Hillary Clinton Says She'll Block Bush's EPA Nominee Over 9/11 Air-Quality Fiasco

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
What do you guys think? Should the White House take responsibility for misleading New Yorkers via EPA reports concerning the Manhattan air-quality after the towers collapsed? This is not an isolated incident. The administration ruled out terrorist-attacks in the East Coast blackout within 45-minutes, despite the CIA not being convinced. (MSNBC.com - What Went Wrong)

Next time there's an emergency, can we even trust the gov't giving us the all-clear?

FoxNews.com Article

Hillary Clinton Says She'll Block Bush's EPA Nominee

NEW YORK ? Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (search) said Saturday she planned to block President Bush's nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency (search) over an internal report saying the EPA misled New Yorkers about health risks after the World Trade Center attack.

In a telephone interview, Clinton told The Associated Press she would place a hold on the nomination of Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt (search), a procedural move that would prevent the full Senate from voting on his confirmation, though it does not stop committee hearings.

"This is an effort to get the administration that he wants to join to take responsibility," she said.

Clinton said she would lift the hold only if the White House answered her concerns about the EPA report. She said she held no personal grudge against Leavitt but hopes the hold to force the administration to answer questions.

"This is a very big issue," she said. "It not only has to do with the health and safety of the people I represent. It has to do with the credibility and trust of this entire government."

A White House spokesman said the administration was disappointed by the senator's comments.

"It's unfortunate that Sen. Clinton would seek to politicize such a qualified nominee as Gov. Leavitt," spokesman Taylor Gross said Saturday. "He is a known consensus builder and has brought people together to work on solutions for environmental improvement."

The report, issued by the EPA's inspector general Aug. 22, said the agency gave New Yorkers misleading assurances that there was no air-quality health risk after the Sept. 11, 2001, attack that spread debris, smoke and dust across lower Manhattan.

The White House "convinced EPA to add reassuring statements and delete cautionary ones" by having the National Security Council (search) control EPA communications after the attack, said the report by EPA Inspector General Nikki L. Tinsley.

Seven days after the attack, the EPA announced that the air near ground zero was safe to breathe, but the agency did not have enough information to make such a guarantee, the report found.

"When they would say, 'Oh, no, the air is safe,' there was a great sigh of relief," Clinton said. "But we know that many of the ground zero workers and volunteers are suffering from the World Trade Center cough, from asthma, from pulmonary respiratory distress."

The administration has defended its decision, saying it was justified by national security concerns.

And the EPA's acting administrator, Marianne L. Horinko, has said the agency put out "the best information we had, based on just the best data that we had available at the time."

Bush nominated Leavitt, a Republican known as a moderate on environmental issues, to take over the EPA after administrator Christie Whitman announced she would leave the post.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
so she thinks it is better to leave the epa swinging in the wind leaderless just so she can take advantage of an opportunity to try and embarrass the Bush administration. Partisonship at its finest if you ask me.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NesuD
so she thinks it is better to leave the epa swinging in the wind leaderless just so she can take advantage of an opportunity to try and embarrass the Bush administration. Partisonship at its finest if you ask me.

Are you blind? Senator Clinton wants some answers as to why the Bush administration saw fit to lie to the people of New York about air quality in the days after 9/11. The Bush administration is refusing to even discuss their motives. Senator Clinton is forcing them to discuss their lies.

The Bush administration embarassed themselves by putting the people of New York in jeopardy by lying about a serious health threat. How the hell is this partisanship? This is taking the Bush administration to task for lying unnecessarily about a problem which measures could have easily been taken to minimize if only they had told the truth.

Don't be ridiculous.

Ly2n

Dec 26, 2001

It seems to me that the EPA was leaderless after 9/11 if the White House could re-write its releases. The EPA needs to tell the truth when it is dealing with public health. It would be helpful to those that are treating the people that are suffering if they could know what the EPA knew then. A real leader would have stood behind their people and put out the truth. Hillary Clinton is just standing up for the people that she represents. If it was anyone else, everyone would be cheering because they were doing their job.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Are you blind? Senator Clinton wants some answers as to why the Bush administration saw fit to lie to the people of New York about air quality in the days after 9/11. The Bush administration is refusing to even discuss their motives. Senator Clinton is forcing them to discuss their lies.

