• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Hillary's pastor defends Obama's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
3,850
0
0
Heh, those who supports Obama before this Wright thing will do anything to justify Wright's comments and Obama's association with Wright. Basic human nature, people don't like to admit they are wrong.

Hillary's paster's defense on Obama's paster only shows her good judgment in picking the right paster and the people she associate with. Her paster is light years ahead of Wright in compassion and tolerance.
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,033
64
91
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
I'd like to see the Reverend Wright issue recede into the background, as I regard it as a red herring when we have much more substantive issues to debate
Absolutely not. Obama has a very short track record, so we have very little to go on to figure out if he's the right person for the most powerful position in the world. To me this is an issue that goes to the very core of the man. If you not only attend a church where such racist rants and ideas are accepted, but also take the man making racist and looney comments to be your "moral compas" in life, that says a lot about the candidate and his qualifications to be a leader for all Americans. To me the answer is a resounding "no", and I hope this issue continues to get hammered home all the way through to November to make sure the public gets to see it.
I really take exception to the proposition that there were any "racist rants." Some of the things he said are statements I wouldn't myself embrace, but taken in context they are hardly outrageous and certainly not racist IMO. This is a man who has been an ordained minister in a racially mixed church, in predominantly white denomination, for 30 years. He has been a leader for the rights of women and gays in the church as a whole, and his record is generally impressive. I am not defending the entirety of his comments, but I also think he's unfairly being portrayed as a wacko.
 

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
65,481
5
76
So Wright gets a pass for such hatred and bigotry? And obama gets a pass as well?

What does it take for me to get this magic pass? Do I have to be black to get the special pass?


-edit-
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. It's like they're trying to be so politically correct that there can't possibly be anything wrong with a black racist bigot.
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,033
64
91
Originally posted by: spidey07
So Wright gets a pass for such hatred and bigotry? And obama gets a pass as well?

What does it take for me to get this magic pass? Do I have to be black to get the special pass?


-edit-
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. It's like they're trying to be so politically correct that there can't possibly be anything wrong with a black racist bigot.
In what way is he racist? Saying that America is predominantly run by white people is not racist, and I have never heard or read one comment by Wright that I would consider racist. Feel free to correct me - I may be wrong - but I have to believe that if he had truly made racist comments they would have been repeated ad nauseum on Fox News et al.
 

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
1,304
0
0
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: spidey07
So Wright gets a pass for such hatred and bigotry? And obama gets a pass as well?

What does it take for me to get this magic pass? Do I have to be black to get the special pass?


-edit-
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. It's like they're trying to be so politically correct that there can't possibly be anything wrong with a black racist bigot.
In what way is he racist? Saying that America is predominantly run by white people is not racist, and I have never heard or read one comment by Wright that I would consider racist. Feel free to correct me - I may be wrong - but I have to believe that if he had truly made racist comments they would have been repeated ad nauseum on Fox News et al.
But saying that the government is out to get blacks - I'd say that is racist.

?The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.?
Calling the "US of KKK" is bringing racism to an issue.

As i pointed out earlier, you take the church mission statement, and replace the word "black" with the word "white" would it be considered racists?
 

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
12,414
0
0
It's interesting how his comments are only reflected on white/black relations. As neither white nor black, I find some of his comments extremely offensive. He speaks as if whites are responsible for everything and control everything. That completely demeans so many other groups.
 

polm

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
3,183
0
0
Originally posted by: spidey07
So Wright gets a pass for such hatred and bigotry? And obama gets a pass as well?

What does it take for me to get this magic pass? Do I have to be black to get the special pass?


-edit-
I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. It's like they're trying to be so politically correct that there can't possibly be anything wrong with a black racist bigot.
Spidey, you know I respect you man. You got mad networking skills.

I think you are correct about Wright himself not deserving a pass. Truth is...it doesn't change my opinion one bit about Obama. I don't think for a minute that Obama truly believes this stuff that Wright is saying.

All politicians pander and blow rhetoric in all directions. They all lie. They all cheat. But if I dismissed every candidate on those terms alone...I'd never vote.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's interesting how his comments are only reflected on white/black relations. As neither white nor black, I find some of his comments extremely offensive. He speaks as if whites are responsible for everything and control everything. That completely demeans so many other groups.
Oh please, in the US, most of the most powerful positions in this country are held by white people, it's not some secret. I'm of neither white or black but I'm not blind enough to believe that there isn't a huge advantage to being white.
 

