High max VDDC @ stock

GiN

Dec 13, 2007
I apologize if this has already been covered, but I've recently purchased the HIS 7870 from newegg, jumped on the deal @ $220. I've been tinkering with the card, minor OC and ran a few benchmarks, and noticed that my max vddc reading during 3dmark11 to be really high ~1.66v (see below). I get roughly the same numbers even at stock. Is this normal? I've read that ~1.2v should be the max. When idle, it's nicely cool at ~.825v

Max under load 3dmark11

Idle

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Don't trust the readings from GPU-Z, it's been shown quite a few times to be way off. I use Afterburner to show target voltages, i.e. what you're setting the voltage at, and I use HWiNFO64 to show actual voltage, i.e. voltage under load, after Vdroop.

GiN

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the readings could be off, but would like to gain some assurance that it's not my card. I've review the logs and the spikes happens every few minutes when I was playing borderlands. Just thought that it's strange since I've never altered the voltage of the gpu

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah, what zaydq said. GPU-Z never gives me any correct voltage/current readings. Temperature, clock speed, and memory usage readings are usually accurate.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Your temps would not be 41c @ 1.6v, I doubt very good watercooling would even pull that off. Also that much V alone would probably kill it, not to mention the VRMs [unless watercooled] would pop due to to much heat. Afterburner is a good program for Volts and GPU temp, but aida64 is also good, especially since it shows your VRM temps aswell.