Obama's moral compass is. Who's going to "calibrate" it for him now?

weird statement to make with his new pastor saying stuff like:

The lynching was national news. The RNN, the Roman News Network, was reporting it and NPR, National Publican Radio had it on the radio. The Jerusalem Post and the Palestine Times all wanted exclusives, they searched out the young ministers, showed up unannounced at their houses, tried to talk with their families, called up their friends, wanted to get a quote on how do you feel about the lynching?

I know we don't like to think about Saint Obama straying from the truth, but I'm pretty sure this is a complete falsehood:

had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized

I think Obama saying that had Wright not left, Obama would have, is falsehood enough. After 20 years of this stuff all of a sudden he'd have left? Well, maybe he would have, but it would have been for political expedience, not some new found sense of moral outrage.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

*cheers*

A "typical white person" doesn't have white guilt or believe or buy into victim mentality. What this guy was saying was some pretty deep BS. Nothing more than blame whitey.

But it's well known that democrats need victim mentality. The so called "victocrat".

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

*cheers*

A "typical white person" doesn't have white guilt or believe or buy into victim mentality. What this guy was saying was some pretty deep BS. Nothing more than blame whitey.

But it's well known that democrats need victim mentality. The so called "victocrat".
How would you know, you aren't a typical white person. you're a typical partisan nutjob who happens to be white that takes things said out of context and things said by one person and attributes it to another, most definitely. A typical race baiter who happens to be white, affirmative on that too.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

*cheers*

god damn americans who do not fear that america is damned for allowings gays. OH and interracial marriage.

and abortion !!!

and ....

oh and condoning war, violence, and terrorism blah blah blah....

right? isn't that the way it should be?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Does Reverend Jeremiah Wright refute his own statements as being unrepresentative of his beliefs?

They were out of context, except for the ignorant ones.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

They were out of context, except for the ignorant ones.

Yes, they were out of context. They were meant for a black audience, not a white one.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
For Christ's sake! Wright didn't just say "God damn America" because he hates America. He said that GOD said that he will damn a nation that oppresses people.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
For Christ's sake! Wright didn't just say "God damn America" because he hates America. He said that GOD said that he will damn a nation that oppresses people.

You really think that matters? What a situation really is and what it can be spun to look like need only have a casual relationship with each other. I mean look at the folks pushing the anti-Obama spin...like they were PRO Obama before Wright's comments became public.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
The biggest problem is the church is heavily focused on race.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing acquired skills available for strengthening and supporting Black institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

http://web.archive.org/web/200...www.tucc.org/about.htm

Do you think that the above would be accepted as ok, if you replaced every "black" with "white"?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: shrumpage

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing acquired skills available for strengthening and supporting Black institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System

Do you think that the above would be accepted as ok, if you replaced every "black" with "white"?

I guess we'll find out if white people ever become the minority and have a parallel context that we can apply.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

1. Commitment to God

I guess we'll find out if white people ever become the minority and have a parallel context that we can apply.

Are you suggesting that it is only okay if you are considered the minority?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

I am suggesting you are comparing unlike circumstances where pushing for the promotion of power of a majority race that has obvious advantages is not comparable to the pushing for power of a minority race that has historically been oppressed. It would be disingenuous to do otherwise.

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

I am suggesting you are comparing unlike circumstances where pushing for the promotion of power of a majority race that has obvious advantages is not comparable to the pushing for power of a minority race that has historically been oppressed. It would be disingenuous to do otherwise.

White power = not acceptable
black power = acceptable

double standard.

America is about integrating, their basic philosophy is separation based upon race. Its not an American family, but black. Its not a city community, but black. Its not Our leadership, but black.

I'd be wary of any political candidate who accepted such ideas.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
I'd like to see the Reverend Wright issue recede into the background, as I regard it as a red herring when we have much more substantive issues to debate
Absolutely not. Obama has a very short track record, so we have very little to go on to figure out if he's the right person for the most powerful position in the world. To me this is an issue that goes to the very core of the man. If you not only attend a church where such racist rants and ideas are accepted, but also take the man making racist and looney comments to be your "moral compas" in life, that says a lot about the candidate and his qualifications to be a leader for all Americans. To me the answer is a resounding "no", and I hope this issue continues to get hammered home all the way through to November to make sure the public gets to see it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Throckmorton

You really think that matters? What a situation really is and what it can be spun to look like need only have a casual relationship with each other. I mean look at the folks pushing the anti-Obama spin...like they were PRO Obama before Wright's comments became public.

Conversely all the people who think belonging to a "black values" theology chruch for 20 years isn't telling ARE pro Obama.

Bottom line, he lost support, but try and spin it away as best you can.