High School Teacher kills day old bunny rabbits in front of class with a shovel!

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
PLANT CITY, Fla. -- A veteran Plant City High School agricultural science teacher faces fines and criticism after killing two day-old rabbits with a shovel as her stunned class looked on, authorities said Tuesday.

But Jane Bender won't face criminal charges for killing the sickly rabbits, which had been rejected by their mother, officials said.

Investigators said Bender killed two rabbits and buried them in a field near the agricultural lab with two others from the same litter that had died.

"We felt this person had to be held accountable," said Hillsborough County Animal Services investigator Dennis McCullough, whose agency filed two civil counts of animal cruelty against Bender. "It's just not what we want to teach people to do with injured or sick animals."

The civil penalties imposed by Animal Services require Bender to pay $310 for each count, or request a court hearing.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Rod Reder said the rabbits were born in Bender's agriculture lab last month. Two died at birth, and the mother rejected the other two, pushing both out of the outdoor pen in the school's agricultural complex soon after they were born.

One was found covered with fire ants, and the other was lying in a water trough.

Bender told investigators that on Feb. 12 she asked one student to dig a hole and explained to the class that the rabbits could not survive after being rejected by their mother.

She then placed all four in the hole and, in view of the class, killed the two live rabbits by dismembering them with a shovel, Reder said. The rabbits were about the size of chicken eggs.

It wasn't clear how close the students, age from 15 to 18, were when Bender euthanized the animals.

One student told investigators Bender asked the class to help her bury the rabbits, but they refused, Reder said.

No one answered the phone at homes listed to a Jane Bender in Plant City and nearby Tampa.

The State Attorney's Office "rejected any notion" of filing criminal charges, Reder said. "They were 1 day old, in poor health, and she used a shovel."

The Hillsborough County school district is reviewing the case, and Bender will meet with the district's Office of Professional Standards when she returns from spring break Monday, spokesman Mark Hart said.

Text

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
Its life, get used to it!

I am sure these kids have seen 100x worse in movies. How many of them have seen Saving Private Ryan?!?

TheChort

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
let me get this straight.
He killed a rabbit that was being eaten alive by fire ants, and now he is being charged $310 for animal cruelty?

Figures...

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: TheChort
let me get this straight.
He killed a rabbit that was being eaten alive by fire ants, and now he is being charged $310 for animal cruelty?

Figures...

it was a SHE.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Tactless to do it in front of students? Maybe. She's an agricultural teacher so I'm sure she may have had some farm background where things like this are much more common and accepted than in the suburban-like school district it implied she was working for. Maybe she didn't realize that so many people would be offended, but I think she did the right thing.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: beer
Tactless to do it in front of students? Maybe. She's an agricultural teacher so I'm sure she may have had some farm background where things like this are much more common and accepted than in the suburban-like school district it implied she was working for. Maybe she didn't realize that so many people would be offended, but I think she did the right thing.

I agree.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i would have just let the rabbits die on their own, then buried them. why waste the extra effort when everyone could play dodgeball or sleep in class?

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
should've done something less violent to kill the bunnies. or not infront of the class.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
killing a rabbit the size of an egg with a shovel is not violent. Its not even cruel.

You cannot possibly believe that 15 yr old + students have not seen worse. hell, she didnt pull their heads off, she hit them with a shovel.

Its probably the most humane thing to do.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
15-18?

One covered in ants?

One in a water trough?

Prosecutors refuse to charge her criminally, so the School sues her civily?

What a CROCK of SH!T.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: VTBigBear
one of them was covered with fire ants...
You forget that the other one was laying in a puddle, burbling.

Yeah, the school is stupid. All this PC PETA all-animals-are-like-humans junk is ridiculous.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
The sad part is that the mother rejected them and then they both just rolled over and died. Depressing.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
15-18?

One covered in ants?

One in a water trough?

Prosecutors refuse to charge her criminally, so the School sues her civily?

What a CROCK of SH!T.
I agree. I guess it was bad judgement doing it infront of the students, but still...

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
wonder what PETA would do about someone shooting a horse with a broken leg.

sometimes it's just best to put animals out of their misery.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
it was a pity kill.....get them out of their misery.....

i don't see anything wrong w/ the teacher's actions

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ketteringo

I am sure these kids have seen 100x worse in movies. How many of them have seen Saving Private Ryan?!?

Um, killing a defenseless little bunny rabit(Bugs for all we know) by euthinizing(murdering it) it in such a crude fashion (with a shovel) is much worse IMO.

THis has no bearing on my opinion, whcih is that she should have waited after class to do it. I am just saying that emotionally, most individuals think of Bunneis as the most innocent of creatures.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Ketteringo

Um, killing a defenseless little bunny rabit(Bugs for all we know) by euthinizing(murdering it) it in such a crude fashion (with a shovel) is much worse IMO.

THis has no bearing on my opinion, whcih is that she should have waited after class to do it. I am just saying that emotionally, most individuals think of Bunneis as the most innocent of creatures.

For anyone who didn't grow up within city limits these things are a fact of life.

My grandmother would have fed them to her cats.

:D

Viper GTS

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
The downfall of America continues. Sueing for killing animals. Jesus.
*heh* I'd like to show them how I skinned a coyote I had trapped. That'd give'm shivers I betchya.