High Deductible Health Plans, HSA, Temp Med, and Medical packages

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
BREATHE MAN BREATHE..you have me all stressed out now.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Based on this.

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

On the bottom

"Your individual or group health plan coverage year is ending in the middle of the calendar year and you choose not to renew it."

So based on this that should work.

Otherwise I have rental property. I just would use that "I moved"

There's always a way around everything. I'm creative at finding ways.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
Short term policies don't qualify as individual or group health coverage so losing a short term policy doesn't count as losing coverage mid term.

I'm also creative at finding ways; that was my job when I was writing state level Healthcare legislation around the ACA. I can tell you that this kind of adverse selection was anticipated and specifically planned against.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Not following you here. Our HDHP plan is actually on the lower end of plans offered by my employer. If you're referring to the plan comparison tool with the different scenarios, I must not have explained it very well. Basically you could put your expected, worst-case, or optimal medical bills in for the coming year and figure out which plan would cost you the least. I was doing the opposite of what every insurance company wants which is to go for the highest cost plan for the peace of mind.
I think his point is that he doesn't want to pay for insurance period, because he thinks he's invincible and has no need of it.

Reactions: Elfear

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You sound like you are willing to pay for insurance for the peace of mind. Regardless if the statistics for those events are low.

You are why insurance companies are rich as fuck.

Before I leave my insurance plan I'm going to do everything I can under them to rape the fuck out (out of spite). Before I move elsewhere.
Heh, good luck with that. I'm curious to hear how it goes. How much of your own money are you willing to spend on this endeavor?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I think his point is that he doesn't want to pay for insurance period, because he thinks he's invincible and has no need of it.

Tracking now. In absolute terms, I guess he's correct. The cheapest option for him is ditching insurance and then not going to the doctor/hospital if health issues start cropping up. :)

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You sound like you are willing to pay for insurance for the peace of mind. Regardless if the statistics for those events are low.

Well, that pretty much sums up the purpose of all insurance: to protect you from unlikely events that would otherwise be financially devastating. If you are in a position where you are confident you can cover your family's medical expenses should one of you encounter serious medical issues then it seems reasonable to forego medical insurance. If you are not then IMHO meaningful medical insurance is worthwhile.

And if you truly believe that insurance companies are "rich as ***" then you should buy their stocks. :p

Nov 20, 2009
I think it is probably easier to have fony insurance along with fony identification to just use that fony set for catastrophic needs and then screw the man.