Hillary Campaign - Updated

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Link

I was looking at the David Gergen article linked above and came across this:

Only a few days ago, Carl Bernstein reported on CNN that the Clinton campaign was sitting on some nasty stuff about Obama ? stuff they thought the media should have featured a long time ago ? and the campaign was preparing to go hard negative with it. We have heard rumors of this kind before and nothing has materialized, but there was a sense that perhaps in a desperate, 11th-hour bid for the nomination, the Clintons would throw the rest of the kitchen sink at Barack, and maybe the bathroom, too.

I musta missed that in the news. If Carl Berstein is correct, things could get ugly soon.

-----------------------------
Link

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The chief strategist for Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is quitting that post amid criticism of his public relations firm's contacts with the Colombian government over a pending free-trade deal, Clinton's campaign announced.

Mark Penn and his political consulting firm will continue advise the New York senator's Democratic presidential bid, but Penn will give up his job as chief strategist, campaign manager Maggie Williams said

This will probably be taken as a sign of trouble. But might end up being a good thing for Billary's campaign, although likely to late in the game to matter much. Seems like so far it's been a two-headed beast of sorts. I suppose Howard Wolfson will now be in-charge of this.

Fern

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
The ship has sunk. She needs to get out of the race for the good of the democratic party.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I don't mind if she stays in the race, so long as she can behave ethically (i.e. admitting the elections in FL/MI were a joke and splitting the delegates in half). So far she hasn't shown herself capable of that, but I remain optimistic.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
The ship has sunk. She needs to get out of the race for the good of the democratic party.

Yep, it's actually over, the only thing keeping it alive is the media.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Seems like he pretty much had to after the whole Bosnia thing. Last thing she needs is another "Hillary is a Liar" scandal with him around considering the NAFTA issue and the PA primary just a few weeks away (and Obama pulling within single digits in some polls.)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
aye, hillary's first-rate galleon was last seen adrift in the bermuda triangle with some of her campaign staff walking the plank at saber point, a few others hanging from the yardarms, some others being keel-hauled abaft while the rest are valiantly brewing potions and casting curses at obama dolls.

meanwhile, superdelegates and other mutinous crew members have been seen abondoning ship over the starboard gunnel and swimming over to dinghys bound for obamaland.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
She should've just packed her bags after the Bosnia incident. Let's see - Bosnia lies, posturing about NAFTA, her chief strategist openly working against her fabricated stand, hospital lies, campaign finances a mess. Not to mention this "strong woman" could not stand up for herself as a woman. Seems like her Husband is banned from her rallies, etc even when she wins for political reasons.

Sounds like the kind of cold, heartless b*tch that gives women a bad name.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Yeah, and all those people who keep voting for her. When she wins PA blame the media, not the voters. The overwhelming majority of voters expect Obama to win the nomination, and still half aren't voting for him. That's not the media, that's lack of voter confidence.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Yeah, and all those people who keep voting for her. When she wins PA blame the media, not the voters. The overwhelming majority of voters expect Obama to win the nomination, and still half aren't voting for him. That's not the media, that's lack of voter confidence.

What you call lack of voter confidence I think is more fanatical commitment and a fear that only a fighter who demonize the opposition can win. Hope scares the cynical.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This has been a continual problem for her campaign more than McCain's or Obama's. She lacks, obviously, the ability to reign in her people and keep them under control with a cohesive and consistent face for the campaign.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My guess is that she attracts divisive and combative people and that comes out when blood gets in the water.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
My guess is that she attracts divisive and combative people and that comes out when blood gets in the water.

yeah, but Obama attracted Pabster :) nothing but love for you :beer:

Oct 27, 2007

What you call lack of voter confidence I think is more fanatical commitment and a fear that only a fighter who demonize the opposition can win. Hope scares the cynical.

Right, if they're voting for your guy it's because of hope. But if they're voting for the other side it's fanatical. You're a hypocrite Moonbeam.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

Right, if they're voting for your guy it's because of hope. But if they're voting for the other side it's fanatical. You're a hypocrite Moonbeam.

No, I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I think there's a general leaning in the directions I suggested. I think people who believe in fighting are more inclined to Hillary and those who are looking for change in the direction of consensus are more for Obama. Are you trying to tell me that people pick their candidates out of a hat with nothing they say or stand for affecting anybodies position? Maybe you feel insulted to know you're hopeless instead of proud to be a fighter, no?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

So says Moonbeam as he attempts to demonize anybody who supports Hillary.

There are times to compromise, but just as surley there are times NOT to.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
BTW, +1 superdelegate today for Obama.

He has gained 55 supers since Super Tuesday; Hillary has lost 5 in the same period of time.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

I tried to give a description I thought resembles reality. I can't help it if you felt demonize. Why would people support different candidates if they weren't looking for different things.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I tried to give a description I thought resembles reality. I can't help it if you felt demonize. Why would people support different candidates if they weren't looking for different things.

I didn't feel demonized, but recognize your attempt at implying Hillary backers are "fanatics" who need to "demonize" their opposition.

Hope is a great thing but by itself it doesn't put any food on the table.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999

I didn't feel demonized, but recognize your attempt at implying Hillary backers are "fanatics" who need to "demonize" their opposition.

Hope is a great thing but by itself it doesn't put any food on the table.

Neither does a candidate who can't even manage the finances of her own campaign. Yeah, she'd be a great fit from an economic standpoint.