High school valedictorian fails exit exam 5 times

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
It's an open question how many "teachers" or parents understand the utility of homework. Anecdotally, I doubt this child lacks a work ethic but going home and practicing what you clearly do not know how to do has ZERO utility. A Kaplan or Sylvan Learning Center (and $2000) would have this kid running circles around an ACT.

[Disclosure]
<------- Former Kaplan instructor

I sometimes wonder if the schools understand the utility of homework. Two years ago, when my kids fiorst started school here (Shelby Co., TN), they didn't get homework on Wed. because, " Wed. evening should be set aside for church.". Last year the state added mandatory curriculum which forced them to give homework on Wed. This year the school rearranged the curriculum to allow the no homework policy to be reinstituted. To say the wife and I are pissed (again) would be understating the case by an order of magnitude. They are loading the kids down with homework on the other days of the week to support this policy, which is really what has us unhappy.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I wish I could have gotten A's in school because I was a good kid....

Yet another reason to pull your kids out of the public school system. The Board of Non-Education and it's inability to improve schools and teachings.

Parents not getting involved, teachers who don't care, 0 tolerance rules, metal detectors, being PC....etc

Will be home educating my children so they are not exposed to this kind of BS

Feb 3, 2001
Heh, sounds like someone was giving special *Slurpy* style favors in trade for grades ;)

I think we need to SCRAP the Entire High school system and send these kids STRAIGHT into a College-level curriculum IMMEDIATELY after Jr High. Our kids are stupid because we have super-low standards and we don't insist that they reach the upper bar.

I know a lot of people will whine about "stressing the kids" out, but TOO BAD. If some of them get stressed and pop their heads off, to hell with 'em, we don't want those people in the gene pool anyway!

Jason

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
It's an open question how many "teachers" or parents understand the utility of homework. Anecdotally, I doubt this child lacks a work ethic but going home and practicing what you clearly do not know how to do has ZERO utility. A Kaplan or Sylvan Learning Center (and $2000) would have this kid running circles around an ACT.

[Disclosure]
<------- Former Kaplan instructor

I sometimes wonder if the schools understand the utility of homework. Two years ago, when my kids fiorst started school here (Shelby Co., TN), they didn't get homework on Wed. because, " Wed. evening should be set aside for church.". Last year the state added mandatory curriculum which forced them to give homework on Wed. This year the school rearranged the curriculum to allow the no homework policy to be reinstituted. To say the wife and I are pissed (again) would be understating the case by an order of magnitude. They are loading the kids down with homework on the other days of the week to support this policy, which is really what has us unhappy.

Wow, pretty soon the class will look just like those madrassas in Afghanistan. Kids clutching the bible in both hands, swaying back and forth, lips moving frantically as they try to memorize every verse and psalm. Sick.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
my friend was a salutatorian in her school, but currently has a 2.6 GPA after two yeras of college :(

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: gwlam12
my friend was a salutatorian in her school, but currently has a 2.6 GPA after two yeras of college :(

College is a b!tch, especially depending on where you go. I was the valedictorian of my high school class, I've had scholarships pay for my first two years.

<--- University of Washington economics major, math minor - failed math major that wasted a stupid year dragged my GPA down .5 of a grade point.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't care what ANYONE says or what training you have. A 11 of the ACT is HORRID. I made a 21 at the beginning of my 7th grade year. This is not just the teacher's fault, because I had sub-par teachers in private school and then in public school until I started going to a magnet school. This is BOTH the girl and the school's fault. No other way around and no way to be an apologist on this issue. 11 is simply terrible and there is NO WAY anyone with half a brain makes that low of a score. I know people that I graduated with that made 18-20 their Senior year and were dumb as a brick. You cannot blame the schools completely for this. In fact most of the burden remains on the girl. There is no way you can be so freaking stupid that you don't realize you are learning. I am by no means a genius or super-smart or anything of the like, but I know good and well that I wouldn't have scored a 11 on the ACT in the freaking 3rd grade. The ACT is NOT a hard test and anyone with basic Math, Reading, English, and science skills should be able to score at least an 18.

The schools failed and the girl failed. She needs to look forward to her job as a burger flipper technician, because she isn't going to be able to accomplish much more. The school failed because they are no longer allowed to tell a student they are a failure. I am sorry but I have to pass on an equally ridiculous bit of news. The Birmingham City school system just came up with a new grading scheme. You CANNOT make less than a 50 on a test even if you get NOTHING right. How ludicrous is that? Basically you only have to get 10% of items correct to pass. Who is passing this sh!t? Our stupid namby pamby schools boards with their liberal bent towards making sure no child is left behind. Whatever. No child left behind only means something if you can help those that are being left behind. You don't just pass them anyways to boost their "self esteem." Thanks liberals you did a wonderful job again with your education reform. You should all be proud of each other and continue your Bush hating circle jerk.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
CKG - You say that this is why we need exit exams...in CA we had something like 50% of those failed to pass the Exit Exam so they DEALYED the requirement for a few years...

While I agree with you wholheartedly in that we should hold them if you can't pass something that EASY (It is easy...I talked to soo many freshman, sophmores, and Juniors [including my brothers] and most found it simple...nothing really difficult...being Class of 2003 I "lucked out" by 1 year) the hard part comes to actually enforce it. Are you going to stuggest holding back 500,000 students in the educational system that is already strained when it comes to budget (Me and my brother ran/run Cross Country and this year he will have to pay for bussing and the meets)? That doesn't seem practical...

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MillenniumWho is passing this sh!t? Our stupid namby pamby schools boards with their liberal bent towards making sure no child is left behind. Whatever. No child left behind only means something if you can help those that are being left behind. You don't just pass them anyways to boost their "self esteem." Thanks liberals you did a wonderful job again with your education reform. You should all be proud of each other and continue your Bush hating circle jerk.
Uh, hello genius? The "No Child Left Behind" Initiative was signed by Bush in 2001 and part of his agenda.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: MillenniumWho is passing this sh!t? Our stupid namby pamby schools boards with their liberal bent towards making sure no child is left behind. Whatever. No child left behind only means something if you can help those that are being left behind. You don't just pass them anyways to boost their "self esteem." Thanks liberals you did a wonderful job again with your education reform. You should all be proud of each other and continue your Bush hating circle jerk.
Uh, hello genius? The "No Child Left Behind" Initiative was signed by Bush in 2001 and part of his agenda.

Ummm duh! Why did you think I didn't know who signed it? I never said I liked Bush. In fact I don't really care for him at all, but I care even less for liberals and those in that "bi-partisan" majority that passed this. Politicians don't know how to reform or run schools. Who are you kidding? BTW, I said Bush bashers because that is ALL this forum is now.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium

Ummm duh! Why did you think I didn't know who signed it? I never said I liked Bush. In fact I don't really care for him at all, but I care even less for liberals and those in that "bi-partisan" majority that passed this. Politicians don't know how to reform or run schools. Who are you kidding? BTW, I said Bush bashers because that is ALL this forum is now.

You asked. But geeze, you're flinging blame all around. So how are liberals & their "education reform" cause all of this? Or am I misunderstanding? Is it the bi-partisan congress? Did Bush do this? How do you know?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I know a lot of people that just does their homework with their friends... and copy off a friend for the test.. and ace the class.. then they don't know anything...
some people know the stuff.. and is too lazy to do homework.. like me...
i failed algebra2 honors... and i aced the exit exam first try... first one done in the room of 300 or so people taking it...

i think it's a good test...i don't think she deserves to goto college since she never even took the time to make sure she knew the stuff...
i think she must have cheated in that class... no way you can fail all your tests in a math class and still get an A...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Make the students learn more to make sure no child is left behind or just dumbify the tests so that even retards pass.

Sorry, but she is retarded. I scored 900 on the SAT in the 7th grade. Hell, I know someone that did not even finish in the top half of our class who took the SAT just to see "How stupid he was", his words not mine and he got an 870 I think.

There needs to be one uniform test throughout the nation and while I don't think the "No child left behind" policy is the way to go because it penalizes smart kids and those who want to learn, at least it is exposing the joke that used to be called a public education.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Millennium

You asked. But geeze, you're flinging blame all around. So how are liberals & their "education reform" cause all of this? Or am I misunderstanding? Is it the bi-partisan congress? Did Bush do this? How do you know?

Because EVERYONE is to blame including the Conservatives. However, they have caused a lot less of the stupid make-yourself-feel-better-because-you-can't-fail psychobabble. Absolutely absurd that people think that will have a positive impact on kids! There is NO way that it can. A lot of people have their finger in the pie and a lot of people get the blame, but over 50% falls on the left. They masterminded a lot of this crap. How do I know? What I have read and experienced but this is mainly MY opinion.