Hey!, I found 250 million masks!

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Problem is they were SOLD to foreign buyers in ONE DAY. Yup, your gonna be pissed when you read this, from a Forbes article,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...yers-and-this-is-what-i-learned/#403b05dc56d4
"By the end of the day, roughly 280 million masks from warehouses around the U.S. had been purchased by foreign buyers and were earmarked to leave the country, according to the broker — and that was in one day. "

Reactions: Aegeon

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Everyone loves the Free Market, until they dont get what they want.
But this is not about the latest gadget or newest phone you co worker snagged instead of you, these are life and death to those who are working in the hospitals, it's in this situation the Government should assume complete control and ensure they are not sold to an overseas client at outrageous profit.

Dec 10, 2005
But this is not about the latest gadget or newest phone you co worker snagged instead of you, these are life and death to those who are working in the hospitals, it's in this situation the Government should assume complete control and ensure they are not sold to an overseas client at outrageous profit.
The DPA could have been used to fill government orders first (as it is routinely done in other areas), but we're led by a nincompoop

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Problem is they were SOLD to foreign buyers in ONE DAY. Yup, your gonna be pissed when you read this, from a Forbes article,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...yers-and-this-is-what-i-learned/#403b05dc56d4
"By the end of the day, roughly 280 million masks from warehouses around the U.S. had been purchased by foreign buyers and were earmarked to leave the country, according to the broker — and that was in one day. "

I’m shocked. Who could have taken them?
KmnzaDG.jpg

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i wish i was surprised. our leadership should have stepped in and enforced the DPA and managed our existing supply but they didn't and Americans will die because of it.

MAGA my ass.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

THATS FREE MARKET!

thank you for proving my point.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I also hear this free market thing brings democracy, goodwill among men, and opportunity for all, if only the USA would follow China's lead and get rid of all those pesky rules and regulations that inhibit the free market like

minimum wages and labor laws,

FDA and other health organizations,

EPA,

OSHA,

etc. because we all know the free market will sort it all out in the name of that which is most sacrosanct above all

profit.

or we can do the next best thing and outsource everything, wash our hands of it while virtue signaling about workers right, human rights, environment, global warming while enjoying the profits and cheap throwaway goods of those outsourced products.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
SO .. if you wanna swat someone today .. .call in a 5000 mask hoarder ... copy

Reactions: Ajay

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Just gonna throw this here

Bernie never had a chance.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I don't understand what you're saying; to the free market those are equal. If I have more money I get it before you do. No matter what it is

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is something Trump could still fix quite easily with the defense production act, right? Is there any downside other than missed opportunity for profiteering?

Dec 10, 2005
This is something Trump could still fix quite easily with the defense production act, right? Is there any downside other than missed opportunity for profiteering?
The DPA gives the government the authority to get it's own orders filled first. But it requires someone exercising that authority

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So we allow masks to be shipped out of the country when we have a shortage. Sounds like the classic definition of doing a good job. I guess that's the Trump sliding scale.

Meanwhile Obama wears a tan suit, scandal!!

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
“We’re a country not based on nationalizing business,” said Trump.
‘We’re not a shipping clerk’: Trump

and just for amusement
March 15th

Last edited:

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Damn Trump for signing all of those free trade agreements and injecting capitalism intravenously into our health care system and supply chains.

are you intentionally ignoring the fact that the President has the power to temporarily stop the free market in case of an emergency like this pandemic?

Reactions: Vic and Aegeon