Hiking for Diabetes: Please Read...

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
As a few of you have surmised or read by now, I am in the finishing stages of preparing a manifesto. Not of the Unabomber sort, but of a preparatory account of what I'll be doing from April until September of next year: hiking.

As a previous, quickly-buried post indicated, I am planning on hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (a 2653 mile-long National Scenic Trail running from Campo, Mexico to Manning Park, British Columbia) next year to benefit the American Diabetes Association, an organization to which I credit a major transformation in my outlook on life.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on about this, but won't unless prompted. :)

What I need from y'all is this: I set up a webpage and domain, but haven't the slightest idea (beyond my own objective standpoint) of how it looks, how the information is presented, what other information would be nice, etc. I'm hoping to raise as much awareness toward diabetes (nearly 16 million people in America alone are diabetics) as possible; your help will be greatly appreciated.

If you have any comments or questions, please email me and post them to this thread. I'm hoping this thread survives the OT forum for at least a while this time around.

If you have any friends or family who are diabetics (and odds are many of you probably do), please pass word about this website around. I've worked long and hard on it and would love for it to spread to others; hopefully others will appreciate it.

And, without further ado, the URL: www.hikefordiabetes.org

thanks much,
Rob

Semper Fi

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
Pretty good.

I think a map of the west coast with something like a redline to show your route would be good. People need to see. Need more info, try to draw it out more.

My wife's family has a lot of diabetics. Good luck, it's a good cause. I'll pass the link on to a few people. :)

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Thanks. :)

The map is coming, I have to find one that is public domain that I can 'modify' without worrying about copyright issues though. :)

Rob

qacwac

Oct 12, 2000
my aunt is diabetic. I'll tell my mom to tell her about it. Have a great trip. I've done a little hiking in the Smokies and TN but nothing over 12 miles. I'm hoping to do some more now that I'm closer to them.

Here is a recommendation but it may take some time. (This is what I'm planning on doing on my home page) Get all geared up and take a picture of yourself. Do it for winter hiking, summer hiking, rain hiking, whatever, and post those on the site with each part of your clothing and/or pack linking to an explanation of what the gear is called, what it's for, what it's made of, how much it cost, or whatever you want. That way people who know nothing about hiking will be able appreciate it a little more. Or you could just have it bring it up when the user mouses over it.

I thought it looked good though. The map will add a lot. Good luck again.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
qacwac,

I like the idea of the gear pictures, though they won't exactly be spectacular. (We're only carrying about 10lb of gear most of the time, the rest will be food). Still, to people who don't hike, that might be interesting. What page do you think that would flow well off of? Maybe I'll make a 'gear' page so we can list what we're bringing...that will be of interest to hikers and maybe non-hikers as well.

thanks
Rob

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
Entity, when you do the map you could also include planned stops, anticipated distance covered vs. actual as you go along (so I can decide if I ever wanna do it ;) ), and as you stop update each time so people can keep track of you.
Have you considered contacting a company such as Casio or Compaq and asking for sponsorship? It'd be great for them to use something like this to promote wireless internet access on handheld PCs. ;) Presented as a marketing tool this hike might appeal to one of them...particularly if you tell them that you'll give very frequent updates emphasizing the use of their products and that their website/ad campaign can use all info/pics in exchange for a very generous donation to your cause. Also, it's a possibility that a local Seattle company would be thrilled to sponsor you and provide the electronic gear in exchange for the publicity and community good will. I'd hit up Microsoft and ol' Bill since he's got WindowsCE out there so hot and heavy and connectivity's supposed to be a big selling point. How about at that long traffic light he's always griping about? lol Seriously, this hike lends itself to a lot of symbiotic semi-commercialized possibilities, and could be exploited (in a GOOD way!)to benefit both the Diabetes awareness and fundraising effort AND the sponsoring businesses. Just tossing out ideas - hope one's useful!
Best of luck on this - it's a really worthy cause, and I envy you. Beautiful country you'll be going through. You can keep the blisters though. :)

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
unxpurg8d has an excellent point there as far as getting the business end of it, and I would love to see a chart of the PCC, and or MUIR ;) LOL, and your actual or relative progress. I think adding that page then having intresting facts about the gear and about diabetic conditions would flow from the "progress" page. Enjoy this trip as I wish I could go myself.

SHUX

Chef0083

Golden Member
Dec 9, 1999
Site looks pretty good. Nice and straightforward,, no filler. I wish you louck in your endeavor.

D

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
How about a list of mail drops, so people could send stuff to you. If you are going to keep a journal how about posting it as you go.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Next stop: gear page. I'll be working on that and hopefully should have it up by next week.

I like the idea about the mail drops, denali.

Oh yeah, we are going to be adding a link to our journals, which will be updated every week to a week and a half as we go...

This is so much work, but so much fun. I think I've found my calling. :)

Rob

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My 14 y/o sister is type 1 diabetic, I think it's great your doing this. I'll let my mom know and she will make a donation, as she always does to diabetic stuff like this.

Also, unxpurg8d's idea is great. You can get some great sponsorship that way.

good luck :)

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm having a hard time getting the word out about this site - does anybody have any suggestions? I know that it isn't exactly the most popular topic for searches out there, but would like to get the word out to those who would care.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Rob

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Wow thats great ... as someone who will probably develope diabetes later on in my life (my dad was a diabetic and my mom has just been diagnosed as it ) I think its great ... I wish you well and will keep you in my prayers that you will have a safe hike and make lots of money for the cause :)

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Hmm.. Have you tried contacting other diabetes sites? Like self-help support group type sites? Maybe even WebMD would be willing to put up a link (I think they have message boards you may be able to post to).

Maybe make up a few buttons and banners to give to webmasters to put up. Maybe your own link exchange, they link to you - you link to them. Maybe even contact Anand to see if he'd be willing to put up a small button for you someplace (never know, it's worth a shot...)

Try getting a corporate sponsor to help you out that would put a link to your website on their's. Maybe put up a flyer at school/work. Flyers at hospitals and doctor's offices.. you gotta be creative in your marketing of the site.

Getting search engine traffic is a long, tedious task. If you don't know the search engines well, you're gunna have a really hard time getting onto the front page for a search for 'diabetes.'

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm working on a banner right now. What do you think of the site? Additions I should make? Does it look OK?

thanks,
Rob

Cable God

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
Entity, thank you for your support. I have had diabetes (insulin-dependent-2 shots a day) for 16 years now, since I was 5. I have gotten used to it, and it's now a normal part of everyday life for me now. Thank you again for your support.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Cablegod,

I'm just trying to give something back to the community that's given me so much. You came down with it a lot earlier than I did; I came down with it at 14 - I've had it 6 years now - and for me, too, it's just a normal part of life. The lows become harder to detect over time, though, and that's a bit scary. :p

Rob

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Hmmm. The site looks well laid out, but it needs more info. I guess you haven't selected all your gear and stuff, but a little more info would be nice. As others have pointed out, get a map up there. Living on the right coast, I have no idea where the trail runs.

More info on that front page would be nice. A few more paragraphs. This is the place where you have to really make an impression with the reader. Hit em with your best stuff to get donations and sponsors. Make them want to click onto some of the other links to find out all about your trip.

I'll talk to my mom see if I can't convince her to donate some dinero. Tax deductible is her middle name, she dontates to all sorts of places. She was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year. No shots for her, just pills and checking her blood sugar two or three times a day.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Ok, I'm going to work on a preliminary gear page tonight and get it up there. I know what you're saying; I feel like something is missing, but I don't know what else to put up there.

I'm working on some stuff right now. Hopefully by the end of November I can have a final site up and running. Going to add links for journals, which we will most likely be posting as we go along.

Rob

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Entity, you and your friend are two very selfless people. Deciding to undertake such an effort no matter how noble the cause is never easy. I do not have any family members with diabetes but I do have several friend that will benefit from the project.

Keep up updated.

Windogg