Hillary deserves a thread for her concession

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
And so David slayed Goaliath.

RIP Hillary Clinton 2008 Campaign.

Lest we forget.
rose.gif

Ode to Hillary's Campaign. I believe we must pay our full respects: Farewell Hillary

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080607/19/176nf.html

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Hillary Clinton on Saturday threw her full support behind Barack Obama, as she unequivocally endorsed the Democratic White House nominee and vowed to do all she could to make her former foe president.

Clinton's quest to be the first woman commander in chief ended with her imploring her backers to vote for Obama, saying he was a man of "grace and grit" who was, like her, tilting at history after living the American dream.ADVERTISEMENT

"The way to continue our fight now, to accomplish the goals for which we stand is to take our energy, our passions, our strengths and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama the next president of the United States," Clinton said, basking in the devotion of around 2,000 supporters at a raucous rally.

"Today, as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him on the victory he has won and the extraordinary race he has run," said Clinton, who angered some Democrats with her defiant tone after Obama clinched the nomination last week.

Obama, vying to become the first African-American president in US history, welcomed her endorsement and paid tribute to her "valiant and historic" campaign.

"No one knows better than Senator Clinton how desperately America and the American people need change, and I know she will continue to be in the forefront of that battle this fall and for years to come," Obama said in a statement.

Although he did not address whether he would pick Clinton for his vice-presidential running mate, Obama said he was "thrilled and honored to have Senator Clinton's support."

On Saturday the most prominent statement on Clinton's website read: "Support Senator Obama today. Sign up now and together we can write the next chapter in America's history."

Obama now faces a tough fight against Republican presumptive nominee John McCain after the turbulent Democratic contest which has torn at party unity.

Clinton gave a ringing endorsement of Obama in a gracious speech in Washington's ornate National Building Museum, which positioned her as a historic figure who shattered gender barriers.

"If we can blast 50 women into space, we will somehow launch a woman into the White House," Clinton said, as some women in the audience wiped away tears, and others cheered wildly.

"And although we weren't able to shatter that highest, hardest, glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it has got about 18 million cracks in it."

Clinton borrowed Obama's "yes we can!" mantra, and repeatedly told her army of faithful, 18 million supporters that they must put her former rival in the White House.

"I have seen his strength and determination and his grace and his grit. In his own life, Barack Obama has lived the American dream," she said, after her endorsement was met with cheers, and some loud but scattered boos.

She went out of her way to persuade her supporters to back Obama, as McCain makes a play for her army of white working-class supporters and women.

"The Democratic Party is a family, and now it is time to restore the ties that bind us together and to come together around the ideals we share, the values we cherish and the country we love," she said.

In a speech which marked the end of an era , with her family shuffling off center stage for the first time in 16 years, Clinton had former president Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea at her side in the museum's ancient Rome-style Great Hall.

Terry O'Neill, a Clinton supporter from Bethesda, in suburban Maryland, said it was now up to Obama to win over the former first lady's millions of supporters.

"She earned my support by her leadership on issues important to me," she said.

"I know he is open-minded, he is pro-choice (backs abortion rights) he is a Democrat. Now it is up to him to earn my support."

Clinton's constituency of working-class whites, women and Hispanics could play a key role in sending Obama to the White House, expanding his powerbase of African-Americans, young voters and more affluent Democrats.

After an often bitter campaign, the New York senator began to build bridges with Obama in a secret meeting with him on Thursday night, which fanned more speculation about her vice presidential prospects.

Clinton's speech was the final act in a near 17-month odyssey which has encompassed two winters, the snows of Iowa and the dry heat of Nevada, gritty towns of Pennsylvania and swank Hollywood fundraisers.

The former first lady, 60 led national polls by huge margins last year, but her campaign was stunned by her loss in the leadoff Iowa caucuses on January 3.

She pulled off a dramatic comeback in New Hampshire days later, but her front-runner strategy -- she ran virtually as an incumbent -- was buckled by Obama's soaring message of hope and change, and superb campaign organization.

