Hilary to drop hospital incident from speech

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
thanks for the due diligence in posting the updated truth ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/aponlin...spital-Fact-Check.html

THE FACTS:

Clinton said she heard the story from Meigs County Deputy Sheriff Bryan Holman during a visit to Pomeroy, before the March 4 Ohio primary.

In a March 26 phone interview with The Associated Press, Holman said he had told Clinton the story in essentially the same way she was retelling it in her speeches. He said he knew the Bachtel story only second hand, and lacked several details.

The AP then spoke with Bachtel's aunt, Susie Casto of Middleport, who helped raise the woman. She said Bachtel, who worked at a pizza parlor, did in fact have health insurance when she and her baby died.

But at an earlier time, Casto said, Bachtel lacked health insurance and ran up unpaid bills when treated at a clinic near her home in Middleport. When she returned for treatment when pregnant, the clinic demanded $100 per visit to help retire the outstanding debt, Casto said. Because Bachtel could not afford the fees and found it difficult to travel, her aunt said, she postponed receiving treatment.

Bachtel eventually went to O'Bleness, about 30 miles to the north, for attention.

Casto declined to name the clinics or hospitals involved, and said she felt medical professionals did all they could to save Bachtel and her unborn child.

Pomeroy has about 2,000 residents and two medical clinics. One is affiliated with O'Bleness, the other is the Holzer Clinic, part of a nine-facility chain.

O'Bleness Health System spokeswoman Lynn Anastos said Monday that Bachtel was not a patient at their Pomeroy facility and ''she would not have been turned away for lack of payment'' if she had sought treatment there.

Holzer associate administrator Jim Blevins said his company has no record of Bachtel being a patient for the past five years. About half of Holzer's patients are ''charity cases,'' he said, and the company tries to work out payment schedules with those who fall behind on their bills.

In some cases, Blevins said, Holzer clinics place ''credit restrictions'' on patients believed to be able but unwilling to pay their bills. That would not apply to patients needing immediate or emergency care, he said.

Clinton erred in telling audiences that the Ohio woman lacked insurance when seeking help for her troubled pregnancy. But according to Casto's account, Bachtel's medical tragedy began with circumstances very close to the essence of Clinton's now-abandoned account: the lack of insurance created a $100 barrier to needed medical attention close to home.

:thumbsup:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Originally posted by: loki8481
so, she was told a story by a police officer... she later found out, after retelling the story the cop told her, than parts of it might be inaccurate, so she stopped telling it.

why is this news? :confused:

So, he was told a story by a CIA officer...he later found out, after retelling the story the CIA had told him, that parts of it might be inaccurate, so he stopped telling it.

Sadly, this was after he invaded Iraq.

What an absolutely absurd analogy. You should be ashamed of yourself for even comparing Clinton retelling a story about one person's health care experience without checking it, with Bush's flagrant and deliberate misuse of bad intelligence leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human beings.

Absurd? The root problem is exactly the same, a failure to adequately check the facts before launching into a political position. In otherwords, incompetance. Let me put it this way, at which point do we cross that competance threshold?

Let me use an analogy to explain. If I have a boat and I replace one plank, is it still the same boat? How about if I replace two, then three, or four? At what point do we agree it is now a different boat?

I'm not going to give a politician a single plank from which they can attempt to mislead the public at large, I've had enough of that from Bush and Bill Clinton.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I'm no fan of Hillary Clinton but I have to say I don't think she it lying about anything.

She was told a story that was factually untrue and decided to not research it like the idiot that she is and instead decided to spread the story as part of her stump speaches around the country.

Its completely different than SniperGate becuse that was a firsthand experience.

Neverming the fact that even if this story WERE true, it would still be a 1 out of 1,000,000 incident. Thats the bigger outrage, that she tried to portray these incidents as the norm rather than a mistake.

That being said, could she be any more pessimistic about this country with these kinds of stories? I mean, just listening to Hillary tell that story to an audience made me want to kill myself (not really, but you get the point).

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett
I'm no fan of Hillary Clinton but I have to say I don't think she it lying about anything.

She was told a story that was factually untrue and decided to not research it like the idiot that she is and instead decided to spread the story as part of her stump speaches around the country.

Its completely different than SniperGate becuse that was a firsthand experience.

Neverming the fact that even if this story WERE true, it would still be a 1 out of 1,000,000 incident. Thats the bigger outrage, that she tried to portray these incidents as the norm rather than a mistake.

That being said, could she be any more pessimistic about this country with these kinds of stories? I mean, just listening to Hillary tell that story to an audience made me want to kill myself (not really, but you get the point).

Go watch Sicko to see what you consider 1 in 1,000,000 incident is really indicative of the problems with insured health coverage in the US, and the choices people are forced to make within the system. (which finger would you like to save? your insurance will only pay for 1)

http://www.bizjournals.com/nas...008/04/07/daily22.html
Interesting story. 676 Tenneseean's died in 2006 simply from not having health insurance. That's not 1 in 1,000,000, it's 1 in 10,000. Unacceptable, and perfectly appropriate for a politician to bring to everyone's attention. Cause for pessimism about our current healthcare system, or more accurately the lack thereof?

As to "even if this story WERE true" you can change it to "now that we know the story actually is true". So your outrage that HC portrays these incidents as the norm instead of a mistake is not justified, since it is the norm for far too many people.