High School Computer Network Security

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Hehe.... our high school has got to have the worst computer security system

they use novell to control program and an internet proxy that blocks NOTHING. i tried to ping a p*rn site and it worked! (didn't open it though) they blocked explorer, but since it has word on there (and they didn't change the default save to dir) you can access the entire system with the "open" dialog. I could have devestd the entire system, but I didn't (since this was in the library and the librarian is very nice to me)

I installed mirc on one of them. I don't think they even know its there.

Also, they have this UNSECURED grade server where you can see your grades from the net (it's not active now, only during school times). I am working on that right now... ;) j/k, of course

anyways, how's your high school security?

High school security was non existant.
Easily nuke computers sitting in the same room.
Watch someone blue screen while writing a report.
*evol*
College was bad too.
Government, oh HAHAHAH.
They were the worst. National laboratories have such weak security.
Its pitiful.

Insomnium

Aug 8, 2000
My High School security is pretty good actually. The Proxy server blocks access to certain types of sites depending on what subnet your coming from(The HS proxy also serves 5 elementary schools so filtering is different for all schools) We also run a bunch of secure servers but I've never tried to get down to see what security is really like. Oh, and almost every machine is locked down with Fortres 1.01 security, except my CCNA class so that blows because you don't have access to the hard drive and i've never actually tried cracking Fortres security myself.

Oh, and i should mention that I work as an IT guy with other friends for the school after classes so I have access to the file servers anyway with no need to try hacking from the outside :)

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
fortres... HA

just get a dos prompt... if you can't in windows, restart, stick a bootdisk in, delete forterss

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Well in highschool the T1 hadn't been hooked up yet and we didn't have a server....so no network there.

In college the servers are pretty secure (I do help maintain them hehe). Anyway the computers are completely unlocked. We've found most students are mature enough not to format the harddrives since they're just screwing themselves over. When we do have a problem we just ghost from the machine next to it. Ohhh waste my 2 minutes while I drink a soda. Its a shame I think that some people try to wreack havoc on their schools computer.

Insomnium

Aug 8, 2000
The thing is, i could hack the computers by putting in a boot disk (the boot sequence in all the bioses are changed and password locked but i know the password ..hehe) and screw stuff up ......but I'm the IT guy so what i screw up I'll end up having to fix ;) @ work so mind as well not mess with anything and give myself less work.

breakit23

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
We have novell to to get to explorer we just do windows key + f search for explorer.exe then do wahtever we want teacher doesnt even care we do this then open softdvd to play DVD's on the comps he watches with us heh.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
one time in HS, a friend of mine went to a site during Physics lab where it was a cartoon of Clinton taking a piss. He got detention for that.

joshdoe

Aug 6, 2000
n.e.t.w.o.r.k..s.e.c.u.r.i.t.y? what's that? :p There is none at my school. NO proxy server, no nothing. All the computers are part of several workgroups. You can go anywhere, do anything. And this is no small school, we've got about 1,100 students. I'm in the Vocation-Technical Center Networking Class, so I get even more. This network is the perfect target for those with malicious thoughts in their minds. :)