"High capacity magainze ban" - a PSA for who they harm

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Law abiding citizens trying to defend themselves. Bad guys rarely break in alone and under stress most of your shots aren't going to be effectively on target. Video does a great job of pounding that home with a very likely scenario. Do the math.

4 bad guys, you'll need 3-4 quality shots center mass to stop each of them. That means you need 12-16 shots, on target and good hits. You're going to miss at least 50% of your shots, and that's being generous you're likely to miss more than that.

That means 32 rounds is the minimum you should have ready to fire. Makes the AR-15 a perfect defense weapon. 7 rounds isn't enough, 10 rounds isn't enough, 20 isn't enough for home defense. It's a game of numbers, and magazine bans tilt the benefit to criminals who rarely break in alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1nPSNnaBo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Spidey advocates "point and spray?"

I thought you folks on the "no gun laws" side said that "gun control was hitting what you aimed at?"

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

I thought you folks on the "no gun laws" side said that "gun control was hitting what you aimed at?"
Even trained professionals in a high-stress situation don't have anything close to a 100% hit rate. Probably closer to 10-20%, unless you're point blank.

Your average Joe housedad isn't anything close to a trained professional.

I think you watch too many movies.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Even trained professionals in a high-stress situation don't have anything close to a 100% hit rate. Probably closer to 10-20%, unless you're point blank.

You watch too many movies.

Nope...having spent some time in actual combat conditions...where real people are shooting real guns trying to kill me...I KNOW that you don't always hit with every round...and when the adrenaline kicks in...your aim often goes to shit quickly.
However, neither do I advocate using a 30 round magazine for home defense.

"When all else fails, empty the magazine" is fine in some situations...home defense, especially in a neighborhood isn't one of them.
Remember, those rounds that don't end up in the body of your attacker don't stop at the walls of your house...or the perimeter of your property.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Yep. It's proven that under stress...oh like shooting at somebody moving that just broke in...you're going to miss more than you hit.

Look at police where they have to shoot - most shots miss.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Nope...having spent some time in actual combat conditions...where real people are shooting real guns trying to kill me...I KNOW that you don't always hit with every round...and when the adrenaline kicks in...your aim often goes to shit quickly.

"When all else fails, empty the magazine" is fine in some situations...home defense, especially in a neighborhood isn't one of them.
Remember, those rounds that don't end up in the body of your attacker don't stop at the walls of your house...or the perimeter of your property.

If you watch the video he did empty the magazine.

Look where that got the father, his wife and their daughters. Dead.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So why 4 bad guys unless its just to get the outcome you want. Why not 8? Why not 16?

Let's make it 16 that way a machine gun will be required to stop them all. Let's get that legislation going to legalize fully automatic weapons.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So why 4 bad guys unless its just to get the outcome you want. Why not 8? Why not 16?

Let's make it 16 that way a machine gun will be required to stop them all. Let's get that legislation going to legalize fully automatic weapons.

Then use 2. Game of numbers still based on factual data on how many on target shots it will take to disable a threat and how many you'll actually make.

Also, a machine gun would be worthless for home defense as aiming properly is near impossible.

I have now thoroughly demolished your straw man with facts.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

For the record I advocate "aim center mass and pull trigger as fast as you can until no longer a threat." That's what I train for.

If your life depends on it, aim and squeeze as fast as you can while keeping muzzle on target. Training helps a lot here.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Would you be willing to sacrifice your own child in order to not potentially put someone else at possible risk that may or may not be life threatening?

I honestly don't know the answer myself but while I would be devastated living with killing or hurting some innocent bystander I would be far more devastated losing my child when I could have possibly prevented it.

Jun 26, 2007

Nah, he keeps his gun ready on the nightstand fully loaded, one in when he's in the house, once he's out he just leaves it there because if a thief should steal it...

Well hoooopeti dooopeti waaaah, it's another illegal gun.

OR he can make it an illegal gun by just buying it and filing off the serial number, whoever he shoots will be shot with an illegal firearm,.

Seriously, you look at the statistics of illegal firearms and you know this and suddenly you're fucking retarded as a nation?

94% of the illegal guns used were once bought legally. Anyone can buy them and even in volume, want 50, yay... want a dremel too? It's in demand so we now provide one.

Jun 26, 2007
Would you be willing to sacrifice your own child.

Either you are not a father or not a good one, the answer is yes, whatever the scenario you conjure up, it's yes.

However in nations where this isn't common practice (if you count daily events, it's common practice in two nations in the world, the US and Iraq) we don't care for them, the perps don't have guns and in my house i am king, i know where everything is.

So if a man should be so lucky to escape my house, i'd hunt him, i'd kill him and i'd bury him...

That sin't very English of me but i'm only English by location.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
either you are not a father or not a good one, the answer is yes, whatever the scenario you conjure up, it's yes.

However in nations where this isn't common practice (if you count daily events, it's common practice in two nations in the world, the us and iraq) we don't care for them, the perps don't have guns and in my house i am king, i know where everything is.

