Higher than 60Hz Monitors (Higher than 60fps needed?)

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by MBrown, Dec 4, 2012.

1. MBrown

MBrown Diamond Member

I am looking into getting that Asus 144Hz monitor, but I want to know if this is the case. In order to see the benefit of the higher refresh rate, do you need to maintain a fps that is the same as the Monitors refresh rate, or will there be a difference no matter what your fps is?

2. Loading...

3. SMOGZINN

SMOGZINN Diamond Member

Theoretically a 144Hz monitor should always look better then a 60Hz monitor as it will be able to draw any ready frames faster. Realistically I doubt you could tell the difference if you are not able to maintain a FPS well over 60.

4. BTRY B 529th FA BN

i don't think the fps matters if it flickers at 60Hz vs 144Hz, am i wrong?

5. Black Octagon

Black Octagon Golden Member

You need to actually drive more than 60fps to derive the main benefits from a monitor that runs above 60Hz.

That said, there are some anecdotes on places like 120Hz.net, from people who claim that 60fps@120hz does feel slightly smoother than 60fps@60hz.

In short, don't buy a monitor greater than 60Hz unless you're willing to do what it takes (i.e., sacrifice eye-candy or upgrade your hardware) to actually drive 60-144fps

6. kache

kache Senior member

You need to get more than 60fps.
    But you will see the difference even at 80fps, as linustechtips proved.
    So I'd say go for it. Worst case scenario you will have to drop graphics options to have higher fps, but it's well worth it.

7. Ben90

Ben90 Platinum Member

I'm not so sure about smoother, but it does pull 0-16ms off the input delay depending on your criteria of measure.

8. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

60@60 can help to reduce microstutter slightly but really you need lower average frame times to benefit from a higher hz monitor.

9. bunnyfubbles

bunnyfubbles Lifer

of course it matters, if a screen is refreshing 60 times per second, you won't be able to truly benefit from having frame rates higher than 60fps

not only does a higher frame rate (60fps isn't that high) help with tracking fast moving objects, it improves input response times

I have yet to see a gamer who didn't think their upgrade to 120Hz (or better) mattered, and most simply can't even tolerate 60Hz if they ever had to go back to it.

10. Black Octagon

Black Octagon Golden Member

I must agree with this. I moved to 120Hz this year and literally get a headache if gaming at 60@60 now...and I've got poor eyes to boot