After she failed to knock Obama, 46, out in the Super Tuesday nationwide primary contests in February, Clinton was always behind, despite clinging on with big victories in states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
DISCLAIMER: This post is in good spirits. I commend Hillary for her gracious bowing out of the campaign. She could've pushed for the veep spot, but has been very gracious in how she's approached it all.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
I do not agree with her, what she stands for or how she has acted. I do not think she has helped out the woman movement at all. The only thing I can give credit for would be taking that ugly child of theirs to a plastic surgen.

i hope that the entire Clinton family reads between the lines, it's over, your not welcome in DC.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Grunt03
I do not agree with her, what she stands for or how she has acted. I do not think she has helped out the woman movement at all. The only thing I can give credit for would be taking that ugly child of theirs to a plastic surgen.

i hope that the entire Clinton family reads between the lines, it's over, your not welcome in DC.

stay classy

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
A Hillary concession has been a long time coming, maybe over delayed, but Hillary Clinton, if nothing else, has helped make Obama into a better candidate. And also, Hillary did
give a very good concession speech. I do not think the democrats will come divided into a general election much to the dismay of the GOP.

As for the OP on this thread, he is 100% correct, Hillary does deserve this thread and the OP has done it in a classy manner. We are all witness to one of the closest primary races
in American political history, we may not appreciate it now, but I think it will be a new beginning for many grassroots efforts. And its very possible that more than one future President will trace the birth of their political awareness to this campaign regardless of which side they were on. Americana at its finest.

SieLiebenDich

Jun 6, 2008
Rutherford Hayes' win was pretty historic.

I think everyone knew Obama was going to win this (or at least I did) for a long time now. I'm more worried about the people who are either voting for him or against him only because he's black.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

I hope the Bush family gets the same message, and btw, even a plastic surgen can't fix your kind of ugly.

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I'm just glad the nutters over at HCF think her speech is part of Hillary's master plan to continue onto the nomination & presidency. Keep that crazy train rolling on!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I must admit, she gave a nice exit speech. I didn't get teary-eyed or anything, but it was pretty decent. Long overdue, but that's irrelevant.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

She's a senator you dimwit, I think she spends a bit of time in DC.

And as a previous poster said, "stay classy" - you're (notice the spelling) doing a fine job of it already.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
And most of the Hillary haters will keep on hating no matter what she does. So it goes at Anandtech P&N.

Hillary's speech garnered strong universal praise from both the media and politicians alike yesterday. It's telling about this place that it's not until a day later she gets this half-hearted thread here giving her some credit.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
It would have been classy in April (considering she lost in late feb.)...

I really hope the Hillary deadenders come around before November...

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: M0RPH
And most of the Hillary haters will keep on hating no matter what she does. So it goes at Anandtech P&N.

Hillary's speech garnered strong universal praise from both the media and politicians alike yesterday. It's telling about this place that it's not until a day later she gets this half-hearted thread here giving her some credit.

Calling someone a "hater" doesn´t say anything about whether that sentiment is justified. Somehow, this generation seems to think that if you say anything negative about something or someone, you are a "hater" and there is an assumption that it stems from your own lack of success or jealousy.

I do not like Hillary Clinton. I never have. And most of the reason for that is her utter lack of honesty and integrity. If that makes me a "hater", so be it.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
I do not like Hillary Clinton. I never have. And most of the reason for that is her utter lack of honesty and integrity. If that makes me a "hater", so be it.

QFT. :thumbsup:

mflacy

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: M0RPH
It's telling about this place that it's not until a day later she gets this half-hearted thread here giving her some credit.

Said the guy that had the ability to post a whole-hearted thread on Hillary's speech yesterday.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel

QFT. :thumbsup:

+1

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mflacy
I'm just glad the nutters over at HCF think her speech is part of Hillary's master plan to continue onto the nomination & presidency. Keep that crazy train rolling on!

Yeah, a lot of that was pretty frightening. A few people were even analyzing her words thinking she used "code" to talk to them.