The Bush administration embarassed themselves by putting the people of New York in jeopardy by lying about a serious health threat. How the hell is this partisanship? This is taking the Bush administration to task for lying unnecessarily about a problem which measures could have easily been taken to minimize if only they had told the truth.

Don't be ridiculous.

oh yeah senator clinton has only the health of new yorkers in mind
rolleye.gif

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
What else might she be thinking about? Do you think she thinks about putting you in a dank, musty dungeon? Or perhaps to lure you into a swamp in the dark of night to let you sink into its depths? Horrid, horrid, evil thoughts oh Hillary! Don't witches do that? Where is Hillary's broom and black hat? I'll give you a hint: they're in a corner of your mind.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
What else might she be thinking about? Do you think she thinks about putting you in a dank, musty dungeon? Or perhaps to lure you into a swamp in the dark of night to let you sink into its depths? Horrid, horrid, evil thoughts oh Hillary! Don't witches do that? Where is Hillary's broom and black hat? I'll give you a hint: they're in a corner of your mind.

ummm... ok stop trolling

EDIT: i'll give you a hint... shes a politician... nothing a politician does is motivated by the goodness of their hearts...

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Do you always refer to ideas you prefer not to hear as "trolling"?
nothing a politician does is motivated by the goodness of their hearts...
Trying a Beamer Thing(tm) here, let's see how it works. I'm not very good at it so bear with me...

Everything a politician does is motivated by the evil in their heart.

This doesn't fit my profile of her. Hillary is human, just like me and you. She gets bonus points for being a mother, too. But predominently evil? Exclusively evil? No, of course not. If that were true she would have no daughter (that she cares about, and she does care for hers).

If it's any consolation, I too, had the same unhealthy block of her at one time. "She can do no good!." "Every move was political, designed to further her career." etc. etc. all kinds of things put in my mind to render her irrelevant. I looked at who put those thoughts there and why and decided to come to my own conclusions.

All that said, I'm still critical of many of her policies and I don't agree with a lot of her positions. But I no longer believe she's evil and you know what? It feels pretty good. Your mileage may vary but you're welcome to drive ahead of me if you want to arrive first.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Bush and Co really don't are if the EPA has a director or not, some of their best "Environmental" acts have occured with no EPA leadership. In effect, whether Hillary succeeds in this or not deosn't matter, the EPA is merely a plaything to use to attack the environment as far as the current administration is concerned.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Trying a Beamer Thing(tm) here, let's see how it works. I'm not very good at it so bear with me...

This doesn't fit my profile of her. Hillary is human, just like me and you. She gets bonus points for being a mother, too. But predominently evil? Exclusively evil? No, of course not. If that were true she would have no daughter (that she cares about, and she does care for hers).

If it's any consolation, I too, had the same unhealthy block of her at one time. "She can do no good!." "Every move was political, designed to further her career." etc. etc. all kinds of things put in my mind to render her irrelevant. I looked at who put those thoughts there and why and decided to come to my own conclusions.

All that said, I'm still critical of many of her policies and I don't agree with a lot of her positions. But I no longer believe she's evil and you know what? It feels pretty good. Your mileage may vary but you're welcome to drive ahead of me if you want to arrive first.

no, you're trolling for making wild assumptions that i think shes evil
rolleye.gif

shes a politician, no better nor no worse than all the rest of them.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Evil is too strong a word. It's a fun one to use, though. I just wanted to question your reasoning for blanketing and categorizing her as someone who can do no right, only wrong. I don't believe that's the case.

