Hi all - me's back...

The Borg

Apr 9, 2006
Hi all,

Been out of the forums for a while. Been needing to take a bit of care of myself. Still been crunching, but not wanting to get too involved with human communication.

Anyway, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64) - schweet. Been having problems with nVidia drivers and stuff. Finally nailed some of my problems to the nVidia driver (not the fan issue) but updated to the latest version and some of my GPU crunching issues have gone.

I crunch Aqua and GPUGRID. Both been very nice. Aqua unfortunately has the habit of using ALL my cpu resources, so I get 8 core WU's. Not a majot problem, except that the recent GPUGRID WU's require 0.27 CPU amounts. I have 2 x GTX295's, so that is 4 cores, wihc adds up to more than one CPU core, so AQUA used to stop - this was under Vista 64

I have been trying for the last few days to get all 4 GPU cores to run. Not as easy as in Vista. Finally made up some dummy VGA adapters and now Win 7 'sees' 4 desktops.

Now the problem. I can only have 3 GPUGRID wu's running. Once the 4th one downloads (and they are large files!!!), if errors out within a few seconds. I even halted the CPU crunching to rule that out.

I have tried crunching the SETI GPU suff but that had the 'audasity' to tell me waiting for GPU memory - man, each core has 896 meg available.

BOINC reports 4 GPU cores. It tries to run 4 WU's, but bombs out. And when I did manage to get 4 running, I cannot crunch 8 core Aqua WU's.

Any ideas?

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Welcome back, Perry!

I don't use anything modern, so I can't help with the GPU issues.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi The Borg, welcome back :)

Afraid I can't help you either, only done a little folding on my 4830, nothing on BOINC yet. Hopefully the next person can help ;).

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
one of your gpus might have a problem... I'm having that issue with one of my 4850s... it used to be fine with either milkyway or collatz... now it just errors out on collatz but is fine for milkyway.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I have one GTX295 and I'm disappointed with it.

On Win7 (64 bit) it runs milkyway very nicely though. On GPU grid I'm getting computation errors these days.:(

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
how does it do on milkyway?

By "running nicely", I meant it doesn't use much cpu, it doesn't affect the graphics speed while I'm working on the computer and it doesn't bork WUs.

As far as ppd, it does about 45-50 K, while one of my 4870s will do 80K on milkyway.

On the linux side on GPUgrid it will do 40-50K per day but it uses 100% of 2 cpu cores.

All in all, a big disappointment for the $350 I paid for it.

Oh, on top of everything else, it draws a ton of power!!! :biggrin: