Hill averts Obamacare mess

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/capitol-hill-obamacare-crisis-solved-95100.html?hp=f3

Lawmakers and staff can breathe easy — their health care tab is not going to soar next year.

The Office of Personnel Management, under heavy pressure from Capitol Hill, will issue a ruling that says the government can continue to make a contribution to the health care premiums of members of Congress and their aides, according to several Hill sources.

No worries of a "brain drain" due to spiking health premiums in D.C. The rest of the nation - well, not so much. We'll get to pay for our own and continue to pay for lawmakers and their staff. There are perks that come with being at the top. The proletariat be damned!

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
title misleading.

If obamacare is so fucking great, then the lawmakers and their minions should be subjected to just as well.

But its Washington, and just another thing that lib's used to sell Obamacare to the American people that will be thrown out the window.

And another reason why any of the 'boarder' security stuff in the Senate immigration bill is a lie, amnesty will happen, boarder security will be ignored.

Off with their heads.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly the idea that the government shouldn't be paying for health insurance for congressmen was stupid to begin with.

Still funny to see them backtrack on it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Congress will always exempt itself from laws that are implemented for the good of the people.

It is because Congress thinks that it is better than the people and should not be subjected to those rules.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I honestly don't understand how this is an "exemption." They still have to get plans through the exchange. This is just determining if their employer, which happens to be the government, will be able to still contribute a percentage of the premiums, like most of everyone else's employers do.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
What seems to be the problem, if the peasants can't afford bread let them eat cake.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is very clear that basically no one in this thread knows what they are talking about.

There was a specific provision in the law that prevented the government from paying the staffers' health premiums like most other employers do. If anything this makes congressional employees MORE like the rest of the country, not less.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I honestly don't understand how this is an "exemption." They still have to get plans through the exchange. This is just determining if their employer, which happens to be the government, will be able to still contribute a percentage of the premiums, like most of everyone else's employers do.

Can everyone else 's employer put you on the exchange and then pay part of the premium to the exchange?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Can everyone else 's employer put you on the exchange and then pay part of the premium to the exchange?

Is any other employer forced to have their employees use the exchange by law?

This complaint is dumb.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

This complaint is dumb.

Is any other employer the one who wrote the fucking law in the first place?

Your defense of this is dumb.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is any other employer the one who wrote the fucking law in the first place?

Your defense of this is dumb.

That makes absolutely no sense, your post is dumb.

It was a dumb provision to begin with that was inserted for political reasons. Getting rid of it is a good idea. Furthermore, the posts in this thread show quite clearly that those complaining about it didn't even know what they were talking about.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Maybe the government can reduce its staff to less than 50 employees who work 29 hours a week or less...It can't be any different than the results they produce now...LOL

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Maybe not by law, but many employees will certainly be forced into the exchanges by their employers.

Unions and corporations get exemptions. Congress continues to get their plan paid for as always. Who gets screwed? The little guy as always. And all I hear is how Obama and the dems are looking out for us little people.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Maybe the government can reduce its staff to less than 50 employees who work 29 hours a week or less...It can't be any different than the results they produce now...LOL
I dunno, Congressmen and Senators barely work 50 hours per year as it is and we are getting hosed left and right.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Maybe not by law, but many employees will certainly be forced into the exchanges by their employers.

Unions and corporations get exemptions. Congress continues to get their plan paid for as always. Who gets screwed? The little guy as always. And all I hear is how Obama and the dems are looking out for us little people.

What does any of that have to do with the thread? Do you even understand what is at issue here?

I can say personally that there has never been a piece of federal legislation that will have as large and directly positive impact on me personally as this law. I can say they definitely did a good job looking out for me.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
This is not unexpected. However, this means that OPM will be issuing a regulation in direct contradiction to the plain-language reading of the law. Don't be surprised if lawsuits are filed; the big question is who has proper standing to challenge?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is not unexpected. However, this means that OPM will be issuing a regulation in direct contradiction to the plain-language reading of the law. Don't be surprised if lawsuits are filed; the big question is who has proper standing to challenge?

My guess would be any clerk required to sign off on funds disbursement that they think is illegal would have standing.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
To file a law suit you have to have damages. So file the lawsuits on the first day of Obammacare implementation and ask for an injunction. To stop the law. For instance if one group gets an exemption like the IRS Union or Wal-mart or Pelosi's Family Business, then claim you have damages and they get a free ride like a union. Or go a different route and claim unequal application of the law. Why is it that all these domocratic bills are so full of RED TAPE that it takes an army of Lawyers and Accountants to implement them?

KISMIF (Keep It Simple, Make It Fun)

Last edited:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
What does any of that have to do with the thread? Do you even understand what is at issue here?

I can say personally that there has never been a piece of federal legislation that will have as large and directly positive impact on me personally as this law. I can say they definitely did a good job looking out for me.
Everything! If the average joe can be forced into the exchanges then why not congressional staff or congress themselves for that matter. Why are the laws they write for us not good enough for themselves or their supporters (unions)? Sen. Grassley specifically put that amendment in the bill for that purpose and the fools overlooked it. But now that they've passed the bill they can see whats in it, and what a surprise, its a giant turd for them too!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...out-of-participating-in-obamacares-exchanges/

You are the first person Ive ever heard say that Obamacare is great for them. Please do tell me more about yourself so I can see who this legislation helps.

I'm with Danny Werfel, the acting IRS chief, who like most other Americans says leave my insurance alone!

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/werfel-irs-chief-pass/2013/08/01/id/518347

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Don't you just love how unelected bureaucrats can simple makeup laws and call it regulation?

Pathetic.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Everything! If the average joe can be forced into the exchanges then why not congressional staff or congress themselves for that matter. Why are the laws they write for us not good enough for themselves or their supporters (unions)? Sen. Grassley specifically put that amendment in the bill for that purpose and the fools overlooked it. But now that they've passed the bill they can see whats in it, and what a surprise, its a giant turd for them too!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot...out-of-participating-in-obamacares-exchanges/

You are the first person Ive ever heard say that Obamacare is great for them. Please do tell me more about yourself so I can see who this legislation helps.

I'm with Danny Werfel, the acting IRS chief, who like most other Americans says leave my insurance alone!

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/werfel-irs-chief-pass/2013/08/01/id/518347
Did you even read the article? Congress still has to get their insurance from the exchanges. Or did you take the OP's word for it that they don't? Because he is just lying as usual. That's pretty much all he knows how to do.