Hiking at Yosemite

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I'm going to be heading out in a week and would like to know if anyone has any advice or wisdom to share. I'm planning on backpacking, but I don't want to get in too deep. I'm not worried about getting lost or anything, but if anyone has been on any trails that are really good, let me know. I have about 4 days.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
I went there during the winter. Beautiful place. I never really hiked the trails but did travel around.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Good bug repellent, carry a decent amount of water, a water purification kit, basic first aid kit and use broke-in hiking footware.

Search youtube for hiking Yosemite...Enjoy.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was just there last Wednesday. Gorgeous as usual. Waterfalls are almost all dry right not, but otherwise, it was a beautiful fall day. I don't hike much, (too mobility challenged anymore) but there are some great hiking trails to he had there. Day hikes, week hikes, whatever you want.
Here's a few pix I tool last May, when the falls were in full force:
http://www.whodah.com/modules/Gallery/Yosemite-5-06

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Bear canisters are required for all food items and scented products. You are still required to get a permit for backpacking (day hikes do not require permits.) Check the nps website for more information and/or reservations. I only had the pleasure of hiking out of Yosemite Valley. Gorgeous but way too many people. I'm considering the Wawona area for my next visit.

Link for bear canister requirements:
http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You may also want to consider Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP for hiking. MUCH less crowded than Yosemite. Still have bear issues there however...

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
We were there a few years ago. I don't know the name of the trail, but it was the "back way" to Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls.

This web site isn't fancy or anything, but I visit it every time I go to a national park. Its suggestions on which trails to hike are invaluable.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I was just there last Wednesday. Gorgeous as usual. Waterfalls are almost all dry right not, but otherwise, it was a beautiful fall day. I don't hike much, (too mobility challenged anymore) but there are some great hiking trails to he had there. Day hikes, week hikes, whatever you want.

Those are some awesome pictures. They've had snow already?

z42

Apr 22, 2006
Originally posted by: cavingjan
Bear canisters are required for all food items and scented products. You are still required to get a permit for backpacking (day hikes do not require permits.) Check the nps website for more information and/or reservations. I only had the pleasure of hiking out of Yosemite Valley. Gorgeous but way too many people. I'm considering the Wawona area for my next visit.

Link for bear canister requirements:
http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm

Yeah, very important to get the permit. You CANNOT get same day permits, last I checked. So if possible you should apply now and be able to pick it up when you get there. There are a lot of great trails there, and they are clearly marked for the most part. It is still a good idea to have a nice waterproof, contour map for the area you will be hiking in; you can get them in the valley floor or maybe at the permit station. Also a good idea to make sure the roads you are planning on taking are open.

Also, depending on what your plans are, it is $20/vehicle to enter the park. You may want to keep it to one vehicle to cut down on costs. If you're a real miser, you can enter and leave the park late at night/early in the morning when the ranger stations are closed.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
OP...you'll have a great time no matter what trails you choose...Yosemite is absolutely amazing.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Take the hike to half dome. It is virtually the whole day of hiking. Great fun. You have to get on top of half dome, great view. It's about 15 miles round trip

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Those are some awesome pictures. They've had snow already?

Ned, thanks. Thse were taken when (unbeknownst to me) the CCD in my Nikon was crapping out. That day was the last day the camera worked...(since been repaired by Nikon.)
Anyway, those pix were taken the first week of May, and the snow from last winter was still melting off. IIRC, the snow pix were taken at about 6100 ft...near Crane Flats. When I was there last week, not a speck of snow to be seen. There was supposed to be some snow above 7000 feet Thursday, but I don't know if it happened or not, but if it did, it most likely melted off by now.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
I'm planning on backpacking, but I don't want to get in too deep.

Trails out of the valley are extremely well marked, so you can't go wrong.

Main trail is up the "giant staircase" to little yosemite valley to party with the bears. Can continue from there to Half Dome.

Less used is trail to top of Yosemite falls.

Suggestion:
On your 4-day schedule, you'd have time to drive out of the valley and up onto Tioga road, for an overnighter to May Lake.
Map

Before departure, ask the ranger station in the valley if you need a wilderness permit.

May Lake is spectacularly beautiful. I've been to all the camps out of Tuolomene Meadows many times, and rank May Lake as one of the most beautiful.

Me there

It has a full-on camp with tent cabins, showers, etc., but plenty of area away from all that for backpackers, too. All the other camps are accessible only by backpack or mule, but May Lake is just 1.5 miles off the road, all up.

From May Lake walk up Mt. Hoffman from where you can look down into Hetch Hetchy valley, twin of Yosemite.

First buy sack lunch at deli at store in the valley, drive up, hike in, camp. Absolutely do not leave food inside your parked car, as steel car is nothing to bears. Put food & scented things into free bear lockers at parking lot.

Best time for Yosemite is from last week in April to mid-May, when it's still really cold, before school lets out & crowds begin, before bugs hatch, while snowpack has started melting & waterfalls flow full.
I hope you have fun & post some photos of your trip here!

Liberty!

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: z42
Yeah, very important to get the permit. You CANNOT get same day permits, last I checked.

You most defintely can get same day permits. I do it all the time, however walk up permits are available starting the morning before you start your hike. Therefore, during the busiest times during the summer, it is preferable to either have reservations or be at the entrance station before it opens the morning before you start your hike to stand in line and get your permit.

To the OP - how experienced are you with backpacking? This late in the year, the conditions can change very quickly - going from sunny and warm in the morning to snowy and darned cold that evening. You really need to plan for everything.

Both Glacier Point and Tioga Roads will be closed to overnight parking starting OCT 15, so if you want to get up there (highly recommended if you have the proper weather equipment) you will need to take the pay shuttle from the valley (if that is still running...).

How many miles are you looking to do? I can definetly give you some suggestions with more specifications and your capabilities. Check my sig for my pics.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/trailconditions.htm