Hey morans, the VP does not have a job description

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Corbett

Wow Harvey, I was referring to this :

Look Colmes and all you other morons that go on and on about Palin not knowing what her job as VP is, you are the actual idiots. THE VP DOES NOT HAVE A JOB DESCRIPTION. He/she does whatever the POTUS says they do. If the president tells them they don't do anything more than break a tie in the senate and knit, that's what they do.

VP's only job, as defined by the constitution, is to preside over the senate and vote in the event of a tie. Oh and become the POTUS if he/she croaks.

Distraction in 3.....2.....1.....

Yeah, I noticed that. That's where he completely contradicted the title of his own thread. :laugh:

Get a brain, Harvey! :laugh:

I think Harvey's and others' sarcasm meters are broken.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JD50
He spelled moron like that on purpose you dolts.

You misspelled duhlts. :roll:

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett

Wow Harvey, I was referring to this :

Look Colmes and all you other morons that go on and on about Palin not knowing what her job as VP is, you are the actual idiots. THE VP DOES NOT HAVE A JOB DESCRIPTION. He/she does whatever the POTUS says they do. If the president tells them they don't do anything more than break a tie in the senate and knit, that's what they do.

VP's only job, as defined by the constitution, is to preside over the senate and vote in the event of a tie. Oh and become the POTUS if he/she croaks.

Distraction in 3.....2.....1.....

Yeah, I noticed that. That's where he completely contradicted the title of his own thread. :laugh:

Originally posted by: XMan

Desepertion? What's that, a medical condition?

Ah. Thanks for noting the typo. I fixed it.

LOL! Those in glass houses.....

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Being VP isn't like applying for an office temp job, nobody hands you a job description. The fact that Palin said she didn't know what the VP did is NOT the same thing as saying the VP has no job description, it's saying SHE has no idea what she'd do with the job if she got it.

I agree with ZeroIQ that there is no set in stone job description, but that's the whole freaking point...Palin should be providing her own, not expecting one to be handed to her and acting confused when that doesn't happen.

WRONG. POTUS sets the VP's job description.

Her answer has been, more or less, preside over the senate and she is being attacked over it.

So the VP should be a lapdog that brings nothing at all to the table in terms of ideas or plans for the future?

At least now I understand why you guys think Palin would be a good VP...

Colmes was going off about how Palin hasn't said what she would do as VP... but it's not her job set her job description, well... it is if the pres says she can. SO yes, the VP is a lapdog and was created to have very minimal power, unless decided otherwise by the POTUS.

That's great, except for the fact that the VP might some day have to sit in the big chair...and I'd feel better knowing the person filling that role wasn't just chosen to sit around and get coffee for the President. Even if it's not her job to lead, it's her job to be ready, and part of that means having SOME idea of what you want to accomplish in the White House, even if you don't have absolute power to do so.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You think you can score points by editing the link into your OP ten minutes after I posted my reply? :roll:

Cute. Not very smart, but nice try... for an amateur. Go home and practice, little boy. :laugh:

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

You think you can score points by editing the link into your OP ten minutes after I posted my reply? :roll:

Cute. Not very smart, but nice try... for an amateur. Go home and practice, little boy. :laugh:

Originally posted by: XMan

Desepertion? What's that, a medical condition?

Ah. Thanks for noting the typo. I fixed it.

LOL! Those in glass houses.....[/quote]

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

I posted it in the OP after you guys didn't pick up on it being a meme, not to make you look worse... :roll:

Actually, you caught me, it's a vast right wing conspiracy. Dangit! Outsmarted again :(

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

I posted it in the OP after you guys didn't pick up on it being a meme, not to make you look worse... :roll:

Actually, you caught me, it's a vast right wing conspiracy. Dangit! Outsmarted again :(

You should know better than to go against Harvey. He's very skilled in the ways of Wikipedia and teh Google.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Being VP isn't like applying for an office temp job, nobody hands you a job description. The fact that Palin said she didn't know what the VP did is NOT the same thing as saying the VP has no job description, it's saying SHE has no idea what she'd do with the job if she got it.

I agree with ZeroIQ that there is no set in stone job description, but that's the whole freaking point...Palin should be providing her own, not expecting one to be handed to her and acting confused when that doesn't happen.

Her answer has been, more or less, preside over the senate and she is being attacked over it.

So the VP should be a lapdog that brings nothing at all to the table in terms of ideas or plans for the future?

At least now I understand why you guys think Palin would be a good VP...

Colmes was going off about how Palin hasn't said what she would do as VP... but it's not her job set her job description, well... it is if the pres says she can. SO yes, the VP is a lapdog and was created to have very minimal power, unless decided otherwise by the POTUS.

That's great, except for the fact that the VP might some day have to sit in the big chair...and I'd feel better knowing the person filling that role wasn't just chosen to sit around and get coffee for the President. Even if it's not her job to lead, it's her job to be ready, and part of that means having SOME idea of what you want to accomplish in the White House, even if you don't have absolute power to do so.

