high temp for c2d e6600? [solved]

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
i just got this system last weekend, using a p5b-e plus.

the room's ambient temperature is about 29-30°C.

asus pc probe's reading fluntuates between 58 to 64. also, when asus pc probe starts up, it even reads 75°C, and the vcore reads 1.25. while asus pc probe is running, asus ai also reports the same reading. ai's "high temperature" alert will also prompt frequently, and its default threshold for alerting is set to 65.

when i tried running a program which loads the cpu to about 60%. asus pc probe is reading 85°C.

the cpu is not overclocked, and asus ai is showing about 2400 mhz.

the strange thing is, when i use asus ai alone (without running asus pc probe), the voltage reads 1.1120. and the temperature reads around 57°C. the fan is averaging 2000 rpm.

if i run coretemp while asus ai is running, coretemp reports 57 to 63 just like asus ai.

but when coretemp is running alone, 1 core is at 53, the other core at 54. the strange thing is, when coretemp is running alone, it reports frequency to be 400x6. when asus ai is running, coretemp reports the frequency at 266x9.

take a look:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5140/coretemp1nx2.gif

what are the temperatures your stock 6600 give?

any idea what could be causing this?

any help much appreciated, as i thought this setup would give me a cool system.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
oh, i have already tried to re-seat the hsf. it feels snug when i try to wriggle it, and it doesn't feel loose in any way.

shroud72

Jan 20, 2007
Sounds like your using a standard heatsink fan unit although it does sound a bit high on the temps. Try using Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool as it will provide the most accurate temperature for your CPU. You can download it here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392

Did you use Thermal paste when applying the heatsink/fan to the cpu? If so how did you apply the paste and how much did you use? If your still concerned about the temperature you should get an aftermarket cooler such as Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
wow, i wish my cpu was that cool.

i think i might have added abit much of thermal paste. while i will probably still remove it, it's a dreadful thought having to take the cpu out again because the hsf is so hard to mount. quite unnerving to see the motherboard being flexed!

how much of a difference did the freezer make in terms of °C?

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
just tested with TAT and it reports about the same as coretemp. i tried the 100% workload thing, and both cores shot up to about 83-85.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
Aberforth,

one of my goals for this setup was to have it as quiet as possible, so can i ask if you can give me an idea how does the thermaltake hsf compare with the stock hsf in terms of noise?

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: saddy
Aberforth,

one of my goals for this setup was to have it as quiet as possible, so can i ask if you can give me an idea how does the thermaltake hsf compare with the stock hsf in terms of noise?

Saddy, Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 sound levels is around 17db, but the heatsink is enormous. Google for reviews

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Aberforth,

If the heatsink size is not too much of a concern there are much better (compared to the Blue Orb) quiet coolers out there such as the Thermaltake Big Typhoon (had this), Scythe Ninja, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra-120(currently using this), and Zalman 9500/9700.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Aberforth,

If the heatsink size is not too much of a concern there are much better (compared to the Blue Orb) quiet coolers out there such as the Thermaltake Big Typhoon (had this), Scythe Ninja, Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra-120(currently using this), and Zalman 9500/9700.

which is the quietest? :D

and does the quietest one have a size problem? from what i can see, there's a small heatsink right under the cpu.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Re-seat it again. Even with the stock cooler at stock settings, it should not be that high.

I had never built an Intel machine until now, and found it a bit more difficult than AMD for installing a HSF. I had to re-seat mine twice at first.

Also, what happens to your temps when your case is open? If the temps drop dramatically, you might have a serious air flow issue with heat building up inside the case.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
when i leave the case open, the temperature differ by 1 or 2 °C. the airflow is pretty good as i keep the cables out of the way for a roomy inside. there is also a 12 cm fan blowing out at the back.

will probably try reseating it. any good tips? it seems like i got it seated by luck both times.

saddy

Oct 11, 1999
after trying to reseat the stock hsf 3 times, it finally gave me an idle temperature of about 30°C at default speed.

the ironic thing is that the last try at reseating the hsf was the most effortless. i simply held the hsf firmly (not pressing hard) against the cpu, and gently pushed each tab in. i was not expecting each to click in so easily. now, i suspect the installation guides (the intel one as well as the asus manual) so far have not been giving the right/best procedures.

now, i have set my 2gb of kingston valueram to 333 mhz operation (had to bump voltage to 1.9) and my cpu multiplier at 9x and voltage at 1.325, and it's running at 3ghz. also set the pci express bus to 100, the pci bus (to 33.3) as well as disabled spread spectrum and c1e. the idle temp is about 40°C.

so far, i managed to pass 30 minutes of orthos (small ffts) and the temp maxed out at about 58°C.

am i right to say that it would be risking for a more unstable system if i try to bump the ram to 400mhz? i don't really want to get into extremes with this sytem, but i just want to push it for best value with what i have.

here's a snapshot of cpu-z and coretemp:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/689/coretemp2jh5.gif