High School band wave Nazi Flag & plays Nazi anthem on Jewish Holiday at Staduim

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-1-2003 School Apologizes for Nazi Display by Band

The Paris, Texas, school district apologized Tuesday for a performance by one of its marching bands which played an Adolf Hitler anthem and waved a Nazi flag during a football halftime show.

It was performed at a Dallas high school Friday, which was also Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish new year and one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar.

The performance was greeted by heavy boos at the Hillcrest High School in Dallas, and several objects were hurled at the band.

The band will still perform the musical composition but it will only have the United States flag on display.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
read about this yesterday, first I was shocked but then not so, more shocked by the people objecting
"The performance is an attempt to factually portray the history of World War II, triumph of good over evil, and to honor our veterans for their sacrifices in ensuring freedom throughout the world," Grissom said in a statement. He added later that he made a major mistake in judgment.

The performance was greeted by heavy boos at the Hillcrest High School in Dallas, and several objects were hurled at the band.

The show included the flags of other nations fighting in World War II, such as France, Britain, the United States and Japan. The flags were waved twice as a musical selection from each country was played.

history = baad ... right

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Yeah, the whole article puts it in some perspective. And the thread title is pretty misleading. We need to be a little less quick to take offense

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ameesh
the problem was that it was on rosh hashanna

DALLAS (Reuters) - The Paris, Texas, school district apologized Tuesday for a performance by one of its marching bands which played an Adolf Hitler anthem and waved a Nazi flag during a football halftime show.
which is a coincidence, or so it seems

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dpm
Yeah, the whole article puts it in some perspective. And the thread title is pretty misleading. We need to be a little less quick to take offense

Did I say I took offense to it anywhere? I was mearly posting it as one of the unusual stories of late. In fact they weren't doing anything wrong, maybe a little tacky doing it such a Holiday but they risk it being some sort of a Holiday for anyone and any given day.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I bet there were no Jews in that band.

It's all perspective- I would have been offended by it, as I'm sure blacks are offended when they see the Union Jack flying over the SC capitol.

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Wag
I bet there were no Jews in that band.

It's all perspective- I would have been offended by it, as I'm sure blacks are offended when they see the Union Jack flying over the SC capitol.

Just 411, the rednecks here lost that battle with the Confederate flag several years ago... Its no longer atop the state house. The Union Jack is the British flag isn't it?

PS WTF was that band leader thinking?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sorry just have to do this, the whole article, first post text bolded
DALLAS (Reuters) - The Paris, Texas, school district apologized Tuesday for a performance by one of its marching bands which played an Adolf Hitler anthem and waved a Nazi flag during a football halftime show.

Band director Charles Grissom said the song and flag were part of a musical performance called "Visions of World War II." It was performed at a Dallas high school Friday, which was also Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish new year and one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar.

"The performance is an attempt to factually portray the history of World War II, triumph of good over evil, and to honor our veterans for their sacrifices in ensuring freedom throughout the world," Grissom said in a statement. He added later that he made a major mistake in judgment.

The show included the flags of other nations fighting in World War II, such as France, Britain, the United States and Japan. The flags were waved twice as a musical selection from each country was played.

The Paris school district issued an apology to Hillcrest High and to the Dallas school district, said Paul Trull, the superintendent of Paris schools.

"We regret there was a misunderstanding. We strive to be sensitive to the feelings of others and are always willing to amend our actions when we fall short," Trull said.

The band will still perform the musical composition but it will only have the United States flag on display, he said.

Paris, Texas is located about 100 miles northeast of Dallas.

almost two different stories rolled into one, people read the whole article before you have a fit

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
they could have just used a normal german flag and played some music, right?
i mean, im not into this ignore the nazis thing like some people, but we can show a little tact on a holiday or at public events...its just absurd that anyone would sit down and plan this without once thinking "hey, this might be a bad idea"...didnt this band practice at all?!?!

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
My question is how the heck did the band/band leader find a nazi flag? Oh look, here are some flags in the band room closet. Looks dust them off and wave them around. I mean these people would have to had been actively searching for the various flags. Not very smart, IMO

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Union Jack is the British flag, yes, so I'm sure Wag was referring to the Confederate flag.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: LocutusX
Union Jack is the British flag, yes, so I'm sure Wag was referring to the Confederate flag.

Which is usually called the stars and bars.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
He, he, I used to live about 40 miles from Paris, TX, I'd bet money there were no Jewish members of the band or the football team, and they could have bought the falg @ a local "trade days", there are a lot of red necks in the area & white supremecists, along with meth labs, etc...

I'm sure there was honestly no offense intended, but the flag & music sure didn't play well in the metro area

:eek:

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Ooop- sorry. I keep thinking of the General Lee when I think of the Confederate flag. Lol.

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
O0o0o0o0 The NAZI flag gets "special notoriety". I bet the Japanese flag was the rising sun one, with red bars emanating from the sun. Used by Imperial Japan during WWII, and still adorning things all over to this day. I wonder how people raped in Nanking, or Allied POWs treated like animals at the hands of said empire, think of that flag?

Zephyr