Hillary?s ?Southern Strategy? and the method behind Bill?s madness

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
ON DEADLINE: Clinton makes race an issue
Key part
But it was Clinton himself who dished on the topic when he told an audience in Charleston that he was proud of the Democratic Party for having a woman and a black candidate. In response to a question from a crowd member who asked about "race-baiting" by the media, Clinton said he understands why Obama is drawing support among blacks, who are expected to comprise at least half the primary turnout.

"As far as I can tell, neither Senator Obama nor Hillary have lost votes because of their race or gender. They are getting votes, to be sure, because of their race or gender ? that's why people tell me Hillary doesn't have a chance of winning here," the former president said. "But that's understandable because people are proud when someone who they identify with emerges for the first time."

One of the best political strategists of his generation, Clinton may be hoping to lower expectations for Saturday's primary. He may have his sights on Feb. 5, when voters in 22 states take part in a national primary. It would likely work to Hillary Clinton's advantage to have the electorate polarized by race, given that most Feb. 5 voters will be white and Hispanic; she won the Hispanic vote overwhelmingly in last week's Nevada caucus.
He might as well come out and say vote for Obama if you are black and Hillary if you are white.

The big question comes in the fall when we see how blacks respond to Hillary after all this.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
^^ You are missing the point.

It is NOT about playing the race card to get black voters; it is about playing the race card to get white voters.

When Obama wins the vote of 86% of blacks it gives the impression that he is the ?black; candidate instead of a candidate for everyone.

The idea of pulling out of South Carolina is to let Obama win the state with its large black vote and then use his victory to send the message that he only won because blacks voted for him. Then all the little white Democrats see this and go ?I don?t want to vote for a guy who will represent blacks, I want someone to represent ME? and they will then vote for Hillary.

You are the one saying that's why she wants to pull out, but you have no proof.
As usual, the Clinton bashers are peddling innuendo as facts.
Maybe she wants to pull out because she doesn't think she can win and her time is better spent in states where she can win. The real people making it about race are the black people in South Carolina who are voting for Obama because he is black. Hillary still has Bill out there trying to reach out to them and try to win them over inspite of this reverse racism, but you can't blame her for not wanting to compete on this tilted playing field and instead going to states where she has a good chance to win.
Again, you hate her, and you are assigning to her motivations that you have no way of proving she has, simply based on your hate, just like Dick Morris. Dick Morris fvcked up, got caught with a hooker, and got fired. He has noone to blame but himself, but he's been blaming the Clintons for that ever since. If you want to be a hating loser like him, by all means proceed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
ON DEADLINE: Clinton makes race an issue
Key part
But it was Clinton himself who dished on the topic when he told an audience in Charleston that he was proud of the Democratic Party for having a woman and a black candidate. In response to a question from a crowd member who asked about "race-baiting" by the media, Clinton said he understands why Obama is drawing support among blacks, who are expected to comprise at least half the primary turnout.

"As far as I can tell, neither Senator Obama nor Hillary have lost votes because of their race or gender. They are getting votes, to be sure, because of their race or gender ? that's why people tell me Hillary doesn't have a chance of winning here," the former president said. "But that's understandable because people are proud when someone who they identify with emerges for the first time."

One of the best political strategists of his generation, Clinton may be hoping to lower expectations for Saturday's primary. He may have his sights on Feb. 5, when voters in 22 states take part in a national primary. It would likely work to Hillary Clinton's advantage to have the electorate polarized by race, given that most Feb. 5 voters will be white and Hispanic; she won the Hispanic vote overwhelmingly in last week's Nevada caucus.
He might as well come out and say vote for Obama if you are black and Hillary if you are white.

The big question comes in the fall when we see how blacks respond to Hillary after all this.