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
12,414
0
0
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's interesting how his comments are only reflected on white/black relations. As neither white nor black, I find some of his comments extremely offensive. He speaks as if whites are responsible for everything and control everything. That completely demeans so many other groups.
Oh please, in the US, most of the most powerful positions in this country are held by white people, it's not some secret. I'm of neither white or black but I'm not blind enough to believe that there isn't a huge advantage to being white.
Sure, many powerful positions are held by white people. But to claim that we are "living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people" means that all others are powerless and useless. I find that extremely offensive.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's interesting how his comments are only reflected on white/black relations. As neither white nor black, I find some of his comments extremely offensive. He speaks as if whites are responsible for everything and control everything. That completely demeans so many other groups.
Oh please, in the US, most of the most powerful positions in this country are held by white people, it's not some secret. I'm of neither white or black but I'm not blind enough to believe that there isn't a huge advantage to being white.
Sure, many powerful positions are held by white people. But to claim that we are "living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people" means that all others are powerless and useless. I find that extremely offensive.
A "country controlled by rich white people" does not mean others are powerless and useless, it just means that the majority of control in this country is probably held by rich white people. I guess the two of us just have a different take on what he said.
 
Feb 10, 2000
30,033
64
91
Originally posted by: shrumpage

But saying that the government is out to get blacks - I'd say that is racist.

?The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.?
Calling the "US of KKK" is bringing racism to an issue.

As i pointed out earlier, you take the church mission statement, and replace the word "black" with the word "white" would it be considered racists?
In what way is it racist to say the government is racist? "Bringing racism to an issue" is also not racist. I find your arguments entirely unpersuasive, and I am no Wright supporter.
 

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
1,304
0
0
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: shrumpage

But saying that the government is out to get blacks - I'd say that is racist.

?The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.?
Calling the "US of KKK" is bringing racism to an issue.

As i pointed out earlier, you take the church mission statement, and replace the word "black" with the word "white" would it be considered racists?
In what way is it racist to say the government is racist? "Bringing racism to an issue" is also not racist. I find your arguments entirely unpersuasive, and I am no Wright supporter.
claiming the government developed aids to keep blacks down is steeped in racists thought.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: shrumpage

But saying that the government is out to get blacks - I'd say that is racist.

?The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.?
Calling the "US of KKK" is bringing racism to an issue.

As i pointed out earlier, you take the church mission statement, and replace the word "black" with the word "white" would it be considered racists?
In what way is it racist to say the government is racist? "Bringing racism to an issue" is also not racist. I find your arguments entirely unpersuasive, and I am no Wright supporter.
claiming the government developed aids to keep blacks down is steeped in racists thought.
Wait, I'm confused. Isn't that someone claiming that someone else's racism is keeping them down?
 

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
34,887
4,842
126
Maybe if Obama actually stood for something himself, instead of giving us his never ending platitudes, we wouldn't need to judge him by his associates.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Is it racist from me to say every black man on the street is going to mug me?
I don't see how you don't see the distinction between the two statements.
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: senseamp
Maybe if Obama actually stood for something himself, instead of giving us his never ending platitudes, we wouldn't need to judge him by his associates.
It's nice to be able to boast such a ridiculous statement with so little factual support eh? The beauty of the internet.
 

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
1,304
0
0
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Is it racist from me to say every black man on the street is going to mug me?
I don't see how you don't see the distinction between the two statements.
Its a simple question, can you answer it?

Saying a group is 'out to get you' solely based on the color of their skin, verse the color of your skin, is a racist statement.

 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Is it racist from me to say every black man on the street is going to mug me?
I don't see how you don't see the distinction between the two statements.
Its a simple question, can you answer it?

Saying a group is 'out to get you' solely based on the color of their skin, verse the color of your skin, is a racist statement.
Didn't Wright say the government is out to get black people? Even if you broadened to the government that's controlled by the rich white people, how is that the same as all black people are out to get you?
 

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
65,481
5
76
Black people are the cause of all our problems. See how offensive that sounds?

Same as what Wright has been saying for 20 years.
 

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
1,304
0
0
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Is it racist from me to say every black man on the street is going to mug me?
I don't see how you don't see the distinction between the two statements.
Its a simple question, can you answer it?

Saying a group is 'out to get you' solely based on the color of their skin, verse the color of your skin, is a racist statement.
Didn't Wright say the government is out to get black people? Even if you broadened to the government that's controlled by the rich white people, how is that the same as all black people are out to get you?
If you noticed i said black man on the street, no where did i say all.

 
Feb 10, 2000
30,033
64
91
Originally posted by: spidey07
Black people are the cause of all our problems. See how offensive that sounds?

Same as what Wright has been saying for 20 years.
He's not saying any ethnic group is the cause of the problems, he's saying that the government is. Were you equally disgusted when Reagan said "government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem"?
 

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
1,942
0
0
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: glutenberg
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Is it racist from me to say every black man on the street is going to mug me?
I don't see how you don't see the distinction between the two statements.
Its a simple question, can you answer it?

Saying a group is 'out to get you' solely based on the color of their skin, verse the color of your skin, is a racist statement.
Didn't Wright say the government is out to get black people? Even if you broadened to the government that's controlled by the rich white people, how is that the same as all black people are out to get you?
If you noticed i said black man on the street, no where did i say all.
Oh come on now, you said "every black man on the street." Every implies all. I guess we can ignore the black men who never use the streets.
 

Jhhnn

No Lifer
Nov 11, 1999
61,852
14,003
136
Heh. So-called "Conservatives" seem to think they can wave the magic wand of denial, erase hundreds of years of racism and the results of it...

Blacks didn't segregate themselves from White America, create the "black community" on a voluntary basis, at all- it was forced on them, along with all it entails. Just because change is taking place doesn't mean that the whole thing is over, done, finished, all better now. The effects and attitudes will linger for generations to come.

So if a man like the Rev Wright has an occasional fit of frustration, tries to point out that things aren't as hunky-dory as rightwing pollyannas might claim, he's earned the right, whether that's well received or not. Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes people can't handle the truth, particularly when it's the simple fact that White racism still has potency, and continues to adversely effect anybody deemed "black". The current wave of sentiment against affirmative action is a symptom of a strong desire to just forget about the whole idea of racial justice, sweep it under the rug, leave the grand goals of equality and integration in the dustbin of history.

And attempts to paint Wright as racist on the basis of a few angry remarks are blatantly and self-servingly racist themselves, while attempting to transfer the puffed up mock outrage onto somebody who never uttered them even worse. The smug self-righteousness involved in the attempt to do so is symptomatic of a mind diseased by simplistic sloganeering and pandering to the worst of our irrational natures.
 

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
11,834
1
0
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Heh. So-called "Conservatives" seem to think they can wave the magic wand of denial, erase hundreds of years of racism and the results of it...

Blacks didn't segregate themselves from White America, create the "black community" on a voluntary basis, at all- it was forced on them, along with all it entails. Just because change is taking place doesn't mean that the whole thing is over, done, finished, all better now. The effects and attitudes will linger for generations to come.

So if a man like the Rev Wright has an occasional fit of frustration, tries to point out that things aren't as hunky-dory as rightwing pollyannas might claim, he's earned the right, whether that's well received or not. Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes people can't handle the truth, particularly when it's the simple fact that White racism still has potency, and continues to adversely effect anybody deemed "black". The current wave of sentiment against affirmative action is a symptom of a strong desire to just forget about the whole idea of racial justice, sweep it under the rug, leave the grand goals of equality and integration in the dustbin of history.

And attempts to paint Wright as racist on the basis of a few angry remarks are blatantly and self-servingly racist themselves, while attempting to transfer the puffed up mock outrage onto somebody who never uttered them even worse. The smug self-righteousness involved in the attempt to do so is symptomatic of a mind diseased by simplistic sloganeering and pandering to the worst of our irrational natures.
I really don't give a hoot what Wright or anyone else wants to preach in their church because I don't have to attend that church or agree with what they preach. It's a free country, they're free to preach what they like and I'm free to disagree with it if I so choose.

I do have a problem when someone who attends a church like Wrights for the last 20 years wants my vote. Obama was the one who choose to call Wright the man who "calibrates his moral compass". To me being a long term member of such a divisive church aptly demonstrates Obama's lack of judgement.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY