Question High air-flow design for cheap (under $50) from DIYPC @ Newegg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
11-353-201-01.jpg

DIYPC DIY-A9-W White USB3.0 Steel /Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, 1 x 120mm White Fan x Rear (Pre-Installed)

Just saw this chassis. Seems like a no-brainer, if you are a fan of high air-flow.

Front is almost total mesh. Top has filtered magnetic dust filter mesh top.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
11-353-201-01.jpg

DIYPC DIY-A9-W White USB3.0 Steel /Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, 1 x 120mm White Fan x Rear (Pre-Installed)

Just saw this chassis. Seems like a no-brainer, if you are a fan of high air-flow.

Front is almost total mesh. Top has filtered magnetic dust filter mesh top.
Nice -- in some simple respects. The front panel fan-holes -- would they be 180mm or 200mm?

I have some CM HAF 922s. I have sort of lost my enthusiasm for 200mm fans, which initially attracted me for higher CFM with lower RPMs and dBs.

The glass side-panel feature is common to a lot of the newest cases, but eliminates ventilation and fan-mount options I might want. Also, this case-design seems to follow storage-device trends, so there isn't much in the way of drive bays.

My basic premise here is that high-airflow is great, but lesser through-case airflow can be fine if the internal airflow is directed through narrower apertures at targeted hot components.

Some of the customer-reviews seemed directed at aspects I mentioned. Supposedly the motherboard standoffs were unsatisfactory. The motherboard pan has some possibilities, for venting the bottom CPU area of the mobo, but there are no vents in the right side-panel.

I guess the drawback of 200mm fans is their low static pressure. You can have a perfectly quiet system with equal or higher airflow using 140mm fans, or so I imagine.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
it looks like a pretty solid case for 41 dollars...
something i think id definitely use for a budget build.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I can see that, too. I just don't like doing sheet-metal work anymore.

im lost in what sheet metal work you would need done on this case.
Its basically a open version of a NZXT H440 from what i can tell internally, except your getting it really gutted without filters.

I don't know if that top filter is even removable, but it seems to have no front filter.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
im lost in what sheet metal work you would need done on this case.
Its basically a open version of a NZXT H440 from what i can tell internally, except your getting it really gutted without filters.

I don't know if that top filter is even removable, but it seems to have no front filter.
Mainstreamers wouldn't think of it. Now that I look again, I could see modding the right side panel. The motherboard pan is vented under the CPU/VRM area.

I'm usually not daunted by the filter problem, and I make my own. You can get the screen material at Performance PC's or Cooler Guys, build frames for them out of laminated foam-board, and use magnetic tape on the foam-frame and case-metal for easy mounting and removal. The only problem I've had with magnetic tape is its adhesive, so you might use a couple dabs of Automotive Pit-Stop adhesive or Locktite equivalent.