So if a man should be so lucky to escape my house, i'd hunt him, i'd kill him and i'd bury him...

That sin't very english of me but i'm only english by location.

hahahahahahahahaha!

Jun 26, 2007
hahahahahahahahaha!

I like that, i had to go against everything i've been taught to get to that conclusion and justify it and you laugh.

I suppose this sheit happens to the retarded ugly fucks around here daily and that is why you need a gun, right?

Fuck you and the lot of you, you never gave a fuck about the original intent of the amendment, you use Switzerland as an example even though they have to have the active parts locked up and you are just fucking dishonest little twats.

The truth is, even with a gun and i have none i will make sure you're dead before me anyway, i have everything to lose and you can ask any solier what a man in that position does.

I'd kill you regardless of your weaponry and my lack of it, you would never have a chance.

Bonus, steal my guns and they are suddenly illegal guns... not counted among the legal guns used for killing people.

Anyone who don't get that legal guns are the butter and bread of all illegal gun salesmen in the US are fucking retarded people.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I like that, i had to go against everything i've been taught to get to that conclusion and justify it and you laugh.

I suppose this sheit happens to the retarded ugly fucks around here daily and that is why you need a gun, right?

Fuck you and the lot of you, you never gave a fuck about the original intent of the amendment, you use Switzerland as an example even though they have to have the active parts locked up and you are just fucking dishonest little twats.

The truth is, even with a gun and i have none i will make sure you're dead before me anyway, i have everything to lose and you can ask any solier what a man in that position does.

I'd kill you regardless of your weaponry and my lack of it, you would never have a chance.

Bonus, steal my guns and they are suddenly illegal guns... not counted among the legal guns used for killing people.

Anyone who don't get that legal guns are the butter and bread of all illegal gun salesmen in the US are fucking retarded people.

No, you wouldn't. You're an angry internet baddass who brags about how he'd illegally hunt down someone and kill an armed assailant with his bare hands; and the only reason you make such statements is you know you'll never have to back them up. It's like a kid who imitates Power Rangers to impress his friends, and is quite lol worthy coming from a... well let's say you're past puberty. Not sure if I'd call you an "adult" yet.

So the guns sitting in my safe right now are the bread and butter of illegal gun salesmen?

Brits have universal healthcare right? So proud of it you featured it, complete with its acronym, in your Olympic opening ceremonies, right? A psychologist. See one. Your taxes are paying for it anyway.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

10-20% actually sounds about right to me. I am a really good shot, believe me, but I don't kid myself. Its 2am and I hear a noise so I get up to check it out. I surprise 2 or 3 burglars snooping around in the kitchen and as soon as they see me CHAOS unfolds.
They start running around like fucking absolute crazy, almost running into each other since there isn't really anywhere to go, then I start shooting at 3 spazzy, fast moving panic-tards in my house. So with me afraid for my life and my family's lives and shooting in the dark, that makes 4 panic tards. Basically, if they are armed at all, i'm fucked. So I think the best weapon for home defense, against 3 intruders in the dark, would have to be an M249 Saw. Fuck you if you ain't got one.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

If only homeowners could set up booby traps that would slow down the 16 home invaders.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Because Spidey is into some shit that he's not telling us about. Because of that shit he's not telling us about, the people he crossed are going to send 4+ guys armed with full combat loads plus a few grenades each to take him out. In that case he brought it upon himself.

If he's actually not into some illicit shit he's just making up situations to "show" that you do indeed need 30 round mags for pistols and 40+ round mags for rifles...

You're an angry internet baddass

If JohnOfSheffield is that then so is Spidey

Last edited:

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
Lol at the OP. So movies are what gun nuts have to use now to justify their irrational agenda? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Show me the FACTS about break-ins, then you might actually have a SHRED of credibility. Right now you're nothing but a silly gun nutter :D

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Lol at the OP. So movies are what gun nuts have to use now to justify their irrational agenda? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Show me the FACTS about break-ins, then you might actually have a SHRED of credibility. Right now you're nothing but a silly gun nutter :D

I'm pretty sure gun control advocates are more guilty of using movies to justify their views. Hell the reason they want to ban pistol grips is because they watched Rambo and actually thinkfiring from the hip is more deadly than aimed shots. Oh and they also think a pistol grip makes it impossible to fire from the hip for some reason.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

There was a small incident in Boston that you may have heard about, where thousands of police officers were pitted against one person. They evidently felt the need for "high capacity" magazines even though they outnumbered him at least 1000:1.

Why can't I have high capacity magazines when the match up, at best, will be 1:1?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
There was a small incident in Boston that you may have heard about, where thousands of police officers were pitted against one person. They evidently felt the need for "high capacity" magazines even though they outnumbered him at least 1000:1.

Why can't I have high capacity magazines when the match up, at best, will be 1:1?

The match up "will be" 1 on 1? So you can see into the future now, too? :D

If you can't beat back a thief on your home turf with a shotgun and a premium security system, that tells me a) you are a titanic idiot, or b) you have no idea how to use a gun.