She is giving her talking points, which is about all Biden is doing. Her being ready to hop in as president is not the point in of this thread, that has been discussed ad nauseam.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
WRONG WRONG WRONG
The President prescribes the Vice President's Executive duties and powers. The powers of the President of the Senate are entirely determined by that body. POTUS has absolutely no say in the role, duties or powers of any officer of the Congress.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
WRONG WRONG WRONG
The President prescribes the Vice President's Executive duties and powers. The powers of the President of the Senate are entirely determined by that body. POTUS has absolutely no say in the role, duties or powers of any officer of the Congress.

The Constitution says that the VP's only formal duties are to become the President if the POTUS is unable to serve. The VP also serves as the presiding officer of the senate and only votes in the event of a tie and certify votes (unless of course the VP is absent, then the senate chooses a president pro tempore).

EVERYTHING ELSE the VP does is at the whim of the POTUS.

So... where was I wrong?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
WRONG WRONG WRONG

/thread

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
WRONG WRONG WRONG

/thread

WRONG WRONG WRONG

The Constitution says that the VP's only formal duties are to become the President if the POTUS is unable to serve. The VP also serves as the presiding officer of the senate and only votes in the event of a tie and certify votes (unless of course the VP is absent, then the senate chooses a president pro tempore).

So... where was I wrong?

Uhh. ?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
WRONG WRONG WRONG
So... where was I wrong?
OK, wrong by implication.
You imply that Governor Palin was right about getting to "run the Senate" and "set policy" because "POTUS sets the VP's job description". POTUS has no say whatsoever what powers the VP has in the Senate; if they want, the Senators could tell VP Palin to call the Senate to order, then go sit in the corner and suck her thumb.

edit: clarification

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
WRONG WRONG WRONG
So... where was I wrong?
OK, wrong by implication.
You imply that Governor Palin was right about getting to "run the Senate" and "set policy" because "POTUS sets the VP's job description". POTUS has no say whatsoever what powers the VP has in the Senate; if they want, the Senators could tell VP Palin to call the Senate to order, then go sit in the corner and suck her thumb.

edit: clarification

I NEVER said she could set policy and I never said she presides over the senate because the POTUS sets the VP job description.

I think you need a little practice with reading comprehension.

EDIT: I never said any of the bolded, which you put in quotes. As far as the italicized, no they cannot. If the VP is not there they elect a president pro tempora but they cannot tell the VP to go pound sand once he/she calls everything to order.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

EDIT:
You morans.

Ummm...the VP in no way has to do what the President says to do. Constitutionally, the VP answers to nobody and has only 2 responsibilities...
1. Break a tie in the Senate
2. Have a heartbeat...

The VP does NOT serve at the pleasure of the President...

So that's BOTH you and Palin that don't get it? ;)

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Viditor

EDIT:
You morans.

Ummm...the VP in no way has to do what the President says to do. Constitutionally, the VP answers to nobody and has only 2 responsibilities...
1. Break a tie in the Senate
2. Have a heartbeat...

The VP does NOT serve at the pleasure of the President...

So that's BOTH you and Palin that don't get it? ;)

The VP does the job(s) the President gives them... which has been set by precedent and not by the Constitution. I didn't mean to imply that it was a Constitutional requirement of the office.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

The VP does the job(s) the President gives them... which has been set by precedent and not by the Constitution. I didn't mean to imply that it was a Constitutional requirement of the office.

That was my point actually...the VP can do whatever job he/she feels like. While POTUS may request the VP's cooperation and help, the VP does what the VP wants.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Viditor

That was my point actually...the VP can do whatever job he/she feels like. While POTUS may request the VP's cooperation and help, the VP does what the VP wants.

Well true, I guess. If the VP decides they want to play ping pong all day they can... but they can't really be put in leadership positions without the presidents blessing. However large their role is depends solely on what the president wants.

So, I think we're in agreement.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
How come so many people don't know what "moran" means?

Anyway, ZeroIQ surely does live up to his name.

"VP's only job, as defined by the constitution, is to preside over the senate and vote in the event of a tie. Oh and become the POTUS if he/she croaks. " Yet you say there is no job description...? LOL WUT.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821

"VP's only job, as defined by the constitution, is to preside over the senate and vote in the event of a tie. Oh and become the POTUS if he/she croaks. " Yet you say there is no job description...? LOL WUT.

LOL YEAH FUNNY STUFF.

I'm addressing the fact that people are ridiculing her for saying that she would preside over the senate and demanding she say what else she would do as if their is some of of bullet list of VP jobs.

Oh, and thanks for bringing up my name ;)

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: manowar821

LOL YEAH FUNNY STUFF.

I'm addressing the fact that people are ridiculing her for saying that she would preside over the senate and demanding she say what else she would do as if their is some of of bullet list of VP jobs.

Oh, and thanks for bringing up my name ;)

And I'm just addressing your logical fallacy. "There is no job description morans, here's the job description as per the constitution."

Da?