'Hey, My PC is slow can you check it for me?'

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
To PC gods here. What is the first thing you check on the PC when someone ask you that question? What do you check exactly? I'm pretty sure everyone here experience someone saying that to you lol. The scary part is that some people actually pay for this? I'm pretty sure you can check yourself no? My friend actually ask me this but I said sure I check tomoz but what do I check exactly? Anything I should be looking out for? Anyone care to help? I really appreciate it :D

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
#1: Task manager, to see if something is abusing the CPU.

I'm not sure what #2 would be for me. CPU overheating maybe? Hard drive space/SMART report?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Usually I check what's running in task manager, to see if there's anything using an unusual amount of CPU or memory. If nothing shows there, it gets harder to diagnose as it could be a hardware issue or malware/viruses.

If it's an older computer with a hard drive, the usual suspect for me is hard drive wear or slowly failing drive with bad sectors. Usually I'll run a bootable drive scanning utility (I forget what's on UBCD... also need to get me a copy of SpinRite) and check the health of the drive. Replacing an old drive is the easiest solution if it's a failing drive. If it's an SSD, I look to see if the CPU is throttling because of heat (check temps using HWMonitor and/or Core Temp). Running a stress test (but not necessarily a "torture test") using a benchmarking tool like Aida64 while monitoring the temps is a good way to initially rule out thermal throttling.

If it's running hot - you can look up what's "normal" for your particular CPU - usually you don't want over 70C to 85C* as an upper limit, depending on whether it's AMD or Intel, but there's various opinions on what's okay for the long term reliability of a chip. Obviously the colder the better. The processor will normally trigger a shutdown of the computer if the temperature is running too hot even after throttling. Cheapest fix for a PC that is throttling is to clean out the case and fans with compressed air, if dust is the culprit. Desktop computers can suck in a ton of dust, practically acting as air filters. It can get nasty in there.

Sometimes a slow PC is the result of Windows getting bogged down (that's the technical term :D) by a lot of running software and bloat - more common with older versions of Windows and PCs - and not necessarily a specific program. In that case, a quick wipe/reformat and reinstall of the OS does the trick. I still shudder recalling the amount of defragmentation I had to do on old hard drives in the Windows 95/98 days. :p You can also try one of the reset or refresh options in recovery if it's a new-ish version of Windows. Clean Windows is happy Windows.

If none of the above works, it's time to start ruling out other individual components and issues. Bad drivers, corrupted OS (though you'll get other errors and not just slowdowns if that's the case), poorly optimized services/software running in the background, etc. On the hardware side, you have to look at video card temps if the slowdowns is in gaming or other GPU intensive programs, possibly check for firmware updates for the motherboard if there's a known issue causing the mobo to be flaky... there are a ton of potential causes, but usually other than thermal throttling, a PC won't only slow down if there's hardware failing, you'll get blue screens of death and other symptomatic errors. Googling the manufacturer or model of the PC and specific parts will often turn up forums like this where you can see if other users have experienced similar issues for problematic parts. Oftentimes certain models of PCs - and especially laptops, in regards to heat dissipation - are just poorly designed or have faulty parts with bizarre issues that would be hard to isolate yourself.

There are a lot of other diagnostics tools and steps I'm leaving out, but the main thing is you want someone who is good at this to look at the computer, if possible, because fixing computers can be a royal pain in the butt. It doesn't hurt to try and narrow down what the issue is yourself, though, even if you aren't a computer person. Just don't use any of those magic programs that claim to fix your pc with a simple click. Those often can be placebo apps at best and malware at worst.

One other possibility if nothing appears to be wrong - and especially if the slowdown was over time and/or after major software upgrades and installs - is just insufficient hardware to handle whatever load the user is putting on it. Adding/upgrading the RAM, putting the OS on an SSD, or just buying a new, higher spec computer is often the least hassle, even if it's not the cheapest.

* sensors can fail or be inaccurate, so there's another potential issue to rule out :( Luckily that's usually not the primary issue.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1. Malwarebytes because it's usually that; reset the HOSTS file & proxy if needed
2. Antivirus scan
3. HDtune trial to check for bad drive
4. Windows updates
5. msconfig to check startup items & check the system's startup folder
6. Go into Add/Remove Programs to see if there's any strange apps, toolbars, etc.
7. Check Task Manager for weird processes if it's still goofy after that
8. Spray out the PC case (or laptop fans) for dust removal in case of overheating
9. Recommend a fresh windows install (especially if they have the factory discs handy) & an SSD upgrade, because that combination usually results in a 2x faster computer
10. Tell them to buy a Chromebook instead (srs)

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
The first thing I do is say "No, call tech support, this kind of thing is what we pay them for."

Since it's a friend though, I'd ask if they've got anti-malware and if they see anything weird in task manager. At that point they usually drop it since they just want me to fix it with magic, not put in any effort, but if they don't then we go from there.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Also, if it's someone I know or kinda-know:

1. Use Macrium to back up their boot drive
2. Do a fresh Windows install, plus drivers, updates, and software, and at least put Windows Defender & Chrome on there
3. Use Macrium to back it up again as a master system image (to restore later if needed)
4. Copy the Macrium backup from #1 to the desktop, copy their files back (desktop/my docs/photos/etc.), do a virus-scan on those files
5. Optionally setup a link to Google Drive to backup their stuff, or install Backblaze or whatever, since no one ever backs stuff up

That way, 3 months later when they've broken their computer again, I just save time & just restore the master image (and hopefully drop their files back from cloud backup). A lot of times, a full re-install is quicker than actually having to fix the computer.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Thank you! I didn't expect you guys to tell me in steps!!!! I really appreciate it! I will act brainy tommorow and show my friend how its done like a pro! :joycat:

Reactions: Crono

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
#1 is task manager for me too. #2 is disk space since Windows needs at least 10 GB free to work well. #3 virus and malware scans.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
first thing I always do is check the specs of the PC so I know what I am dealing with and what I can expect from it.

next on my list is to check temps, cpu load and scan for spyware/viruses.

use disccleaner or ccleaner to get rid of excess crap.

check for dust buildup.

if after all that the system still doesn't feel better then either a fresh install or have them buy an ssd and then a fresh install.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
These days I tell them to call a computer repair shop.

