High temperatures during GTA V. Suggest a cooler.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GammaLazer

Apr 16, 2015
Thanks guys!
I have done few settings as per your suggestions and now everything is working super fine.

In BIOS I have four profiles. Silent, Standard, Turbo and Manual.
Even on the Turbo mode the max fan speed I got was 700RPM, that maybe because my CPU temperatures were more than normal for my MoBo to crank up the PWM fan to 1000+ RPMs.
So what I did is I set the Fan Profile to Manual and selected these settings.
CPU Upper Temperature: 50
CPU Fan Max. Duty Cycle: 100
CPU Lower Temperature: 30
CPU Fan Min. Duty Cycle: 80

Following this tada, fan is running at about 1350RPM and CPU temp is 31 C with ambient temp of 27C. While playing GTA V I have max temperature of about 37C.

And BonzaiDuck I followed your advice and uninstalled speedfan and installed AI Suite II to monitor my CPU temperatures and CHU and CHA fan speeds.
But only problem with it is that it won't show GPU temperatures and for that I will need HWMonitor.

Do I need a second fan on Pull mode on Cooler?
I want to confirm that I am not harming my fan by forcing it to run at 80% minimum always.

Current Setup
New_Doc_31_1.jpg

**I have never faced any crashes though while running even three programs simultaneously. But no doubt I might have been in some exception, and who knows how long enough.**

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
And BonzaiDuck I followed your advice and uninstalled speedfan and installed AI Suite II to monitor my CPU temperatures and CHU and CHA fan speeds.
But only problem with it is that it won't show GPU temperatures and for that I will need HWMonitor.

. . .
**I have never faced any crashes though while running even three programs simultaneously. But no doubt I might have been in some exception, and who knows how long enough.**

For monitoring programs, it had happened often enough, and I'd seen others speak of it -- that I try to be careful, at least under any sort of stress-testing.

It's apparent to me that the ASUS software will allow you to define thermal fan-profiles, which will continue to be operative once you turn off the software. CPU temperature for the ASUS software is always about 8C below the average-of-cores, anyway; voltages and fan speeds are accurate.

I think the latest version of HWMonitor will also track core speeds in Mhz, all of the important voltages and temperatures, and those for graphics cards as well. I'm inclined to say -- for monitoring -- it should be all anyone needs.

ON THE SECOND PULLER FAN IDEA: Consider buying or making something of this nature:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/th12fandubl.html

About three weeks ago, I'd found them for as little as $3 at Performance PCs (.com), and decided to purchase four. No telling when they may come in handy. I've also built equivalent ducts with foam art-board and the proper glue for it. The positive thing about the latter material: you can cover the duct in panels of Spire acoustic padding -- inside and out. You're likely to improve temperatures by at least a few C degrees while actually eliminating redundant fans.

Otherwise -- sure -- you can really pile up some fans one on top the other, but remember that motor noise will transmit to heatsink fins, especially with the fan attached.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I think you're worrying a little too much about the cooler. It's doing its job waaaay more than adequately, even if you set it to Silent. 54C while gaming is super chilly. In fact, setting it to Silent is a good idea for the fan's physical longevity.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
I think you're worrying a little too much about the cooler. It's doing its job waaaay more than adequately, even if you set it to Silent. 54C while gaming is super chilly. In fact, setting it to Silent is a good idea for the fan's physical longevity.

Agreed. 54C is downright cold for a CPU. You're totally fine without any additional work/investment, OP. Set it to silent. Be blissfully unaware that it even exists while it's keeping your CPU chilly.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Will I have to make a hole in the cabinet for using the duct?

I agree with lehtv's last comment.

I can't remember which case you chose, but your diagram tells me enough: No, you don't have to make a hole. You simply insert the duct between the cooler and the exhaust fan. You don't even need to use the extra accessories that come with the duct to hold it in place.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I can't remember which case you chose, but your diagram tells me enough: No, you don't have to make a hole. You simply insert the duct between the cooler and the exhaust fan. You don't even need to use the extra accessories that come with the duct to hold it in place.

I don't think a duct will have any noticeable effect when there's a 200mm ceiling fan sucking out the majority of the air.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I don't think a duct will have any noticeable effect when there's a 200mm ceiling fan sucking out the majority of the air.

Hah! I forgot! Somehow I thought it was an INTAKE fan, but looking again . . . you're right.

For one of the hotter components in a PC, a duct assures that you don't mix warmer air from the cooler exhaust with the rest of the internal case atmosphere. But there are certain imperatives . . . .

GammaLazer

Apr 16, 2015
Okay alright I will put the CPU fan in silent mode and leave rest as it is.
But thanks so very much guys for being there to help me.