Obama is the one who spent months proving to blacks that he's black enough. He succeeded. Now he is worried about being perceived as a black candidate? The whole thing is laughable to me. He alienated some white voters with this, but now he wants to blame that on the Clintons. Good luck. The more he whines, the more he keeps this issue alive and the more it hurts him.
But what is more laughable is how much of a whiner Obama is, it really puts into question whether he is tough enough emotionally to be president.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
the Clintons don't do anything on accident, it is all planned out
and they'll use southern racists to get elected, that is for sure

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What did Obama mean when he called Hillary the "Senator from Punjab?"
That is not racist? Or because he is black, it's OK? Or maybe because he is not a Clinton, it's OK?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
This is a bit offtopic, but the NY Post is only barely above tabloid level. What a rag.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
First and foremost....PJ's sources for the "strategy" really are partisan hacks (including Morris who is to Fox what coke is to a Wall St. trader....addictive b/c they both know they should like it/him so much but it makes them feel so good (one for the high the other cause he is "representing" Clinton Dems but saying what they want to hear)).

That said, it's a pretty interesting and very conceivable theory. I would almost say that it is more than likely true.

If you think about it rationally and logically, one of the easiest ways to put people's uneasiness to rest is to make self-deprecating jokes. It gives them the impression that you are "normal" and can accept your own flaws and by proxy theirs even if you aren't or don't. If Bill/Hillary can make this a black-white contest and it drives the blacks out in droves in SC....it also serves the exact same purpose in the Super Tuesday states which are tilted more to the white population.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
If you think about it rationally and logically, one of the easiest ways to put people's uneasiness to rest is to make self-deprecating jokes. It gives them the impression that you are "normal" and can accept your own flaws and by proxy theirs even if you aren't or don't. If Bill/Hillary can make this a black-white contest and it drives the blacks out in droves in SC....it also serves the exact same purpose in the Super Tuesday states which are tilted more to the white population.

It's not just a plausible theory, it's exactly the Team Clinton playbook.

Divide by race as much as possible, and try to scare all the white folks in more "white" states that a black man is coming. It's transparent as can be.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Pabster

It's not just a plausible theory, it's exactly the Team Clinton playbook.

Divide by race as much as possible, and try to scare all the white folks in more "white" states that a black man is coming. It's transparent as can be.

Making a lot of claims with no proof. What else is new?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
That is not racist? Or because he is black, it's OK? Or maybe because he is not a Clinton, it's OK?

Bill Clinton SAID Obama said that.

Maybe you can find a link from a reputable source quoting Obama as saying that?

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

If I do, are you going to admit that it's Obama who is playing the race card?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Fern

How about I save you the time:

Source

The reference in the headline is an allusion to an article found in the Nexis news database from the the March 17, 2006 issue of India Abroad. Writer Aziz Haniffa was reporting from a fundraiser in which "over 80 prominent Sikh professionals and entrepreneurs from the Washington metropolitan area paid $500 to $2,000 apiece" to boost Clinton's political warchest:

At the fundraiser hosted by Dr Rajwant Singh at his Potomac, Maryland, home, and which raised nearly $50,000 for her re-election campaign, Clinton began by joking that, 'I can certainly run for the Senate seat in Punjab and win easily,' after being introduced by Singh as the Senator not only from New York but also Punjab.

Doh!?!

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Yikes, politics is a crazy, crazy business. I can't even fathom 1/100th of the stuff that must go on behind the scenes.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Fern

How about I save you the time:

Source

The reference in the headline is an allusion to an article found in the Nexis news database from the the March 17, 2006 issue of India Abroad. Writer Aziz Haniffa was reporting from a fundraiser in which "over 80 prominent Sikh professionals and entrepreneurs from the Washington metropolitan area paid $500 to $2,000 apiece" to boost Clinton's political warchest:

At the fundraiser hosted by Dr Rajwant Singh at his Potomac, Maryland, home, and which raised nearly $50,000 for her re-election campaign, Clinton began by joking that, 'I can certainly run for the Senate seat in Punjab and win easily,' after being introduced by Singh as the Senator not only from New York but also Punjab.

Doh!?!
OK, I'm pretty darn sure senseamp just got owned...