I used to do the whole "yeah I fix computers, I have a Mac - do you have a Mac?" hahaha

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Make sure to grab all their nude selfies for um..research. Those things are terrible with malware! :D

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I used to check msconfig and my processes for shit I can turn off. Don't care as much no more.

I check processes, look for weird shit, then google it to see if it's essential then consider doing something. What's helped the most has been me looking for the custom install option and/or not installing things.

Feb 4, 2009
As said task manager, look for something suspicious, malware scan.
I do like a fresh install of windows every 2 years or so.
Do you have an ssd hard drive? I highly recommend one to speed things up if its something you can work into your budget

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The problem is once you help them, they expect it again and again. And it will happen again, because they're often the ones responsible for the problems. And really, this stuff can take many hours to troubleshoot, or even days. So, I generally don't do it anymore. I have enough of this crap in my own household - 3 Windows PCs and 3 Macs. In fact, I'm backing up my OS X 10.11 iMac right now, in preparation for the update to macOS Sierra.

Furthermore, I don't want to be blamed for important files they may lose or may have already lost because of their own mistakes.

I even turned down my father-in-law's request recently. It didn't go over so well, but I had some pseudo-legit excuses. I'm 90% sure his setup is full of malware, so I probably saved myself half a day's work.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The problem is once you help them, they expect it again and again. And it will happen again, because they're often the ones responsible for the problems. And really, this stuff can take many hours to troubleshoot, or even days. So, I generally don't do it anymore. I have enough of this crap in my own household - 3 Windows PCs and 3 Macs. In fact, I'm backing up my OS X 10.11 iMac right now, in preparation for the update to macOS Sierra.

Furthermore, I don't want to be blamed for important files they may lose or may have already lost because of their own mistakes.

I even turned out my father-in-law's request recently. It didn't go over so well, but I had some pseudo-legit excuses. I'm 90% sure his setup is full of malware, so I probably saved myself half a day's work.

My wife unwittingly made the mistake several years ago of telling her friend I would fix her computer for money, thinking it'd be nice to have some extra spending money for a bit of side work. My personal rule is that if it's family, friends, or acquaintances, I don't take money for it. The reason being is exactly what you said...people think they own you once they've paid you once. I think that job netted me a $150 Amazon gift card...and turned into 3 calls a week for months. Finally talked her into getting a Mac to save myself the hassle lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Use a ball-peen hammer... "Hey, you're PC isn't slow, it's just broken... time to buy a new one!"

/s

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I never take money for it... which is even more reason not to do it. :neutral:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just tell them to format and reinstall fresh.

I will basically go through checking everything for hours, never being all that sure of the real culprit, all the while finding tons of bloatware and spyware that can never be deleted. So, just starting with the format saves everyone time and tears.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I never take money for it... which is even more reason not to do it. :neutral:

It's funny because I do computers & she does photography, which are both like the Napster of jobs. Why pay someone (or pay someone well) for something "anyone" can do? One of the reasons I went from freelance back to a corporate job was just to get away from all that, but she still does a lot of freelance photography & has set rates to filter freeloaders & lowballers out.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I just tell them to format and reinstall fresh.

I will basically go through checking everything for hours, never being all that sure of the real culprit, all the while finding tons of bloatware and spyware that can never be deleted. So, just starting with the format saves everyone time and tears.
Geek squad charges I believe $190 CAD for this type of work. Let's pick a hourly wage which is half that of a car mechanic's for labour, so about $50 per hour. So that means about 4 hours worth of work. Well, that's about how long it would take me to go through everything. I'm sure an expert like Kaido could do it way faster, but I don't do it for a living so it takes me longer. So, no thanks.

Would they consider it reasonable to call a friend over to cut the lawn six times? Cuz this is pretty much similar.

I did call my nephew over to help cart stuff into the garden with a wheelbarrow. But... I paid him $30 an hour, and then fed him afterwards.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Geek squad charges I believe $190 CAD for this type of work. Let's pick a hourly wage which is half that of a car mechanic's for labour, so about $50 per hour. So that means about 4 hours worth of work. Well, that's about how long it would take me to go through everything. No thanks.

Would they consider it reasonable to call a friend over to cut the lawn six times? Cuz this is pretty much similar.

Yeah, the numbers rarely make sense. That's a good comparison too, mowing lawns haha. If I do help someone out, I usually request food...I'll swing by if you cook me dinner or bake me cookies :grinning:

I do have a soft spot for people who are willing to listen to & follow my advice, however. Which is almost nobody, in practice. Typically anything made within like the last five years is pretty decent & can be sped up with just an SSD boot drive swapped in, and they can auto-save all their files to Backblaze. If they're willing to spring for an SSD & a good backup system, I'm usually willing to help them out because it means I can create a master image of their system if they get goofed up again, they'll see a big performance boost from the SSD, and if they do get nuked, all their stuff is in the cloud, ready for download again, and they don't have to remember to manually back it up or plug in a USB backup drive or whatever. But a surprising number of people just go buy a replacement computer with the same slow HDD & pre-loaded bloatware & wonder why they don't get good results, which is why I typically just recommend buying a Chromebook as a replacement & moving all of their stuff into Google Drive if it'll fit.