Higher Learning - the movie

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Anyone like this film ? I loved it - especially with all the recognizable characters in it... they all did a great job.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
Actually, I think it is one of the worst movies I've ever watched (without turning it off or walking out, so I guess it is a cut above those kind of movies). I thought it was just a big ball stereotypes with nothing new or original to say.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
$20mil first weekend says something for it...

Watching the director's commentary... he meant for Prof. Phipps (ended up with Laurence Fishburne) to be a Jewish prof so he can play off the Jews vs. Blacks thing... they toned it down with a black prof.

EDIT>> He also just mentioned the 4 guys that played the neo-nazis... they were all jews. Oh the irony.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
It made $20 million in its opening weekend? IMDB says it made $38 million total. AAR, it was directed by a guy who did one great movie (boyz in the hood), and that would account for a lot of people being interested in it. It seems that Singleton is indeed running out of things to say: 2 fast 2 furious and Shaft as exhibit a and b. He gets big props for boyz, but he's always looked to be a one hit wonder to me.