High School Teacher kills day old bunny rabbits in front of class with a shovel!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I bet they were so shocked by this that they probably couldn't even concentrate on the fetal pig they were dissecting in biology.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What a fvcked up b!tch!! :|:|

And for those of you saying that killing them was fine, why do you say that? You don't think she could have taken care of the babies, and nursed them. She could have gotten the classes to help her do it. It would have taught them more than beating the rabbits with a fvcking shovel.

: ) Amanda

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Afterward, the kids went to the cafeteria to eat sloppy joes made from cows who spent their entire lives wallowing in feces. Where's the outrage over that?

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Czesia
I say that the teacher did what had to be done: the rabbits were suffering and had to be put down.

However, it's just poor judgement on her part to do it in front of students.

agreed. She could have easily said "Ok students... go inside for a minute"
<whack>
"OK... lets continue to learn how to be farmers"

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: ohtwell

And for those of you saying that killing them was fine, why do you say that? You don't think she could have taken care of the babies, and nursed them. She could have gotten the classes to help her do it. It would have taught them more than beating the rabbits with a fvcking shovel.

You're naive and clearly know little about animals if you think those rabbits had more than a snowball's chance in hell of survival. They would have suffered for a few more days at best, then died. My girlfriends father had a baby calf he took from a farm he worked at, it had an infection in one of its knees so the owner said he could have it since it would die anyway. He tried to bottle feed it and do the best that he could, it died about a week later. And this was a calf that was a lot more mature than a 1 day old rabbit.

She probably shouldn't have let the class see, since suburbanites are so afraid of having their children see reality that they would bring up a law suit over it. No wonder there's a shortage of good teachers.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Though her judgement was in question by killing the animals in front of students which in this day and age inevitably would lead to major headlines, she did the right thing if the rabbits were suffering. If she had demonstrated a history of animal abuse then there would be no question she had problems but I don't see anything of the sort mentioned here. She thought she was doing the right thing and ta da now it's a big news story.

I love animals and don't even like to harm the majority of insects but if those rabbits had no chance of survival she alleviated their suffering which is not the behavior of a cruel person in my opinion.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: ohtwell

You're naive and clearly know little about animals if you think those rabbits had more than a snowball's chance in hell of survival. They would have suffered for a few more days at best, then died. My girlfriends father had a baby calf he took from a farm he worked at, it had an infection in one of its knees so the owner said he could have it since it would die anyway. He tried to bottle feed it and do the best that he could, it died about a week later. And this was a calf that was a lot more mature than a 1 day old rabbit.

She probably shouldn't have let the class see, since suburbanites are so afraid of having their children see reality that they would bring up a law suit over it. No wonder there's a shortage of good teachers.

I fully agree with PingSpike with the exception of the "probably shouldn't have let the class see...." This is an ag class and part of being a farmer. If the school didn't think the suburbanites couldn't handle it, they need to cancel the class.

This outcome is much better than natural selection where both would have died anyway but not as fast. No one that has any ag knowledge will be able to convince me and anyone with ag knowledge that tries to convince me otherwise needs to go to a real school and take ag again.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: beer
Tactless to do it in front of students? Maybe. She's an agricultural teacher so I'm sure she may have had some farm background where things like this are much more common and accepted than in the suburban-like school district it implied she was working for. Maybe she didn't realize that so many people would be offended, but I think she did the right thing.

She's an agriculture teacher which means the students were studying agriculture, which includes farming right. How the fvck do people think we get hamburgers and pork chops? They just grow on trees? No. You kill the animal.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's an Ag class. If it had been a cow or pig that was in the same shape a farmer would have just put a bullet in it's head. If you aren't around livestock or been in the position where you've had to euthanize an animal you just wouldn't understand.

A shovel to the back of the head is quick efficient to a small animal. Much less painful than what a cat would have done to them when it ultimately found them.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Me laughs at all the shocked and horrified PETA wannabes who were taking her agricultural class.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Maybe it will turn them into animal lovers.

When I was a kid my dad made me watch as he took a bunch of young starling chicks he found in the rafters and chopped off their heads.

That picture has stayed with me my whole life. And as a result, I don't even step on bugs if I can help it.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: beer
Tactless to do it in front of students? Maybe. She's an agricultural teacher so I'm sure she may have had some farm background where things like this are much more common and accepted than in the suburban-like school district it implied she was working for. Maybe she didn't realize that so many people would be offended, but I think she did the right thing.

She's an agriculture teacher which means the students were studying agriculture, which includes farming right. How the fvck do people think we get hamburgers and pork chops? They just grow on trees? No. You kill the animal.
I thought they grew on meat trees :p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
Its life, get used to it!

I am sure these kids have seen 100x worse in movies. How many of them have seen Saving Private Ryan?!?

yea ages 15-18, im sure many of them have killed something before

Jan 18, 2001
This teacher did the humane thing to those rabbits. However, she should of at least told the kids what she was abotu to do so that they could leave/not watch if they didn't want to.

The $310/bunny is ridiculous.

Its not like she put a pancake on the bunnies' heads before whacking them.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Brutuskend

When I was a kid my dad made me watch as he took a bunch of young starling chicks he found in the rafters and chopped off their heads.

That picture has stayed with me my whole life. And as a result, I don't even step on bugs if I can help it.

When I was little my dad found one very pissed off mother Opossum + an ungodly number of babies (like 19 IIRC) in our shed. One .22 round for the mom, & the babies he killed with a machete.

Part of life.

Viper GTS

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: Brutuskend

When I was little my dad found one very pissed off mother Opossum + an ungodly number of babies (like 19 IIRC) in our shed. One .22 round for the mom, & the babies he killed with a machete.

Part of life.

Viper GTS

Heh, i read that as parts of life.

:)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This discussion is stupid. Actually, there is no discussion because the majority of people who think she was wrong simply quote 'shouldn't have done it in front of the students'. That's not even an argument.

She is a TEACHER. She taught them that sh*t happens in nature that you might not like, but you have to learn to deal with it. I swear, if this had been something like a baby rat we wouldn't even be reading this bs.

People are too damn soft these days.