Hillary Clinton says Putin’s actions are like ‘what Hitler did back in the ’30s’

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yikes. Don't know if I would have brought out the Hitler reference, but there it is. I don't think it's every really appropriate to start making Hitler references this early in the game... wonder what kind of blowback she will get.

Here's a portion from the article:
Former secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton on Tuesday compared Russian President Vladimir Putin's aggression in Ukraine to actions taken by Nazi leader Adolf Hitler outside Germany in the run-up to World War II.

Making her first extensive comments about the crisis in Ukraine, Clinton said at a private fundraiser in California that Putin's campaign to provide Russian passports to those with Russian connections living outside his country's borders is reminiscent of Hitler's protection of ethnic Germans outside Germany, according to a report published overnight.

"Now if this sounds familiar, it's what Hitler did back in the '30s," Clinton said Tuesday, according to the Long Beach Press-Telegram. "All the Germans that were ... the ethnic Germans, the Germans by ancestry who were in places like Czechoslovakia and Romania and other places, Hitler kept saying they're not being treated right. I must go and protect my people, and that's what's gotten everybody so nervous."

The Press-Telegram appears to have been the only publication present for Clinton's remarks at an otherwise closed-press luncheon fundraiser Tuesday attended by about 250 people to benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Long Beach.

Earlier Tuesday, BuzzFeed reported that Clinton spoke extensively about the situation in Ukraine, quoting Harry Saltzgaver, the executive editor of the Gazette newspapers group in Long Beach, who attended the Clinton event as a guest.

"She compared issuing Russian passports to Ukrainians with ties to Russia with early actions by Nazi Germany before Hitler began invading neighboring countries," Saltzgaver told BuzzFeed. "She said, however, that while that makes people nervous, there is no indication that Putin is as irrational as the instigator of World War II."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ion-are-like-what-hitler-did-back-in-the-30s/

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
She has a point. It is the same rationale used by Hitler to invade parts or entire countries in the 1930s. Russia used it in Georgia. They are using it in Crimea. The question is when will Russia have their Danzig moment?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I don't know if there should be blowback. The first thing I thought when Putin started talking about protecting Russians was that he's certainly not very original.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
She's probably saying things like that because she's still traumatized by that incident where she was being shot at by snipers when getting off the plane a few years ago ;)

I don't think she's really wrong in this case, though I don't think it's at all productive to compare Putin to Hitler, it's not going to help anything get resolved, and the reality is that we don't have a hammer in the arsenal at this point to make Putin bend to our will.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It seems like Putin is a true practitioner of the old adage "In adversity there is opportunity."

I wonder if our own country has ever used a similar ploy for political/strategic advantage?

edit - It seems to me that more times than not, politicians get their asses handed to them after speaking candidly in the comfortable surroundings of private fund raisers.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Yikes. Don't know if I would have brought out the Hitler reference, but there it is. I don't think it's every really appropriate to start making Hitler references this early in the game... wonder what kind of blowback she will get.

Well, since you brought it up.

After world war I the border of poland was redrawn, which put germans in poland. Those Germans were being persecuted by the locals. Those people considered themselves to be German, but who were not living in Germany.

wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_eastern_territories_of_Germany

Hitler invaded Poland to protect his people who had been abandoned by the international community.

Putin is doing the same thing. His is going to protect his people who have Russian heritage.

The difference between hitler and putin, hitler took all of poland instead of "just" the part that belonged to germany.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well, since you brought it up.

After world war I polish people with German heritage were being persecuted by the locals. Those people considered themselves to be German, but who were not living in Germany.

Hitler invaded Poland to protect his people who had been abandoned by the international community.

Putin is doing the same thing. His is going to protect his people who have Russian heritage.

I think it's a good thing provided that you don't break treaties, violate international law and the sovereignty of a nation to do it. ;)

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
She's probably saying things like that because she's still traumatized by that incident where she was being shot at by snipers when getting off the plane a few years ago ;)

That and falling and getting a concussion which resulted in her forgetting everything about Benghazi.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Not very diplomatic. Right now they're trying to find a diplomatic solution. Should that fail then feel free to bring out the Hitler references but right now that is highly unprofessional from someone who has been our secretary of state.

JManInPhoenix

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2013
A lot of politicians saying stupid shit about the Ukraine situation lately (both from the right and the left).

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
She has a point. It is the same rationale used by Hitler to invade parts or entire countries in the 1930s. Russia used it in Georgia. They are using it in Crimea. The question is when will Russia have their Danzig moment?

I agree; its a very good point. I brought up people should see why the first WW's started and see whats happening now could blow up fast if someone makes a mistake.

The biggest thing playing against Russia IMO is very wealthy Russians are losing a pile of money from this. They are not going to side idle for long.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's a good point insofar as you've got Russia slowly re-annexing territory back into its folds while the international community stands by condoning it.

but it's impossible to raise the Hitler or Nazi comparison without the specter of the holocaust, and I definitely wouldn't go that far with regard to Putin/contemporary Russia.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I think it's a good thing provided that you don't break treaties, international law and the sovereignty of a nation to do it. ;)

The border of poland and germany were redrawn after world war I, which meant germans were being forced into poland. People who had lived on the same land for generations, and considered themselves german, were told they were no longer germans and are now polish.

The local poles did not accept these new polish people, who were really germans.

The polish government was not protecting its new citizens.

Hitler took it into his own hands to retake land that rightfully belonged to Germany. The problem was hitlers troops did not stop with the land that belonged to germany before world war I, they took all of poland.

However, this is the part that is overlooked by our history books, Hitler asked the international community for help to defuse the tensions with poland. The international community refused to help.

Putin has an obligation to protect Russians, which is why he taking this action in the Ukraine. Putin does not want war.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yeah the international community refused to help after watching Germany take Austria and Czechslovakia and reoccupying the rhineland against their signed agreement. They warned him the next invasion would mean war. He walked right into it.

Nov 30, 2006
Comparing a major foreign leader's actions to Hitler....now that's statesmanship!

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The border of poland and germany were redrawn after world war I, which meant germans were being forced into poland. People who had lived on the same land for generations, and considered themselves german, were told they were no longer germans and are now polish.

The local poles did not accept these new polish people, who were really germans.

Hitler took it into his own hands to retake land that rightfully belonged to Germany. The problem was hitlers troops did not stop with the land that belonged to germany before world war I, they took all of poland.

However, this is the part that is overlooked by our history books, Hitler asked the international community for help to defuse the tensions with poland. The international community refused to help.

Putin has an obligation to protect Russians, which is why he taking this action in the Ukraine. Putin does not want war.

IMO, what you're referring to are in effect technically justifiable excuses to attain a higher objective by both nations. The similarities are striking to say the least.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Yeah the international community refused to help after watching Germany take Austria and Czechslovakia and reoccupying the rhineland against their signed agreement.

What signed agreement? The treaty of Versailles?

Austria is called the eastern empire for a reason. Hitler wish to reunify Germany.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Where does history start? There was no Germany prior to Bismark. Does fifty years a settled border make? Were Bismark's boundaries the correct and true boundaries of Germany? Were the Versailles boundaries the correct and perfect ones? How about the post-WWII division? Maybe the Holy Roman Empire's boundaries? The Empire's borders were in place much longer than Bismark's yet kept changing as well. Taking a picture of a moving landslide and declaring that moment in time to possess the correct configuration of the landscape will lead to much future anguish.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What signed agreement? The treaty of Versailles?

Austria is called the eastern empire for a reason. Hitler wish to reunify Germany.

Yeah just that small treaty that ended a world war. And what does it matter what Austria was called? The international community watched enough of him consuming his neighbors under the threat of violence and the excuse he was trying to protect people of german ancestory. He knew what he was walking into when France and the UK declared war on him.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Where does history start? There was no Germany prior to Bismark. Does fifty years a settled border make? Were Bismark's boundaries the correct and true boundaries of Germany?

Borders are where people identify themselves, and not be international treaty.

Even from Roman times, the Germanic tribes went from the North Sea to the top of what is now Italy.

Yeah just that small treaty that ended a world war.

A treaty that Germany was forced to sign. Its not like they had a choice.

As we all know, contracts signed in duress are not enforceable.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Even from Roman times, the Germanic tribes went from the North Sea to the top of what is now Italy.

Really, so why have national govts at all if there is no recognized borders in your world?

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013

You obviously have not been to our planet.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

I don't think even Putin would appreciate you defending him by saying Hitler wasn't so bad. :D

The other difference in your analogy is that there weren't any (significant numbers of) ethnic Russians in that territory until relatively recently when Stalin drove out the Tatars and flooded it with Russians.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The other difference in your analogy is that there weren't any (significant numbers of) ethnic Russians in that territory until relatively recently when Stalin drove out the Tatars and flooded it with Russians.

Proof?

Really, so why have national govts at all if there is no recognized borders in your world?

Anytime international borders are redrawn through force, civil war and/or genocide is a certainty.

Whether it was the Oder–Neisse line, Croatia, Bosnia, Czechoslovakia, and now Ukraine, international treaties can not force a people to identify themselves.