Hibiscus tea, doesn't contain tea?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I thought tea meant, you know, actual tea leaves.

It soothes my brain inflamation / infection when I drink tea, but I'm not feeling the relief with this hibiscus "tea". I feel ripped off.

If there's no tea leaves, what is there to brew and call tea?

EDit: There's a George Carlin bit in there, waiting to be discovered. George, why did you leave us so soon?!?

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I always thought that qualifiers like Hibiscus or whatever should be universally (US) used. At the very least "herbal." And I can't say for sure, but I think that concern is widely shared and so that's the sort of thing you normally see.

They probably slack off a bit in health food stores I would guess.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't have strong feelings about it. Most products are sufficiently labeled for my taste. Anything that says "herb(al) tea" will not have any part of Camellia sinensis in it. It can be assumed it's a blend of one or more other plants. "flavor" tea, is generally a flavored version(peach, whatever) in a Camellia sinensis base.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
91ijtoPXZZL._SL1500_.jpg

A suggestion. ;)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is the only herbal bottled tea remaining in the marketplace after the pandemic. I can't drink anything with caffeine, so this is great to have.

Maybe that's part of the problem too. No tea leaves, no caffeine, which has an analgesic affect on my "brain pain".

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hmm, 25gs of sugar in bottle based on one of the review images.

Coke certainly deviated from Honest Tea's original intentions and basically made another insulin-release product.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, 25gs of sugar in bottle based on one of the review images.

Coke certainly deviated from Honest Tea's original intentions and basically made another insulin-release product.
Yep. And the sugar and lack of actual tea leaves makes my inflammation worse.
But like the Amazon.com review said, "it's the only (pre-bottled) "tea" on the market without caffeine.".

Jul 27, 2020
It soothes my brain inflamation / infection when I drink tea, but I'm not feeling the relief with this hibiscus "tea". I feel ripped off.
This is a suggestion you may want to follow if you are really serious about easing your brain issue:

Eat Avocado for five days straight. You may also use extra virgin olive oil or pure butter. And only one boiled egg per day. You can't eat anything else. Drink ample amounts of water. Unsweetened tea or coffee is also fine.

Let us know how you feel on the third day and if you wish to continue doing it till day 5.

Jul 27, 2020
To be honest, you got yourself ripped off by not researching first. That is just "hibiscus flavored" tea. It has maybe what, less than 5% actual Hibiscus?

These herbs have their uses. I've had real Hibiscus tea. It's not easy to drink. I find it easier to drink grapefruit juice than Hibiscus tea. The sensation is too strong for my taste buds.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I thought this had actually been a legal case? Is the OP from the tea industry? My recollection is there was a legal ruling that meant what had previously been marketed as "fruit tea" had to be re-branded as "fruit infusions", because it's not strictly "tea". Seemed like pedantic nonsense to me, but the tea-retailers thought otherwise.

Perhaps that was an EU-only ruling?

I'm still puzzled by "Yorkshire tea". I didn't think Yorkshire had a suitable climate for growing tea. Still less that it was possible to turn Yorkshire itself into drinkable form.

e.g.

Googling it I can find no trace of such a legal case, so maybe it's a weird false memory? I could have sworn I remember tea companies complaining about the terminology, much as dairy companies complain about the use of 'milk' to describe things made from soy or almonds.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's a tea blend using African and Indian tea leaves. So just a brand or name given to the blend. Possibly nothing to do with Yorkshire.

I know, it was a joke, though the name (as with "English breakfast tea") seems like an obvious hangover from the Imperial mentality of 'everything yours is now ours'.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski