High-speed dialup internet

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
For surfing webpages yes it's a little quicker but that's about it really. Frankly most folks go with DSL if they want to go on the cheap for internet access nowadays.

AMDMaddness

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2003
i had it with my dialup back in the say (2yrs ago) all it did was degrade pic quality or change the fonts to simple fonts, not much of an improvement and it used your computers cache a ton. If its free go for it if not its not really worth your time.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
The caching doesn't work that well they sometimes compress everything too, so all your images will be low quality. You will be annoyed with this if you get it.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
DSL is cheap, usually it's the same price or a couple bucks more than dial up, it's well worth the money assuming DSL is available.

shoRunner

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2004
oxymoron

Originally posted by: Baked
1.5MB DSL can be ordered for $13/month.

only if your lucky enough to be in an area where its available...1.5 = $35 here.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: conehead433
100% BS

I concur.

Plus, you often get served old content from the cache. Not much use when your news is 3 days old and the images have the quality of 60% jpeg compression.

blackrain

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2005
well its 9.99 and they like that its with their phone company so they get it as a bill as opposed to automatically deducted from their credit card.

The "high-speed" part is not an extra cost.

DSL....lets not go there in this thread.

Basically, at this point, i'de like to know whether its worthwhile or not to install the software and use the "high-speed" aspect, or just to use a regular logon.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Use regular logon. Also might try www.mailaka.net for dialup isp service. It might be a couple bucks cheaper. I haven't had any issues with it for 1.5 years.

EDIT: You can use their dialer, or you can just use standard logon. I use the dialer in XP, but I also use regular logon in linux. My friend uses Intergate, but they are strict about their online for so many hours before you have to disconnect rules. I used to use intergate too, but they would ban me for excessive use even though their service was advertised as unlimited access. I have gone ovr the hours for mailaka serveral times and have never been banned because of it. i have updated my linux distro (admitidly at small increments at a time say 6-8 hours) and never had a problem.

Good Luck, just remember read the fine print, some say unlimited, but want you to disconnect after 4 or 5 hours.

Perry

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I wish I could get broadband, but the only service available to me satilite. I would love to have the wild blue service, but can't afford it.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
It's not that bad. If it's like netzero's you can adjust the image quality. It does make things faster.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Baked
1.5MB DSL can be ordered for $13/month.

You're not that naive to know you're very lucky to get it at that price.

Quit bragging. :roll: