High School Teacher kills day old bunny rabbits in front of class with a shovel!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
Its life, get used to it!

I am sure these kids have seen 100x worse in movies. How many of them have seen Saving Private Ryan?!?

Um, killing a defenseless little bunny rabit(Bugs for all we know) by euthinizing(murdering it) it in such a crude fashion (with a shovel) is much worse IMO.

THis has no bearing on my opinion, whcih is that she should have waited after class to do it. I am just saying that emotionally, most individuals think of Bunneis as the most innocent of creatures.

It quick and puts them out of their misery. You would rather have them suffer for hours until classes were over? Why?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Ketteringo
Its life, get used to it!

I am sure these kids have seen 100x worse in movies. How many of them have seen Saving Private Ryan?!?

Um, killing a defenseless little bunny rabit(Bugs for all we know) by euthinizing(murdering it) it in such a crude fashion (with a shovel) is much worse IMO.

THis has no bearing on my opinion, whcih is that she should have waited after class to do it. I am just saying that emotionally, most individuals think of Bunneis as the most innocent of creatures.

It quick and puts them out of their misery. You would rather have them suffer for hours until classes were over? Why?

But in feront of the students? That serves no overall purpose. Even if you convince them that it was the best course of action at the time, the violence of the action will surely outweigh any lessons learned.

She should have them outback where no one could watch.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The downfall of America continues. Sueing for killing animals. Jesus.
*heh* I'd like to show them how I skinned a coyote I had trapped. That'd give'm shivers I betchya.
Yeah, what's next, you can't even beat your own children? Damn democrats and bleeding hearts!

Christ people, this teacher beat to death two rabbits with a shovel in front of children. I don't think that needs to be explained.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
*heh* I'd like to show them how I skinned a coyote I had trapped. That'd give'm shivers I betchya.
Yeah, what's next, you can't even beat your own children? Damn democrats and bleeding hearts!

Christ people, this teacher beat to death two rabbits with a shovel in front of children. I don't think that needs to be explained.

She cut their heads off, there's a difference.

These are high school students, not pre-school. They're in an ag class. My brother's ag class was showed videos on how to collect sperm from farm animals. Yes, you jerk them off. With your hand.

Dealing with death is part of agriculture, just like dealing with life (the birth).

I would feel different if this were a pre-school class' pets, but I see nothing wrong with it under the circumstances.

Viper GTS

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

These are high school students, not pre-school. They're in an ag class. My brother's ag class was showed videos on how to collect sperm from farm animals. Yes, you jerk them off. With your hand.

Dealing with death is part of agriculture, just like dealing with life (the birth).

I would feel different if this were a pre-school class' pets, but I see nothing wrong with it under the circumstances.

Viper GTS
Oh well I was picturing 6 year olds crying as they watched the rabbits killed. I guess I didn't read the entire article

:eek:

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Love the media, they look for cheap (financially) stories to generate interest/headlines, years ago this was Enquirer/Globe quality reporting, now it's become mainstream.

Not one of the major news sources in the US has an office in Africa cuz it's so expensive to have foreign correspondents, so they jump onto crap like this.

We're all doomed:(

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Exactly what I was going to say, they took the class, were they expecting just to learn how to garden?

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
I grew up on a farm. I have seen MUCH worse than killing a day old animal for this reason. I have killed a 3 month old calf that was swarmed with fire ants over night when I was a teen. [EDIT] Bullet to the head, it wasn't a clean death. [/edit]

I know for a fact that IF it was a student that complained, they have seen worse in their history class (I remember seeing a video about the Vietnam war where they showed a prisoner get shot in the head at point blank and you saw his brain spray.) I have a feeling that the kids told their parents and they are the ones all huffy.

She then placed all four in the hole and, in view of the class, killed the two live rabbits by dismembering them with a shovel, Reder said. The rabbits were about the size of chicken eggs.

It wasn't clear how close the students, age from 15 to 18, were when Bender euthanized the animals.

"In View of the class" doesn't read "With the students in a Semi Circle around that hole." Most likely what happened is they were in the field talking to eachother (comeon, they are 15 - 18) and saw the teacher raise and lower the shovel. Some may have been standing near and watching but this is a life lesson.

Someone said "She should have done this less violently". You need to be welcomed to the real world. You would rather she had put them in a box and taken them to a Vet to be euthenized after school while the bunnies are suffering waiting for her to get off and then the vet could have charged the school $50 MINIMUM EACH for the shot that makes them stop breathing and they die by asphyxiation (sp)? Your school district must be much better off to be able to afford to poison a one day old animal so it can die from lack of oxygen instead of having a nasty b|tch use a shovel and instantaniously kill the suffering bunnies.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheGameIs21
I grew up on a farm. I have seen MUCH worse than killing a day old animal for this reason. I have killed a 3 month old calf that was swarmed with fire ants over night when I was a teen.

The irony is that it seems this was an ag. sciences class. I hope these ninnies aren't serious about being farmers.
"What do you mean I have to shovel the poop out of the stall? Eeeeeeeew. I'm gonna sue."

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
"killed the two live rabbits by dismembering them with a shovel"

hahaha, dismembered...

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
what she did was the right thing...but her method of doing it was a little too harsh

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
She's a teacher? Rabbits can survive when their mothers reject them. When our rabbit had babies, the rabbit refused to feed them. My dad would lay that rabbit on her side and hold her legs so the babies could nurse. All the babies grew up just fine.

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
I say that the teacher did what had to be done: the rabbits were suffering and had to be put down.

However, it's just poor judgement on her part to do it in front of students.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: dabuddha
She's a teacher? Rabbits can survive when their mothers reject them. When our rabbit had babies, the rabbit refused to feed them. My dad would lay that rabbit on her side and hold her legs so the babies could nurse. All the babies grew up just fine.

That would have been an option if two of the rabbits weren't dead, another wasn't attacked by fire ants and the last wasn't half drowned. 1 day old rabbits, or any animal that young, do not bounce back that well. It is VERY unlikely either would have survived...they may have hung on for a few more days if you forced the mother to nurse...and that is assuming that they were still capable of doing so. In the end you would have just wasted your time and prolonged their suffering.

Frankly, given that this is an ag class...I pretty much agree with what she did. On a farm animals get sick and need to be put down. Its tough for a kid to see, but at 15 I was totally able to understand the necessity of those deeds...Its an important lesson, particularly if you want to have anything to do with farming. They needed to be killed quickly to not further prolong their suffering. It was the best thing to do.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dabuddha

sure sure. but that dont discount the fact that one was getting eaten alive by fire ants. the other was drowning etc.

what the teacher did was right.

I have lived on a farm for the last few years. killing a baby rabbit is nothing. If they are offended by that then maybe the should choose onother course load.

I find it sad people would rather have the rabbits suffer then do it when she did.