We can't do away with politicians since the positions are permanent. They'll be here even if we no longer require them (that's their worst fear I would suspect). In any case, we need to make sure we honestly appraise them. I suppose the alternative is to utterly give up on progress and I'm not ready for that lost cause just yet.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
This is Hilary Clinton we are talking about. Anyone who takes anything she says seriously is messed up.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Bush and Co really don't are if the EPA has a director or not, some of their best "Environmental" acts have occured with no EPA leadership. In effect, whether Hillary succeeds in this or not deosn't matter, the EPA is merely a plaything to use to attack the environment as far as the current administration is concerned.
By many accounts, Whitman was a thorn in the side of the administration's environmental policies, although performing her job in a highly professional manner. Essentially the same reason why the Bush economic team was fired last year: they would not go to bat for Bush/Cheney's tax cuts and were willing to publicly speak about the costs of war in Iraq.

Originally posted by: XZeroII
This is Hilary Clinton we are talking about. Anyone who takes anything she says seriously is messed up.
On a similar note, anybody who takes what you say seriously is braindead.

I speak not out of malice or partisanship, but in reference to a history of your tech & political posts.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It sounds like many of you are content to allow the EPA and/or the White House to lie and get away with it. What happened to accountability? The EPA, with the White House pulling the strings, had no right to declare the air safe to breathe. Neither did they have all the facts in the east coast blackout before declaring that it was not a terrorist attack. Regardless of what you think of Hillary (and it's quite clear there's a lot of hatred for her in these forums), at least someone is holding the administration responsible for their actions. Apparantly, Hillary's got more balls than anyone else in Congress right now.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
It sounds like many of you are content to allow the EPA and/or the White House to lie and get away with it. What happened to accountability? The EPA, with the White House pulling the strings, had no right to declare the air safe to breathe. Neither did they have all the facts in the east coast blackout before declaring that it was not a terrorist attack. Regardless of what you think of Hillary (and it's quite clear there's a lot of hatred for her in these forums), at least someone is holding the administration responsible for their actions. Apparantly, Hillary's got more balls than anyone else in Congress right now.

God its funny how "Accountability" has "lying" has become such an important set of words to the anti-Bush folk.. when it was completely ruled out just several years ago..

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
lying? have you ever heard hannity/limbaugh/oreily/coulter etc? its their bread and butter, it always been. when moral puritains don't hold themselves to their own standards, a tad more damning.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
lying? have you ever heard hannity/limbaugh/oreily/coulter etc? its their bread and butter, it always been. when moral puritains don't hold themselves to their own standards, a tad more damning.

The liberal definition of "lying" is someone saying something you don't personally agree with..

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo lying? have you ever heard hannity/limbaugh/oreily/coulter etc? its their bread and butter, it always been. when moral puritains don't hold themselves to their own standards, a tad more damning.
The liberal definition of "lying" is someone saying something you don't personally agree with..

Far too true.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Torghn
Originally posted by: Crimson
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo lying? have you ever heard hannity/limbaugh/oreily/coulter etc? its their bread and butter, it always been. when moral puritains don't hold themselves to their own standards, a tad more damning.

Far too true.

in your dreams. faulty logic and blatent inaccuracies are the bread and butter of the right. youdon't even have to disagree with the poor bastards to discover their lies. simple fact checking does that.

the fact is that the "conservative" media doesn't even bother putting in retractions for inaccuracies that are pointed out. they'd rather repeat the lies.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Don't be ridiculous.

so to get answers we refuse to do our jobs? her job is to determine this mans fitness for the post he is nominated for. her decision to hold up his nomination has nothing whatsoever to do with his fitness for the job as a matter of fact her own statement shows this has nothing to do with the nominee.
This is taking the Bush administration to task for lying unnecessarily about a problem which measures could have easily been taken to minimize if only they had told the truth.
explain how this has anything to do with the nominee? It is simple partison politics using this opportunity at this nominees and the publics expense. She is failing in her sworn responsibilities as a US senator for holding up this nomination for those reasons.
Don't be ridiculous
I would say the same to you but i don't really think it is necessary for me to point out the obvious.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Jelly you make an excellent and valiant attempt to put reason ahead of the political brainwashing that permeates this thread. The thing that jumped out at me though is what ELFenix tells us about himself. We see what we are and unfortunately that means that from ELFenix in a political setting we can expect him to act exactly as he describes Hillary. A thief's greatest fear is being robbed. A liar thinks what he's told is a lie. The murderer fears assassination, and on and on. The cynically cold expect cunning and self interest. People who hate themselves cannot credit that anybody does anything from the goodness of their heart because such a feat is impossible for them. Nor do they see the enormous damage they do the fabric of civilization with their sliming. Day by day hour by hour the meager good that's left in the world is being eaten away.

Look at the quality of some of the thinking here, the utter rote and ritualistic swill:

"so she thinks it is better to leave the epa swinging in the wind leaderless just so she can take advantage of an opportunity to try and embarrass the Bush administration. Partisonship at its finest if you ask me."
-----------------------------
The autonomic partisanship charge. A democrat acts only against Republicans never for the good. At least it's expressed as an opinion not as absolute truth.
-----------------------------
"This is Hilary Clinton we are talking about. Anyone who takes anything she says seriously is messed up."
------------------------------
Everybody has swallowed the billions of dollars of purchased hate speech directed a Hillary. Everybody bought the lie, no? Anybody who hasn't been successfully brainwashed by the propaganda has got to be crazy. If you aren't a ditto head chump like me, a easy hypnotists mark, you are abnormal. Somebody pushed my Hillary button and I automatically spew. I am a trained parrot and proud.
----------------------------
"God its funny how "Accountability" and "lying" have become such an important set of words to the anti-Bush folk.. when it was completely ruled out just several years ago.."
------------------------------------
The wind-up 'pot kettle' spew. I will look at your faults but never my own. I can always find something wrong with anything to keep from looking in. What I don't see is true of me I see in you. I am the black kettle that says the pot calls the kettle black. I feel slimed so I'll slime you.
---------------------------------------
"Far too true."
---------------------------
Just wanted to get in my brain dead remark. I'm a ditto head. Yup I been suckered by the propaganda too. High fives among us idiots.
--------------------------

The issue here, I believe, is whether a nomination to the EPA is rightfully held up when data presents itself that the EPA said a major disaster did not also present a contamination risk. Did they know, did they lie, is national security and the urgency of the situation paramount and people's health be damned. What were the decisions and were they made correctly? Can we trust our government to lie when the chips are down? I would like to know regardless of Hillary. If she's the impetus that gets answers, great.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
On a similar note, anybody who takes what you say seriously is braindead.

I speak not out of malice or partisanship, but in reference to a history of your tech & political posts.

Political posts: Just because I have a differing viewpoint than you?
Tech posts: What tech posts are you talking about?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Nor do they see the enormous damage they do the fabric of civilization with their sliming. Day by day hour by hour the meager good that's left in the world is being eaten away.
Moonbeam, I think perhaps the reason some of us post here, even if we don't realize it, is that we want to understand our own madness in a world seemingly gone mad. If the subconscious can put up walls and twist our thoughts into a sick shield against the madness, the subconcious can also place images of a drill needed to penetrate the barriers and bring order out of chaos.

So someone might toss out a hateful statement made because of his conditioned sickness yet at the same time he's making statement to bring challenge to it, in hopes someone else may contradict the insanity, to facilitate better understanding. I suppose growth is painful because it the events that caused us to switch off were so painful.

If merely seeing Hillary Clinton's image on the TV causes one to turn the channel, I would suggest leaving the TV there, if for no better reason than to check your reasoning as to why your hand moved to that remote control so automatically.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So someone might toss out a hateful statement made because of his conditioned sickness yet at the same time he's making statement to bring challenge to it, in hopes someone else may contradict the insanity, to facilitate better understanding. I suppose growth is painful because it the events that caused us to switch off were so painful.
-----------------------
I think so Jelly, but they do it not to be corrected, but to be better at being sick, to sharpen their defense. That is why self understand ing is critical. One can't help but run from the truth, but one can come to realize that that is what one is doing. Until that happens, it's pretty hopeless, the only hope being that that changes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If merely seeing Hillary Clinton's image on the TV causes one to turn the channel, I would suggest leaving the TV there, if for no better reason than to check your reasoning as to why your hand moved to that remote control so automatically.
---------------------------
Well you may have something here, Jelly. I'll have to examine my assumption that I turn Bush off because I have new carpets. :D